Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 469349 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4110 on: August 01, 2019, 05:43:14 am »

I had my first Beyond Meat burger. Did a little test to see if it was as good as some say, though it wasn't blind.

Tastewise, you can tell the difference if you taste the cooked patties on their own. But the difference can definitely be masked by the bread, salad, cheese, and condiments. Good on them.

The packaging could be better so I don't squish the patties when trying to get them out.

The patties really like to stick in the frying pan. Minor complaints that can be overlooked.

The one major complaint is still the price. It's 3€ per patty, as opposed to their meat-equivalent competitor at 1.5€ per patty (or 0.21€ if you go for the highly-processed "meat").

On the plus side, though, less GHG. Supposedly. Don't know where they source their ingredients, the patties definitely cannot be sourced entirely locally. So some GHG from transportation.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: August 02, 2019, 04:48:46 pm »

Ooh, I've heard of those things! I was dubious at first, but I'm hearing good things about 'em... maybe I'll stumble on one meself someday.

So I recently discovered the joys of sour cream and cheese. Slap some sour cream on a tortilla, dump some cheddar on it, throw the lot in a microwave for 30 seconds-- it's a thing of beauty! :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: August 02, 2019, 07:56:43 pm »

I attempted dumplings today! Didn't have a recipe, and after I started mixing the dough I realized that I also didn't have a rolling pin... So, uh, they were a bit... Dumpy.

But still! It was way outside of my comfort zone, and it was a real undertaking, something I don't really do much of. Was an experience!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: August 03, 2019, 12:38:52 am »

I think I need to get a few more recipes in my rotation.

Currently I'm doing low carb meals, eliminating as much sugar and processed foods as possible.

So breakfast is three free-range eggs with salt-only bacon, lunch is home-made cauliflower soup, and dinner is free range chicken with balsamic and olive oil green salad.

I wanna put some salmon into the rotation, but it's hard to find ocean caught. Everywhere I try they only have farmed salmon, which is just incomparable to the genuine article.

I think I'll do a beef night soon, provided I can find time to stop at the asian grocer. Korean BBQ with kimchi and sesame leaf wraps sounds like a winner to break up the rotation.

The beef stock I use for the cauliflower soup takes ages, but it's totally worth the effort. First it's 40 minutes to roast the beef bones in the oven, then into the slow cooker with one brown onion, one carrot, a splash of apple cider vinegar, ginger, tumeric, garlic, star anise, cinnamon, rosemary, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper, filled with filtered water. Slow cook for 8 hours overnight, strain out the solid ingredients, and stock is done!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: August 05, 2019, 10:36:22 am »

I attempted dumplings today! Didn't have a recipe, and after I started mixing the dough I realized that I also didn't have a rolling pin... So, uh, they were a bit... Dumpy.

But still! It was way outside of my comfort zone, and it was a real undertaking, something I don't really do much of. Was an experience!

A glass bottle (wine/booze bottle sized) works well as a rolling pin.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: August 06, 2019, 03:03:59 am »

Kombucha soft drink is surprisingly good! I've relented and tried it after the grocery store had the litre bottles on sale, finding that I actually enjoyed having a few billion bacteria in my drink. Sugar free but still sweet enough thanks to stevia, and I'm thinking this one will be my go-to sweet tooth craving treat.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: August 06, 2019, 12:32:57 pm »

A glass bottle (wine/booze bottle sized) works well as a rolling pin.

I ended up using a drinking glass, and I'm not exactly the most skilled when it comes to dough, so... The things were pretty thick and doughy. And my filling could have used a little work. Too chunky, leaving a lot of open space for air pockets.

But hey, they were edible! I didn't get sick or anything!

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: August 12, 2019, 08:43:47 am »

I made some stir fried chicken and tagliatelle yesterday. The recipe itself is fairly basic ( 1 chicken breast, half a red onion, 1 green pepper, ~1,5 tbsp olive oil, ~1,5 cups of dry white wine, salt, ground black pepper, paprika) but what made me wanting to post about it is that using some of the pasta water to turn* the residue "sauce" from the chicken into a more proper sauce turned out really great.

I'm familiar with the more asian style of stir fried chicken and noodles that rely on soy or some other kind of sauce for its "wet element" so I wasn't sure how it would turn out.

*like you do in some variations of carbonara
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: August 12, 2019, 09:57:07 am »

Teach the controversy: Tortelloni are just dumplings.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: August 12, 2019, 12:30:53 pm »

Them's fightin words!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: August 13, 2019, 10:30:54 am »

Second-rate perogis/empanadas/pasties.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: August 29, 2019, 08:17:18 am »

I've been experimenting with tuna mixes (as in, canned tuna + mayo) lately, and found that cinnamon actually complements the flavors quite well and helps round out the taste while cutting down a bit on any remaining fishy notes. I was inspired to try and do something with this, so I decided to make a pasta salad with tuna. Grabbed some lettuce, baby spinach, spring onions, cherry tomatoes and a bit of lemon juice to go along, plus a tiny drizzle of olive oil (along with the tuna mix itself, consisting of tuna, mayo, bit of mustard, black pepper and of course cinnamon).

It's... Alright. I just feel like I put a lot of ingredients and effort into this mix for it to all end up turning out fairly... I'unno, uninspired? The cherry tomatoes are kinda the best part of the whole thing, and I don't really even like tomatoes.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: August 29, 2019, 09:24:24 am »

Hmm I wonder if swapping (the I presume boiled) canned tuna with a smoked variant will give your salad the oomph it needs.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: August 29, 2019, 10:05:23 am »

The tuna salad is farily basic in its flavor profile for the most part, I fear adding too much random stuff is gonna lead to a mess. Have you tried a red sauce variant? Basically a mix of onion, carrot, pepper and tomato with canned tuna added near the end, and if you want some more stuff in there, canned corn or beans works pretty good with it as well. Goes great with any sort of pasta and makes for a pretty good summer lunch since it's tasty both warm and cold and is fairly light and quick to whip up.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: August 29, 2019, 11:36:29 am »

Going to make Mom's Rigatoni tonight. Can't wait. Since I substituted Beef Stock for water in the sauce, the recipe has gone from good to orgasmic.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 333