Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 469301 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4140 on: October 11, 2019, 08:18:56 pm »

So bear with me a moment.

Half-size chicken tendies. Purely for ease of cooking - I didn't have my big fry pot. Coat in your standard three coatings, but the third is half Italian breadcrumb and half cornmeal. Crispy and amazing. The breading sort of falls off if you're way too rough with them and acts more like the breading you'd generally put on catfish.

And then you go to your fridge and find your mustard. Push it aside to reveal your sweet Thai chili sauce. Push that aside as well to discover a half-empty tube...thing of Kewpie mayo. Put that shit all over your tendies.

Chow down. Kewpie mayo is great on everything but cold cut sandwiches. Ramen. Stir fry. Chicken tendies, apparently.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: October 14, 2019, 09:16:47 am »

I love that this is jokey, and also a reasonable recipe. I would suggest adding 1/3 of the cheese on the bottom (between sauce and toppings), and 2/3 on top, with the cheese attaching to the edge of the pizza just beyond the sauce, so the cheese and toppings work with the crust, instead of sliding off as soon as you take a bite. Also, throw the seasonings in with the salt while you're making the dough for better flavor. Because I'm a bougie fuck.

I would also add that allowing the dough to ferment for ~24 hours makes it much less gluteny (stretchy/bouncy) and more difficult to work with because it tears more easily, but it also tastes real good.

Although, as a lactose intolerant, I don't get as much pizza as I'd like.

mayo

No.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: October 16, 2019, 03:46:15 pm »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: October 16, 2019, 04:37:20 pm »

A classic, almost as good as Long Man taffy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: October 28, 2019, 03:46:41 am »

My wife absolutely insisted that we try a fried egg on our french bread pizza, which you may know as pizza toast. It was a huge pain to actually eat for not that much gain in flavor. That is all.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: October 28, 2019, 04:02:58 am »

I slow-cooked a corned beef for 8 hours yesterday after roasting it in the oven briefly for a half hour to take away some of the bloody aftertaste. Today I diced it, drained and strained the stock from the pot, added sliced potato, pumpkin, onion, carrot and tomato passata for sauce mixed with the roast stock. Put it all back in the slow cooker, and I'm cooking it again tonight for another 8 hours.

Can't wait to try it tomorrow. It's gonna be melt-in-your-mouth tender, with all the flavour of the herbs I'd used during the first cook. I've already used the leftover stock to make a simple beef stock soup and it's delicious.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4146 on: October 28, 2019, 06:18:06 am »

On the topic of slow cooking, classic winter stew has to be the meal that punches highest above its effort class I've cooked recently. Brown some onions, brown some beef; add herbs and spices of your choice (I went with parsley, thyme, paprika, and black pepper), turf in diced turnip, carrot, potato, and celery, add water, and simmer until you want to eat it. I added a bit of milk as well because I'm a sucker for creamy textures.

It's absolutely loaded with flavour, and takes about 20 minutes of active work if you pipeline everything properly.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: October 30, 2019, 03:59:42 am »

Rice crackers + hummus     
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: October 31, 2019, 01:56:58 pm »

This is a sort of continuation of a discussion in the fitness thread about food and nutrition, were quick to make foods were mentioned. The recipe itself is quite trivial (it's basically just a salad or a glorified tost when you break it down to the ingredients) and it's my go to food when I just can't be bothered to make anything else.

Basic ingredients:

• 80g of rusks, preferably from barley but it can be substituted with any kind of double baked bread.
  • 80g feta cheese. Again it can be substituted with other types of cheese but I would advise against anything like cheddar, gouda etc. I haven't tried it with mocharela but my guess is it would probably lack the necessary flavor to offset the vinegar.
  • 1-2 tomatoes
  • 1-2 tablespoons of oil (preferably olive oil)
  • salt, ground black pepper, (balsamic) vinegar to taste

Other stuff you can add (optional):
  • (boiled) eggs
  • olives
  • bell peppers
  • cucumber
  • oregano

As I said the thing is trivial to make requiring about 10-20 minutes depending of what extras you might want to add (if any).

• Wet the rusks slightly (pass them under running water but for less than 2 seconds or they'll get too mushy) and put them in a bowl or deep plate. If they are too large you can always break them to smaller pieces
  • Add a good amount of vinegar on the rusks  (as much as you want really) and some salt/ground pepper.
  • Slice the tomatoes over the rusks, you want any juice that drips while slice to fall on the rusks. Put the tomato pieces over the rusks. Alternatively you can grind the tomatoes to a salsa-like consistency with a food processor and then spread it over the rusk (in that case you can skip the wetting part).
  • Break the cheese in small pieces and put them on top of everything. If you don't mind getting your hands messy, hold the feta cheese between your hands and squeeze them. It will drip some of its fluids and then it will be very easy to crumble with your fingers.
  • You can add the olive oil in any of the previous steps depending on which ingredient's taste you want to enhance. If you choose to put over the rusks, do so after putting the vinegar, otherwise it will prevent it from being absorbed.

ps 1: If you want to use barley rusks but can't find any ( I have no idea if they are as easily available abroad as in Greece ) you can make your own. Indicative recipe here (I haven't tried it though).

ps 2: It's a quite popular dish in Greek (and I guess in the wider eastern mediterranean) cuisine and it's often promoted as a traditional meze. As everything else found in most tourist places they LOVE to overcharge for it.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: November 01, 2019, 10:38:50 am »

Iduno has recent viewed a recipe for candy corn chicken wings and felt nothing.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: November 01, 2019, 10:47:51 am »

Guga says hi.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: November 01, 2019, 11:00:29 am »

Guga says hi.

Oh man... Y'know, I love this guy, but sometimes?

Sometimes I hate him.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: November 01, 2019, 11:12:13 am »

Ok, here's a weird one.

My company has gotten control of another company that makes pasta from crickets.

And apparently it tastes like shit.

It's just seminola flour and cricket powder, that's the only ingredients.

We're going to start experimenting with it to see if we can improve the flavor at all.

The people making it weren't foodies and put very little in it, I think to sell people on the idea that just bugs can be foods.

Turns out, surprising no one, that just bugs and some flour isn't exactly palatable.

So I'm sitting here thinking how the recipe can be improved.

Salt, for flavor. Eggs, for fat and flavor. Oil, for fat and flavor. These things are usually in pasta to begin with. It doesn't really need help with binding as I understand it, it's already getting that from the protein in the cricket powder.

Any thoughts from the hive mind?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: November 01, 2019, 11:36:22 am »

Any idea what it tastes like besides "bad?"
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: November 01, 2019, 11:44:12 am »

Any idea what it tastes like besides "bad?"

This.

Also are we looking how to redesign the base product or how could one make something on their own to make them palatable?
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 333