Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 469369 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4155 on: November 01, 2019, 11:50:25 am »

Also are we looking how to redesign the base product or how could one make something on their own to make them palatable?

Have they considered that "toppings" would be a better idea, and also easier to make? That, or really start trolling them with bad ideas "people like alfredo sauce on pasta, how about noodles made of alredo sauce?" I literally just came up with that idea trying to come up with bad ideas, and I don't think it lives up to their plan.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: November 01, 2019, 11:53:59 am »

I haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on why it's bad. But I imagine I will at some point. Texture was mentioned as a problem in addition to the taste. I'm basically picturing a batch of steamed crickets and what that would smell like and my brain is coming back with "it probably smells like dirt." The pasta is this is REALLY SUPER ATTRACTIVE grey color, too.

Also are we looking how to redesign the base product or how could one make something on their own to make them palatable?

Yes, I suppose. It really comes down to what the angle is. For me, if it tastes like shit the only people that are going to buy it are vegans and woke millennials. I'm actually interested in it for its nutritional content, because it's got like 10g of protein for a half cup which for pasta is pretty great.

Like, I think just adding things that pasta normally has would go a long way towards making it edible. But if the plan is to keep it animal product free and w/e, well, I'm not super interested in pursuing that. I don't know a shitload about pasta making so I'm wondering what else can be done other than adding in the usual suspects. You can season stuff all you want but if the base it's going over is blech, all you're really doing it concealing it.

My brother mentioned maybe trying to purify the powder to remove whatever doesn't taste good, but I'm guess what doesn't taste good is also what gives it most of its nutritional value, which is namely chitin.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 11:56:28 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: November 01, 2019, 11:57:05 am »

How is the cricket powder processed? Is it just ground up crickets, or is it bleached or broken down in any way? Have they tried any other bugs, or is this their first pass at such a product?

There has to be plant substitutes for oils and fats, if they really want that badly to keep it free of animal products. At least, the presence of almond- and cashew-based milks and yogurts seems to suggest so.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: November 01, 2019, 12:01:24 pm »

I'm just stuck trying to figure out why vegans, of all people, are being considered as possible consumers of something explicitly made from / of animals.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: November 01, 2019, 12:02:52 pm »

I believe it's just straight up ground crickets. I don't think it's blanched or boiled or anything. They've been in business for a few years now so I imagine this is as close as scientists could get to a workable product. Minimally processed seemed to be their guiding principle here.

There are plenty of plant-based options for oil and fat, like olive oil etc...

Really depends on what the folks here want to do. I don't drive the bus, I just sit on it. My druthers would be ditch the whole keto-friendly (which it has 38g of carbs per half cup so that already is out the window) vegan, animal-free angle and just make it edible. At that point it's basically protein-fortified pasta.

I'm just stuck trying to figure out why vegans, of all people, are being considered as possible consumers of something explicitly made from / of animals.

Insects are technically animals but since they're not cute I'm sure they don't register on most vegan's radars as a problem.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: November 01, 2019, 12:03:21 pm »

The only commercially-available bug pasta I'm aware of seems to be using 20% cricket flour and a blend of semolina, durum, and maybe some other type of flour. It looks like pasta with flecks and apparently has the texture of whole wheat pasta, which some people have issues with.

If the stuff you're working with is gray, maybe reduce the percentage?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: November 01, 2019, 12:22:58 pm »

Well, a colony of crickets or roaches has far smaller ecological impact than traditional meat, so there's at least one argument against meat/dairy appeased.

Also, I imagine some people are vegetarian/vegan for health concerns, not just ethical.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: November 01, 2019, 12:30:10 pm »

Oooooooh a food thread.

I cook :[]

I like to experiment and make new things. Like I just made pork loin, but also made a sesame/sage/sherry sauce to go on it and it is amazing.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: November 01, 2019, 12:50:11 pm »

I think the reason behind using only flour and the ground crickets is to ensure a good shelf life for the pasta. I'm not sure but i think the usual store bought pasta don't have anything else other than flour and water. If that is true then there isn't much that can be done on the pasta itself and like the ordinary pasta it's up to the condiments to actually give them any flavor.

For the base product:

1) Grinding the crickets more should help with the texture issues.
2) I know that in a lot of the recipes involving bugs they tend to deep fry them, which might help enhancing their flavor.
3) Roasting the flour is also a common way to boost its flavor, but it's mostly used in sauces. And in beers.

Heating processes are quite costly so I'm not how viable the end product will be.

For the condiments:

Since it already has a protein source, I would focus on stuff that can give them a strong flavor, garlic and butter were my first thought besides salt.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: November 01, 2019, 01:16:11 pm »

Checking my favorite brand of regular store bought pasta, it contains no seasonings, no egg, no oil. And it keeps very well.

So yeah, adding anything like oil, butter, or eggs will drastically reduce the shelf life of it.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: November 01, 2019, 01:41:53 pm »

I tried doing a poached egg in the microwave because I'm tired of messing with crappy pans and melted spatulas. It turned out great, except for it exploding with the force of a hand grenade in the microwave. My only sin was doing it for exactly ten seconds longer than the recipe said.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: November 01, 2019, 02:03:55 pm »

I tried doing a poached egg in the microwave because I'm tired of messing with crappy pans and melted spatulas. It turned out great, except for it exploding with the force of a hand grenade in the microwave. My only sin was doing it for exactly ten seconds longer than the recipe said.

A metal serving spoon is much less likely to melt.

Although, at best, poached eggs are barely worth the effort.

Wizard of Manaia

• Bay Watcher
  • Mmm lignin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: November 01, 2019, 03:20:46 pm »

I feel like you don't know what a poached egg is.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: November 01, 2019, 04:50:55 pm »

Shots fired!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: November 01, 2019, 05:55:10 pm »

I feel like you don't know what a poached egg is.

It's an egg over easy with 4 times the prep time and half the success rate.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 333