Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 473883 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4170 on: November 01, 2019, 06:00:34 pm »

A Poached Egg is one that you gather in the wild from a protected area from an endangered egg-laying species.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 06:24:42 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Wizard of Manaia

• Bay Watcher
  • Mmm lignin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: November 01, 2019, 06:02:51 pm »

Get some simmering vinegar water, not boiling! Get your egg crack it into a cup mug or ramekin, something like that, before putting egg in water it pays to whisk it so theres a vortex, then put the egg in. It will be done in little time.
The preparation of your food should not be seen as a waste of your time, you are fueling yourself, enjoy the process and take your time, what else do you have to do but waste time?
My success rate is 100%

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: November 01, 2019, 06:29:41 pm »

I like to make simple stuff! I roasted a pork loin and then made up a tasty sauce.

Sauce was a regular butter + flour roux, added sherry and sage and pepper and lots of sesame. Milk for volume and reduce. One of the best-tasting sauces I ever made :3
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: November 02, 2019, 12:45:09 am »

My wife insists on putting sherry or white wine vinegar any time we make pasta or vegetables, but I'm not really clear on what it's doing for the flavor.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: November 02, 2019, 05:25:58 am »

I put sherry in my beef strogranoff. Gives it a slightly tangy, kind of savory flavor along with the beef.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4175 on: November 02, 2019, 10:05:16 am »

I tried doing a poached egg in the microwave because I'm tired of messing with crappy pans and melted spatulas. It turned out great, except for it exploding with the force of a hand grenade in the microwave. My only sin was doing it for exactly ten seconds longer than the recipe said.

That's a perennial peril of cooking eggs in the microwave. The only surefire way to avoid it is to beat the egg so that the yolk no longer develops sealed-off steam cavities. Alternatively, you can do what my father sometimes does, which is accept that explosions are a part of life and put a plate over the container to reduce the damage.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: November 02, 2019, 10:24:41 am »

My wife insists on putting sherry or white wine vinegar any time we make pasta or vegetables, but I'm not really clear on what it's doing for the flavor.

I mean, sherry sauces do taste different. Tastes like a sherry sauce. Has a wonderful sweet flavor to it.

Never tried it on vegetables. Will have to do that.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: November 02, 2019, 04:22:17 pm »

Update on poached eggs. The first microwave I tried it with is 700 watts. My wife's microwave is 1000 watts. Two more eggs were exploded before I got the timing down.

I'm starting to just hate eggs.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: November 02, 2019, 04:45:23 pm »

I bought half of the stuff for potstickers (they didn't have green onion or reasonable-sized wonton wrappers at the first store I went to). Cooking potstickers is fun and delicious, and with only a moderate chance of splattering or burning yourself.

Ground pork (or turkey, or whatever), chopped veggies (cabbage, green onion, water chestnut, ginger root, whatever), toss it in a wonton. Make sure your pan is real hot, so browning takes a few seconds.  Use whatever setting you use on your stove to (barely) boil water, because you'll want the water to boil when it hits the oil without the oil itself burning. Put a few (half full or less) in the pan with hot oil until they brown, put the cover half over it, very quickly toss some water in as you're closing the lid, and let them steam. Seriously, be ready to have the cover on as soon as the water hits the oil. It will steam and splatter. Serve with a combination of soy sauce and chili oil.

It's fun to watch the lid rattle around while the steam tries to escape. Makes a good show for guests.

Update on poached eggs. The first microwave I tried it with is 700 watts. My wife's microwave is 1000 watts. Two more eggs were exploded before I got the timing down.

They take pretty exact timing, and it happens somewhat quickly. Cooking it on the stove is slower, so that window of "cooked correctly" is longer. I'd advise doing that, and also not leaving the kitchen or trying to do anything else while it's cooking. Also, you don't want the water to boil at any point.

Also, they sell eggs by the dozen so you can cook 4-6 of them correctly every time. More, if your standards are low.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: November 02, 2019, 06:13:01 pm »

Oh my goodness I want to make pot stickers now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: November 02, 2019, 06:31:02 pm »

The less time sensitive (but also less entertaining method) for pot stickers is to just steam them first then pan sear them afterward.

I usually make my maybe Szechuan Sauce out of soy, sesame oil, ginger powder, garlic powder, maybe a little honey. I should try some chili oil. Right after the potstickers are done searing, I throw that in the pan while it's hot and swish it around for a little bit so it's nice and piping hot.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 06:33:48 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: November 02, 2019, 06:51:26 pm »

The less time sensitive (but also less entertaining method) for pot stickers is to just steam them first then pan sear them afterward.

I usually make my maybe Szechuan Sauce out of soy, sesame oil, ginger powder, garlic powder, maybe a little honey. I should try some chili oil. Right after the potstickers are done searing, I throw that in the pan while it's hot and swish it around for a little bit so it's nice and piping hot.

That is how I always had them made. What are the benefits to the brown-then-steam method?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: November 03, 2019, 01:22:41 am »

A guy I lived with boiled eggs right in the electric kettle. I can verify, if you get the amount of water right it works a treat. However if you have too little water the egg(s) crack because it boils too fast. Also after the kettle turns off you might need to let it sit for X number of seconds so that it's cooked to the level you want. Pull them straight out after the kettle stops and they might be runny/uncooked. Regular kettles make decent cheap automatic egg boilers but you need some kitchen science since there's no instruction manual for this.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 01:29:00 am by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: November 03, 2019, 12:38:21 pm »

That is how I always had them made. What are the benefits to the brown-then-steam method?

Faster and more awesome.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: November 03, 2019, 05:11:06 pm »

That's a perennial peril of cooking eggs in the microwave. The only surefire way to avoid it is to beat the egg so that the yolk no longer develops sealed-off steam cavities. Alternatively, you can do what my father sometimes does, which is accept that explosions are a part of life and put a plate over the container to reduce the damage.

I do both of these things, and only occasionally does egg plaster the microwave walls.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 333