Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 473700 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4260 on: December 04, 2019, 10:19:05 am »

I have one but I don't have any exact amounts, it's a sort of put-as-much-as-you-want family recipe for scented tea.

Put a couple of dried figs, some cloves, a cinnamon stick, a piece of orange peel (with little to none of the white stuff) and a piece of ginger root in a pot, fill it with water and let them boil for 5-10 minutes. Use the water to brew some (black) tea with it.

I prefer it as is, but you can always put some honey or sugar in it.

edit: Speaking of mulled wines, you can always substitute the wine for raki or any similar drink, if you want something stronger. I'd presonally avoid the ones that are scented with anise though.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:28:59 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: December 04, 2019, 11:29:43 am »

Hot buttered rum.

1/2 rum of your choce.
1/2 boiling water.
Take a nice slab of butter and toss it on top, let it melt out.

It'll warm you right up.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: December 04, 2019, 01:18:10 pm »

Well, winter finally reached me. It snapped down to 6 degrees today.

Anyone got any recipes for warm winter-time drinks? My go-to has been pine tea for a while but would like to change it up a bit.

Mulled Sangria is good if you've got fresh fruit. Pour a whole bottle of sangria (or similar) into a pot and heat it up just below a simmer. Toss in a few sticks of cinnamon, a cut up orange, lime, whatever fruit. When it's hot, pour it in a glass with some brandy. If it's too dry, add a bit more fruit juice.

Also, Ibarra/Abuelita (or a good version) is good enough hot chocolate. Heat some cream (a bit less than the recipe recommends, and don't use lower-fat dairy unless you want to curdle it), break the chocolate up as best you can (it's thick) and get it to melt in the cream. Pour it in a glass with spiced rum.

And Irish punch is good for sore throats/excessive sobriety. Squeeze the juice out of a 1/4 lemon, add some whole cloves, and a little honey ("to taste"). Add a shot or two of decent whisky (doesn't need to be great; you're mixing it), fill the other half of the glass with nearly-boiling water.  Try not to drink the cloves, unless that's what you're into.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: December 04, 2019, 03:05:29 pm »

Mulled Red Wine, yeah. In Germany they call it "Gluhwein."

It will certainly warm you up.......but I found the hot wine coats the inside of your mouth until you can't taste anything but it.

Also after I had several cups of it in a night, I had a nasty hang over the next day. I don't know if it was just a regular wine hangover or what....but I feel like the act of heating it up actually makes it hit you harder/dehydrates you more, something.

So like a cup of it is ok but I would tread carefully after that. To this day I just remember how shit I felt the next morning.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: December 04, 2019, 03:38:00 pm »

Makin peetza in me bigass toaster oven
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: December 04, 2019, 06:08:39 pm »

Makin peetza in me bigass toaster oven

I've been craving pizza again. Lactose intolerance sucks (but at least is less bad than an allergy). That's the only thing I can think of that a cast iron pan does better than a regular pan.

Someone make this Spinach Artichoke Dip Deep Dish Pizza and tell me how good it tastes:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: December 05, 2019, 05:31:42 pm »

"You don't need a rice cooker to cook rice; you can just make it in a pot"

You don't need shoes to go for a morning jog, but it sure makes things easier.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: December 05, 2019, 05:53:35 pm »

Meanwhile I'm all "You don't need a pot to cook pasta/veggies/meat, you can just make it in a rice cooker."
Usually alongside some rice, but not always...  It's just a hot plate with a temperature switch for when the water's depleted.  Heck, if you don't clean the vent it starts to resemble a pressure cooker (;
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: December 06, 2019, 02:39:12 pm »

I’ve never owned anything more complex than an electric whisk in terms of cookery. Rice cookers are a luxury that I didn’t know existed until I happened to spot one. There are so many complex devices used to cook nowadays, I feel almost left out, having used the same stainless steel pot for my porridge since I was born.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: December 06, 2019, 02:51:27 pm »

I've never had an issue cooking rice in a pot before. :-\

My wife wants all sorts of specialized cookware for exotic or unusual dishes, including a special iron for making takoyaki. Were we to have such a device, I imagine we'd use it once before it gets resigned to the cupboard forever.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: December 06, 2019, 02:55:14 pm »

Yeah I always did a pot. Rice never came out bad or anything.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: December 06, 2019, 03:04:01 pm »

Same.  I've seen tricks and gadgets people use to make sure rice comes out right, and... I just don't have problems with it.  What normally happens if something goes wrong?

Do rice cookers cook it faster?  That would be a valid reason to use one even if it didn't make it easier.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: December 06, 2019, 03:14:18 pm »

They’rr supposed to prevent rice coming out bad or sludgy or onto the oven/countertop in a cascade of boiling hot rice water as your home is claimed by an endless stream of rice-filled magma/water of death. They might also be faster too, yeah.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: December 06, 2019, 03:15:41 pm »

It is easy to let is overcook in a pot, but I usually just watch it so that it does not.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: December 06, 2019, 05:19:42 pm »

I had to learn a little about rice cooking in a pot, but after a few tries, it's easy.

The real advantage to a rice cooker is that you can always have rice cooking without having to babysit it. People in to meal prep and fitness eating swear by them, because they can always have rice ready to go without worrying about it overcooking or burning and what not. Personally, I don't enough rice often enough to justify the purchase.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 333