Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 469310 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4320 on: December 31, 2019, 04:16:16 pm »

Yeah, the 10 to 15 minute cook time on chicken prevents it from being a viable food truck item. Most people don't expect to stand around that long in front of a food truck.

Yeah, you could possibly do a donair-type thing, or just a warming cabinet full of chicken like the Carne Asadas place here (grilled marinated chicken, so it's super moist).

I'm not joking, though. If I left a restaurant and someone offered me shwarma, I'd be reaching for my wallet.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: December 31, 2019, 04:35:34 pm »

I made a hard-boiled egg by baking it in my oven and it came out pretty fine.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: December 31, 2019, 04:44:57 pm »

I want to tell you that's not what words mean, but I've made "twice baked potato balls", where the second baking is in a deep fryer.

You need a big bowl to mix it all in, because nearly 50% of the finished product is potato.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: December 31, 2019, 06:35:14 pm »

I want to tell you that's not what words mean, but I've made "twice baked potato balls", where the second baking is in a deep fryer.

You need a big bowl to mix it all in, because nearly 50% of the finished product is potato.

What do you call it when you make an egg, and its solid all the way through, but you didn't use water? Baked Eggses?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Tingle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: January 01, 2020, 02:05:58 am »

Eggs have water in them... A block of dehydrated egg powder?
This mystery must be solved

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: January 01, 2020, 03:07:14 am »

Made some "Fauxjitas" for lunch today.

Brought frozen fajita meat in a bag, some corn tortillas, and the veggies to make them...

Brought them to work.  Since we cannot use skillets of any kind at work, I instead brought my industrial hot air gun. (I keep it clean and tidy, so it's fine)  Microwaved the veggies than hot-aired them to give them the carmelization they needed.

Worked out pretty good all things considered.  Still not real fajitas though.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: January 02, 2020, 03:03:38 am »

I have a sudden desire to add cinnamon to the salsa I've been eating, and then I came in here to talk about it and there have been at least two mentions of cinnamon in the last couple pages.
Wild.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: January 02, 2020, 03:16:22 am »

Do you want salsa, or chutney?

Because it sounds like what you really want is chutney...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: January 02, 2020, 03:25:05 am »

Chutney ain't spicy, though! I want to have my cake and burn my asshole with it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 03:30:08 am by wierd »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: January 02, 2020, 03:40:46 am »

"Chutney" is another one of those words that isn't nearly as specific as we might think it is, like curry or masala.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: January 02, 2020, 08:47:07 am »

What do you call it when you make an egg, and its solid all the way through, but you didn't use water? Baked Eggses?

Yeah, I had the same thing with the "once baked and once fried potatoes, with the same ingredients as a twice-baked potato." Although "I baked an egg in the shell, it was good" is shorter and more impressive.

Made some "Fauxjitas" for lunch today.

Brought frozen fajita meat in a bag, some corn tortillas, and the veggies to make them...

Brought them to work.  Since we cannot use skillets of any kind at work, I instead brought my industrial hot air gun. (I keep it clean and tidy, so it's fine)  Microwaved the veggies than hot-aired them to give them the carmelization they needed.

Worked out pretty good all things considered.  Still not real fajitas though.

I've also had good luck with re-heating fajita ingredients once they're cooked well.

"Chutney" is another one of those words that isn't nearly as specific as we might think it is, like curry or masala.

Yeah, but chutney is mostly Indian (and they like spice), where curry is a spice that gives its name to anything you put it in.

Edit: Yeah, just toss some cinnamon into that salsa, and report back. It sounds decent.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 09:02:15 am by Iduno »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: January 02, 2020, 09:11:30 am »

Except a large number of curries don't even include curry leaves as an ingredient. The word "curry" just means "sauce", much like "salsa". And while a habanero salsa is indeed spicy, the marinara on a plate of spaghetti is also a salsa.

It's just that the words have different associations in English than they do in their native languages, because of the specific uses we've been exposed to.

And heck, most of what we ate in Hyderabad (which is reasonably southerly, and the rule of thumb is that the food gets spicier the farther south you go) didn't even register as hot for us, so while there was certainly a lot of spice (oh lord, was there ever... [Sounds of salivating]), there wasn't necessarily a lot of spicy...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4333 on: January 02, 2020, 01:17:31 pm »

Doesn't curry specifically refer to a sauce with yoghurt? I haven't heard the curry leaves one before, and I don't find their flavour strong enough to be defining for any dish. Maybe I just don't use enough...

Proper Indian chutneys can be fantastic. Also atchars, which are similar but formally distinct. They're also much easier to find than amchoor, which I've never actually seen in a shop despite having spent some time living in a city legendary for its Indian diaspora.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: January 02, 2020, 01:40:59 pm »

Meriam-Webster defines curry as "to clean the coat of (an animal, such as a horse) with a currycomb." Clearly...

Except a large number of curries don't even include curry leaves as an ingredient. The word "curry" just means "sauce", much like "salsa". And while a habanero salsa is indeed spicy, the marinara on a plate of spaghetti is also a salsa.

Salsa is just sauce, but Curry is either from Old English for Cuisine, or Tamil (Kari) for charcoal. Neither of those tells anyone anything, so you have to go with the understood meaning as opposed to defined meaning.
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 333