Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 469497 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4440 on: March 30, 2020, 10:35:23 am »

Depends on the beans, some take longer and more prep than others.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: March 30, 2020, 12:07:37 pm »

Okay. I'm shooting for a week of soaking this time. I added some garlic salt to the water and I'm leaving them in the fridge. Hopefully that will prevent anything trying to grow in the water.

Edit: And I made a good omelette. Cut up some green peppers (wash everything extra well) into ~thumb-sized "squares", heated them in the pan with a bit of oil, once they started to sizzle a bit and smell good, I threw some garlic salt and other seasonings in the pan, and beat the eggs until they were full of air. mixed the veg and seasonings one last time before pouring the egg over it, covered with a lid, and let it cook. I turned off the heat before flipping the omelette. Everything was still fluffy while being cooked all the way through. The salt brought out the other flavors nicely.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:16:16 pm by Iduno »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: March 30, 2020, 02:44:44 pm »

I'll let you try my pork pancake *eyebrow waggling intensifies*... wait, I don't think that turned out right. Cancel those waggles.

Aww yeah boi, I like 'em thicc and * F L A T *

Like an alien saucer, Unidentified Flying Penis
Thick and flat makes me think of uromastyx tummy scritches which are not to be eaten because they eat flowers.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: March 31, 2020, 11:27:35 am »

Okay. I'm shooting for a week of soaking this time. I added some garlic salt to the water and I'm leaving them in the fridge. Hopefully that will prevent anything trying to grow in the water.
Maybe I use normie beans or something, but I've never had to soak for more than about 30 hours. I think even with salt, your beans are going to get sour. I don't refrigerate soaking beans though, so I don't really know what effect that will have (aside from slow down the soak obviously) but I think it depends a lot on what kind of microbes live where you're at. At least where I'm at, it's easy to tell. Once the top of the water starts to have a foam of protein, then it's time to freeze or use the beans or else they'll be sour.

Speaking of, one thing you can try is to freeze it after soaking, which breaks the cells apart. Personally I tend not to find it necessary, but my grandmother* insisted it was the key to good beans. I find the cook time to be the most important.

When I do it, I bring the beans to boil for 20 minutes or however long it turns out to be, but that kind of ballpark, and then set them on a high simmer for the rest of the afternoon. This works if you're cooking them straight up (although I've never tried without at least some salt and garlic) or if they're already in something like chili.

Since types have been brought up, I'll discuss that as well, although it's hard to do it entirely in In English, because in English beans are just beans. In Spanish I use frijoles and habichuellas, which are small flavorful beans and medium sized ones with more of a starchy texture. I can verify that it works okay with alubias (the big white ones that make you fart) but I don't use them since they're not my preference. I don't know about porotos (big colored ones with more tooth).
As for some of the specific cultivars that I have in my pantry right now, I can only find an English name for kidney beans and navy beans. Other than that I'm only getting translations like "black bean" and "small red bean" which is maybe not so helpful.

Anyway, I've never had difficulty making beans of any kind so I don't know that this is the issue to begin with. But I'm also not tasting your beans so who knows what's going on.

*not the sort of grandmother who has been perfecting her technique for half a century though, don't assume the near-divine culinary expertise that some people attribute to that age class.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: March 31, 2020, 12:09:35 pm »

Maybe I use normie beans or something, but I've never had to soak for more than about 30 hours. I think even with salt, your beans are going to get sour. I don't refrigerate soaking beans though, so I don't really know what effect that will have (aside from slow down the soak obviously) but I think it depends a lot on what kind of microbes live where you're at. At least where I'm at, it's easy to tell. Once the top of the water starts to have a foam of protein, then it's time to freeze or use the beans or else they'll be sour.

Speaking of, one thing you can try is to freeze it after soaking, which breaks the cells apart. Personally I tend not to find it necessary, but my grandmother* insisted it was the key to good beans. I find the cook time to be the most important.

When I do it, I bring the beans to boil for 20 minutes or however long it turns out to be, but that kind of ballpark, and then set them on a high simmer for the rest of the afternoon. This works if you're cooking them straight up (although I've never tried without at least some salt and garlic) or if they're already in something like chili.

Since types have been brought up, I'll discuss that as well, although it's hard to do it entirely in In English, because in English beans are just beans. In Spanish I use frijoles and habichuellas, which are small flavorful beans and medium sized ones with more of a starchy texture. I can verify that it works okay with alubias (the big white ones that make you fart) but I don't use them since they're not my preference. I don't know about porotos (big colored ones with more tooth).
As for some of the specific cultivars that I have in my pantry right now, I can only find an English name for kidney beans and navy beans. Other than that I'm only getting translations like "black bean" and "small red bean" which is maybe not so helpful.

Haricots Rouges, according to the bag. I think the last ones started going sour, and also were still crunchy. Maybe they're "supposed to" be almost crunchy?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: March 31, 2020, 12:28:47 pm »

Haricots Rouges, according to the bag. I think the last ones started going sour, and also were still crunchy. Maybe they're "supposed to" be almost crunchy?
I think that should be more or less just the same as the kidney bean I have, so although it's not the softest of cultivars, it shouldn't be to the extent that it can be called crunchy. Anyways three days should definitely be more time than they need to soak, so it's definitely a question of cooking rather than soaking. Especially if you're comparing to canned beans and want that kind of texture, you need to cook them for a long time at a low temperature.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: March 31, 2020, 12:34:30 pm »

I think that should be more or less just the same as the kidney bean I have, so although it's not the softest of cultivars, it shouldn't be to the extent that it can be called crunchy. Anyways three days should definitely be more time than they need to soak, so it's definitely a question of cooking rather than soaking. Especially if you're comparing to canned beans and want that kind of texture, you need to cook them for a long time at a low temperature.

Yeah, I was probably cooking them too hot, and for too short a period of time.

Edit: I made them again. 3 days soaking, simmered for 2 hours, then cooked them (about 1 setting above simmer) for another 2, had to add more water twice. Pretty good this time.

Also, I read that you can make something that is a lot like ice cream using only bananas. The ones I had were getting soft and the peels were turning brown, so I tried it. In fact, you can turn bananas into slightly more textured bananas by freezing and blending them (cut them up before freezing, maybe don't completely freeze them, then put the mixture back in the freezer for about 30 minutes to slightly harden). Also, they are colder. It's nothing like what was claimed, but if you still want to eat bananas despite their increasing age, it's a pretty good option. You can also add other stuff to it to make it taste like something other than banana. And you probably don't want to try more than 2 bananas at once.

Edit2: Now that my food processor is clean after the frozen bananas, I made hummus. I started the pita bread dough a few days ago, because my yeast is old (I let the yeast go for a day in warm water with a bit of sugar and flour for a day first). It turned out well, except when I added the onion salt (it's what I have), the cap fell off. The good news is, I will not have to worry about eating too much hummus in a short period of time. It's not bad, but it gets too salty after a few bites.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 05:12:15 pm by Iduno »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: April 07, 2020, 02:47:50 pm »

On my most recent shopping outing, I was unable to buy flour or bread (I mentioned in another thread having to try to make pitas out of gluten-free flour). However, I was able to buy 2 full-sized bags of Fuego Takis, so I'll live. I'll get out the hummus I made, and report back.

Edit: Hot chips and hummus is a meal. We have a victory. Time to toss gluten-free bread in the trash.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 02:53:01 pm by Iduno »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: April 07, 2020, 02:53:49 pm »

My boredom baking thus far:

Mini egg cheesecake (delicious, easy to make)
American-style pancakes with a cherry-blueberry sauce
Lemon Meringue (took aggggges to make. Did it for my mum. She can't have store-bought because she's allergic, so I made one without the dangerous colourings. She loved it, I thought it was okay)
Another cheesecake (I love cheesecake)
Victoria sponge cake
Wholegrain bread (that was today, very yeasty, but I liked it)

Next up is apple pie.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: April 07, 2020, 03:00:55 pm »

My "trying to eat at home" meals since this all started:

-Beef Stroganoff. Lasted me about 5 meals.
-Chicken Pasta Salad. Lasted me about 5 meals.
-Beef Rigatoni. Lasted me about 5 meals.

Running out of options so I think I'll probably make chili here soon.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: April 07, 2020, 05:43:00 pm »

I'm baking my first-ever loaf of bread, having been lucky enough to score some flour and yeast today. The dough is rising as I type this and I have no goddamn clue how it's going to turn out, but I'm excited.

I bet it's going to come out and literally just be a plain, boring loaf of white bread, but I can dream.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: April 07, 2020, 06:12:29 pm »

In my experience, yeah, that's more or less what you get.  The bread tastes like bread.  The different in my experience is that the crust can be much better than store bought bread, and it makes much better toast.

At least the recipe I followed did.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: April 07, 2020, 06:36:12 pm »

The loaf I made today was 100 grams Buckwheat flour and 400 grams wholemeal flour with water, yeast and seeds added. It definitely has a different taste to what I'm used to. Very yeasty, but not unpleasant.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: April 07, 2020, 07:13:24 pm »

I do kinda wanna make some "everything" baguettes like they have in the store, but I figured I should just do a basic loaf before I started experimenting.

They got like 1.5x bigger during baking and they're still not quite done. I don't know why I'm surprised, since expanding is literally the only thing dough does
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: April 07, 2020, 09:35:22 pm »

I do kinda wanna make some "everything" baguettes like they have in the store, but I figured I should just do a basic loaf before I started experimenting.

Nah, just roll the dough in a pile of stuff when it's warm but still sticky. Like when you're proofing it (letting it raise with the oven off/at minimum temp).
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 333