Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 469333 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4890 on: April 15, 2022, 02:15:15 pm »

Those chocolate easter egg things, maybe? My immediate response to the proper use of coconut flakes is "burn them and the hell they spawned from", but apparently people make chocolate easter eggs with them as part of the filling. My grandparents liked the last one they had.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 02:42:58 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: April 15, 2022, 02:21:18 pm »

Yeah people either adore or loathe coconut. I like it.

For desserts it's good for creamy sugary fillings or cookie toppings imo.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: April 15, 2022, 02:41:52 pm »

Oh, I'm okay with coconut as a flavor. I just hate coconut flakes with a great deal of intensity. They're more or less the absolute worst food texture I've ever encountered.
Ask not!
Ask!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: April 15, 2022, 04:49:39 pm »

Did we not have this discussion just a week or two ago

I am pretty sure the council convened and found coconut to be the centrepoint of all human cuisine
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: April 15, 2022, 05:46:34 pm »

First off, I appreciate your kebab bop.  Sorry for not commenting on it earlier.  It looks utterly disgusting and delicious.

Oh, I'm okay with coconut as a flavor. I just hate coconut flakes with a great deal of intensity. They're more or less the absolute worst food texture I've ever encountered.
I agree with this.  There's something really bizarre about their texture, but the taste is fine.

I used my slowcooker last night and went a little crazy, even by my own standards.  If memory serves:

3 yukon potatoes
2 yellow vidalia onions
almost a cup of lentils
quarter cup of black beans
quarter cup of blackeye peas
a few seconds of rough kosher salt
probably a third cup of vegetable oil (canola)
about a second of oregano
more cayenne than I should have
enough powdered garlic to give me pause.

Oh right and at least a cup of TVP, and about a handful of rice

Cooked for uh...  I started it at 3PM, mostly low slowcooker, and I turned it off at 9 this morning.  It is intense.
I think it's basically "condensed soup" at this point, because I tried mixing it with equal parts water and it tastes *amazing*.  And to be honest I already kinda liked it as a sludge. 
Dang though, too much onion even for me, maybe.  And that's saying something.  Perhaps too much garlic too.

Next batch I'm going to stew up these baby carrots and also stew-beef I got.   I should have used the protein ASAP, but it wasn't on sale so it can wait a few days.  I'm topped up on protein anyway, between vegetable protein and snacking on boiled eggs.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: April 15, 2022, 07:45:43 pm »

That sounds like a delicious goddam soup
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: April 25, 2022, 01:27:44 pm »

My dad's always showing off his Instant-Pot smart pressure cooker, and a couple days ago he gifted me one of my own.  It's fantastic.  It can do the slowcooker stuff (sorry crock pot, I'll always love you!) and the ricecooker stuff, and also just bake stuff without having to heat up a stove.  '

Yesterday I cooked a set of chicken drumsticks and they were super fast and easy!  I just covered them in some paprika and other seasoning, piled them into the pot (they can be on top of each other!), added some water, sealed it up and pressed poultry.  It only took like 20 minutes, and then another 10 as I let the steam condense (releasing the steam immediately can dry out the meat).

That left me with a cup of seasoned greasy water.  I added a cup of rice and pressed "rice", and had yummy rice ready while I was still enjoying the drumsticks.

This is where I got weird with it though:  I've made stock from leftover turkey, and the pressure cooker has an option for that too.  It can do it in *four hours* instead of taking all day, and so much more efficiently.  So I did that!  I put all the leftover bones in with a quarter of water and some carrots (I need more celery).  I turned it off after it finished since I didn't need it to "keep warm", and I was going to bed.

I open it up this afternoon and it's great, all the leftover meat just drops right off the bones.  I'd read that they should even be "crumbly", so I skeptically squeezed one, and sure enough it fell to pieces - dropping shards of soft bone and thick marrow into the stock.  Because I'm a total freak my brain immediately went "Ooh, marrow.  ...The bones are probably edible, right?"  Google indicates that they are indeed, and commonly eaten across the world.  Cue a few minutes of me mashing up all 6 bones with my fingers, getting the pieces as small as possible and mixing it all together.  The bones are soft enough to not even worry about chewing much.  Into this quart of rich "bone stock plus rough bone meal" I added a quart of rice, and now I'm waiting to see what comes out...

Yeah this is alright!  Hard to describe the taste, like a lean savoriness.  The rice turned brown and has dark specks of marrow through it.  The bone fragments are as edible as the ones in canned sardines, no problem there (kinda fun even).  There are bits of carrot pulp but mainly their flavor has soaked into the stock and thus the rice.  Yeah, I think I honestly like eating this.  I do feel good about 100% utilizing the food, but all the better if it tastes like this.  Maybe with some onions and celery with the carrots next time.

I took a picture but it's not anything special, just like 4 cups worth of brownish rice with orange and black specks.  I'll be eating from this for a few days...
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: April 25, 2022, 02:19:33 pm »

[CREATURE:ROLAN7]
[BONECARN]

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: April 25, 2022, 02:30:52 pm »

[CREATURE:ROLAN7]
[BONECARN]
Hehe, profile updated.

Two hours later update:  I'm glad I only had one bowl to start with.  People indicated that this sort of thing can be very filling, and I'm feeling that - the vaguest hint of indigestion, like my stomach's having to focus.  Same sensation I get with any sort of dark meat really.

People hint that this stuff can be a good diet component because of how filling it "feels", along with being very rich in protein and miscellaneous nutrients.  probably high in calcium I imagine.  I certainly feel sated in a nice way.
She/they

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: April 25, 2022, 02:36:14 pm »

Marrow is supposed to be super nutritious, to the point where many carnivores have evolved methods of extracting it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: April 28, 2022, 04:29:55 pm »

Today's food thing is chili pepper swiss cheese gravy(?*), over fried curried potatoes with shredded turkey. In process of cooking, gravy is done and vaguely amazing, potatoes are frying, about to shred the turkey.

*I think, anyway. I made rous with unsalted butter and flour and water, put a good bit of black pepper and chili powder on it, stirred well and warmed a bit, stuck in a couple of slices of swiss cheese and warmed it enough to all melt together with more stirring. I'm fairly sure that's gravy? Or something close to it. Tasty, anyway...

e: finally recognized that taste, this gravy-thing nearly matches those frikkin' pringle pizza chips, just less salty

how

e2: anyway it's pretty damn good i will probably cook this again at some point

e3: oh, that's why this sounded familiar, I think I just accidentally'd some kind of pseudo-poutine

e4: Next day, I think I've learned one of the secrets of really good homemade mashed potatoes. Add egg (and cheese!) when it's mash time, let it cook a little longer (like 2-4 minutes on low) to make sure the egg's cooked. Consistency is the best I've produced by hand to date.

... then I added turkey bacon and parsley and chili powder and black pepper and now I'm eating it and it's pretty solid. Can tell there's no salt (outside the bacon and a bit in the cheese), though...

e5: i have made personalized food crack

airfried diced potatoes (seasoned with pepper and paprika and parsley, a 4 p potato) mixed with that sorta' braised chicken mentioned up thread however far and the cheese gravy above without the chili powder.

i don't think I've ever eaten anything more appreciated by my taste buds ;_;
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 07:40:27 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: May 10, 2022, 08:28:22 pm »

no more edits, be bumped!

The lemon frosted cashews came out pretty decent for something made so lazily.

So, like. What you do! Is you take a bowl. You pour like... some powdered sugar in it. Then you take one (1) lemon, cut the end off the lemon. Put the lemon over the bowl, cut end down. Squeeze. Squeeze until it's done.

Then stir it up until you have frosting! It's good frosting, I have described this frosting before. It may not be the best lemon frosting but it's pretty damn good and it's impressively difficult to find a better effort to taste ratio.

Once you've done that, you (and this is the lazy part that can be done much, much better with just a little effort like putting it on a pan and baking it for a few minutes or whatever, there's tons that can be done here) take a pile of cashews, dump them in the bowl, and then stir until they're coated.

I left it in the fridge overnight to set a little, but you don't, like. Have to. You can just eat them.

Anyway, they pretty good. Lemony, sweeter than usual cashews. I like 'em, everyone else that's ate them likes 'em. Just remember, folks. Icing is super easy to make, and at the end of the day you can put it on anything.
Ask not!
Ask!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4902 on: May 19, 2022, 01:48:46 pm »

Bought loads of mi goreng after the mi goreng supply shortage, as I was inviting friends over - one of whom is my best, who loves mi goreng. However, he cancelled due to sickness and then another cancelled because they suck eggs, leading to me having way too many ingredients. Answer? Mi goreng for a week. I love mi goreng, but it was very jarring to go from having no mi goreng in the last year to suddenly eating it everyday for a week. But there were many good varieties

-dark soy sauce
-little sugar
-4 makrut lime leaf
-spring onions
-spring onions but red
-lamb shoulder, diced to big chunks
-red pepper, diced to tiny cuboids
-coriandey
-british kale
-kahlua
-instant noodle at the end
ohhhh mannn this was nice. Veges and aromatics went in first with the sauce and little bit of cane sugar, all to reduce the sugar down into proper sauce with the makrut lime/spring onion flavour. Although I didn't add all the coriander or spring onion, as I like to add a lot more towards the end so that some of the spring onion/coriander gives its flavour to the sauce, whereas the other retains their own potency. Sauce reduced, meat added, and when the meat is cooked kahlua used to glaze. Dark rum was also tried instead of kahlua, and huang jiu tried in place of dark rum - they are all amazing for it, though they all do different things. I am thinking of diabological experimentation, that perhaps I could use huang jiu and seaweed to create flavours which would make soya sauce obsolete, but I haven't yet dared :]
Noodles in at the end, stir with the sauce and the lamb and vegges. Delicious tings

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: May 19, 2022, 03:24:13 pm »

-snip-

These lemon thing sound fantastic, I love citrus and nuts, I'll have to try making it some time soon
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: June 05, 2022, 08:42:38 pm »

International food truck festival yesterday with my dad!!  It was sorta nice being in a real crowd again, though we took precautions (for what it's worth) (very few other people did).

There was so much variety!  Last time we went, pre-covid, I got some excellent spicey vegan asian rolls.  Since I can find mexican food trucks anywhere (and they're so good).

This time I got uh, I think South American (/Arizona??):  Yucca fries with some diced tomatoes and finely shredded uh, cabbage?  Like relish but not strong.  With a big chunk of pork belly on top.  It was delightful!

To be honest it took me a while to realize that the yucca fries *were the yucca*, because I was kinda expecting a cactus-like fruit thanks to New Vegas.  And the fries tasted very similar to potato!  Apparently they're healthier, and the internal texture was noticeably different.  They're supposed to be sweeter but it was very subtle.  My dad and I got to chat about his adventures out there near the west coast.  What a nice time.

He and she got fish and chips which were solid, we all shared a bit.  I particularly used a lot of their unwanted lemon on my yucca fries which I think was great.

Also:  "It's nice to have a socially acceptable reason to eat a chunk of pork fat" - me.  Dad replied that it was basically bacon, but nah, that thing was mostly fat.  And I'm fine with that.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 333