Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 469317 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4905 on: June 05, 2022, 09:30:43 pm »

wait, wait

when is "delicious pork fat is available for eating" not a sufficiently socially acceptable reason to eat pork fat?

Who put out a memo you need a reason for that, and how do I find them so this mistake can be corrected?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: June 06, 2022, 01:16:44 pm »

I am literally shoveling bacon into my face as I type, and will go to war for my right to do so.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: June 08, 2022, 12:33:29 pm »

I don't get tomato on sandwiches.  Mealy wet disk that soaks and destabilizes the whole sandwich yet typically tastes like nothing.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: June 08, 2022, 12:41:39 pm »

...Mealy? Tastes nothing? What kinda shitty tomatoes are you eating my man

You need to start growing your own tomatoes stat

I'll mail you some seeds
Love, scriver~

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: June 08, 2022, 12:58:46 pm »

Garden tomatoes may as well be an entirely different fruit than the stuff you buy in grocery stores.  The latter is mostly for decoration.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: June 08, 2022, 02:57:48 pm »

Hey, hydration is important too!  They're basically like a glass of tomato-infused water each, like Hint water or whatever.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: June 08, 2022, 02:58:58 pm »

For me, the tomato is there to breakup the texture of meat, bread, lettuce and sauce. Without a tomato in there, it feels like it all just mushes together.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: June 08, 2022, 04:49:09 pm »

I mean… that’s generally how you eat food, yes. :p
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: June 08, 2022, 05:09:57 pm »

Yeah in fairness while cherry tomatoes concentrate the taste (and garden tomatoes of either type have nice strong tomato taste), those watery grocery store tomatoes are perfectly good for texture and adding to a flavor profile.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: June 13, 2022, 11:02:15 am »

I've gotten into making my own "fries" (or "chips" haha) for breakfast.  I guess I assumed it was more complicated than just cutting a potato into thin-ish chunks and frying them in a pan.  It takes longer than I expected, but it's pretty easy!  I'm using canola oil and a garlic salt that has parsley in it.  The brown potatoes I'm using aren't long enough to make fast food fries, so I just kinda sliver them.  I'm getting better at making them a reasonably consistent thickness.

For lunch I made a chili, sorta!  I dumped together black beans, navy beans, red beans, and blackeye peas with an appropriate-looking amount of oil and that garlic salt.  I didn't actually add chili powder so it's a little bland and probably not technically a chili, but I'm adding hot sauce as I eat some.  I made it in the insta-pot by pressing "beans/chili" and wow, I'm glad I added enough water!  Only took 30 minutes and I quite like it.  It reminds me of those "5 bean chili" mixes you can get, though minus their seasoning.

Oh right and I added a slab of souse because I'm a freak ;D  I almost forgot because it completely dissolved.  I don't think it has a lot of protein value, but it had been sitting in my fridge for a while.  (it's basically just pig cartilage with some seasoning, I don't recommend it)

Edit:  Okay these definitely would have benefited from a few hours of soaking, but they're uh.  Edible.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 11:08:17 am by Rolan7 »
She/they

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: June 13, 2022, 01:52:07 pm »

I've gotten into making my own "fries" (or "chips" haha) for breakfast.  I guess I assumed it was more complicated than just cutting a potato into thin-ish chunks and frying them in a pan.  It takes longer than I expected, but it's pretty easy!  I'm using canola oil and a garlic salt that has parsley in it.  The brown potatoes I'm using aren't long enough to make fast food fries, so I just kinda sliver them.  I'm getting better at making them a reasonably consistent thickness.

For lunch I made a chili, sorta!  I dumped together black beans, navy beans, red beans, and blackeye peas with an appropriate-looking amount of oil and that garlic salt.  I didn't actually add chili powder so it's a little bland and probably not technically a chili, but I'm adding hot sauce as I eat some.  I made it in the insta-pot by pressing "beans/chili" and wow, I'm glad I added enough water!  Only took 30 minutes and I quite like it.  It reminds me of those "5 bean chili" mixes you can get, though minus their seasoning.

Oh right and I added a slab of souse because I'm a freak ;D  I almost forgot because it completely dissolved.  I don't think it has a lot of protein value, but it had been sitting in my fridge for a while.  (it's basically just pig cartilage with some seasoning, I don't recommend it)

Edit:  Okay these definitely would have benefited from a few hours of soaking, but they're uh.  Edible.

Are you doing the parboil/fry before you fry them fully? Gets them soft inside and crunchy outside without having the oil reach its smoke point.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: July 01, 2022, 08:05:24 pm »

Good seasoning for grilled porkchop: Parsley/Thyme/Rosmary/Black pepper (i.e. super basic roast seasoning), plus unsweetened applesauce with a pile of cinnamon and a dash of sugar. Mix it all up and then bast over the porkchop, cook as desired.
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: July 10, 2022, 07:16:39 pm »

Public service bump:

When attempting to make potato patties, do not blend the potato. It makes a mess and does not work.
Ask not!
Ask!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: July 10, 2022, 08:51:19 pm »

I'm on team Grated
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: July 10, 2022, 09:39:18 pm »

I still haven't, like... looked up a recipe... but I think what you're actually supposed to do is, like, make basic mashed potatoes, then lightly coat them in oil and bake/fry 'em a bit, so you have a crunchy-ish outside and a delicious potato-y inside.

I...

I did not do that.

What I did was blend them, and on seeing the resultant consistency (applesauce, except potato! Which is not, uh. Not good, ngl, perhaps extra so because as usual I didn't skin the potatoes first so it was like... brown) attempt (poorly, this did not go well) to coat vaguely ball-shaped lumps of them in flour, then add a little oil and air-fry for ~20 minutes.

I, uh. Basically made edible but otherwise remarkably shitty potato cookies. They didn't taste great, the consistency was not potato-y goodness, they looked like someone failed baking a cookie (among other things there was still entirely powdered flour on the outside of some). Was fine with ketchup or cheese gravy according to the person that ate most of it, but, like. It didn't pass any muster except the technically-not-deadly one.

For what it's worth, I definitely should have done absolutely anything in terms of prep beyond "Hey, I wonder if I can blend a potato and roll it into a ball" (the answer was yes and no, respectively), I just... didn't. Fortunately I only malappropriated one potato for the experiment, the rest turned into the sorta' poutine I mentioned somewhere up thread (that, at least, was as delicious as usual. Even parboiled the potatoes this time for extra goodness.), so, like. It wasn't too much of a loss.

but seriously, don't puree a potato without a great deal more awareness of what you're doing than i had, it will not go well, potato does not appreciate being blended
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 09:42:13 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 333