Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 469434 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4920 on: July 10, 2022, 09:56:29 pm »

You learned how not to do something, you came out the other side golden.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: July 10, 2022, 11:01:56 pm »

Public service bump:

When attempting to make potato patties, do not blend the potato. It makes a mess and does not work.

Yeah, that'll get you gummy potatoes. A block grater is your friend there. Possibly mixed with mashed. And friend with a bit of oil (below smoke point) to give it crispiness.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: July 11, 2022, 05:30:21 pm »

Grate em, dry em (press between paper towels imo), mix em with flour and grated onion and salt and pepper, and then fry em.

If youre blending them youd have to like.... i dunno, deep fry em at a high heat. Also probably not what youre after.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: July 11, 2022, 06:36:27 pm »

Yeah, it was the moisture content that killed you there. While I'm not a fan of using paper or cloth on my food prior to cooking it, it's honestly the best way to get rid of excess surface moisture. When doing meat, I usually salt it, let the salt draw out the water then pat the water off with a paper towel. You get a way better sear doing that then just throwing them straight on the grill/in the pan.

You should look up potato gnocchi (that would require looking at a recipe though....) It's just potatoes and flour, par boiled then pan seared. I'm sure the secret to consistency is somewhere in there.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 06:38:20 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: July 11, 2022, 09:20:18 pm »

Grate em, dry em (press between paper towels imo), mix em with flour and grated onion and salt and pepper, and then fry em. Boil ‘em, mash ‘em, put ‘em in a stew.

If youre blending them youd have to like.... i dunno, deep fry em at a high heat. Also probably not what youre after.

FTFY
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: July 11, 2022, 09:40:11 pm »

You should look up potato latkes

ftfy
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: July 11, 2022, 09:44:38 pm »

pass 'em the latke, matke

it's an amusingly threatening song about food

you gotta eat if you chokes you :D
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: July 12, 2022, 12:24:19 pm »

Latkes are the superior form of crispy potato cakes.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: July 12, 2022, 03:39:42 pm »

I tried making meatballs for the first time. I used beef-pork mince with mixed herbs, and before hand i fried up some red onion with crushed chillies and added to the mix. I used an egg and some cornflour for the binding.

It... sorta worked? Half of them fell apart and half of them worked fine, and I'm not really sure why. Maybe I didn't have enough binding mixture? OPne of my friends suggested I might have had too much onion or it wasn't fine enough, but it was one onion for 750g of meat, so I can't imagine that was too much.

I think I might have put too many in the pan at once, too. It seemed to have quite a lot of liquid in it while it was cooking, but surely most of the water of the onions would have come out previously when they were being browned.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: July 12, 2022, 03:48:25 pm »

Onions shouldn't produce a truly significant amount of liquid in that case. A lower grade of meat would contain a lot of fat, which would add a lot of liquid.

I usually use breadcrumbs and an egg for my binding agent, and that does the trick. Remember the meat needs to stick to itself, and therefore still needs to be fairly solid. Anything you add like onions would definitely want to be finely chopped, like half a centimeter. The onion (or garlic, in my case) gets in the way of keeping the meatball together if its too big or too much. How big was the onion? I would use maybe..... 4-6 cloves of garlic for that much meatball? It's possible that you had so much tasty onion that the meat couldn't stick to itself.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: August 17, 2022, 08:01:00 pm »

So I've started just, like. Putting crushed rosemary into things.

It's, uh. It seems to be going well? Would recommend on ramen, various sorts of meat, rice, potatoes. It's got a nice flavor both on its own and especially complementary to other seasonings.
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: August 25, 2022, 12:42:50 pm »

I got two tubes of Impossible sausage because it is/was BOGOF at Food Lion yesterday!  This is even more exciting than Burger King having the Impossible burgers on their 2-for-$6 deal. 

Not quite sure how to use it, but I've been having a lot of fun toasting sliced bread in a pan for breakfast.  I've been cracking eggs on them to make french toast, I guess, which is sooooo easy and satisfying.  I don't add sugar or salt as the bread seems to have plenty already.  This morning I added some hot sauce as it cooled, which worked nicely.  Makes me want to experiment with hash browns again...  I have a jar of sliced jalapenos that'd be great in some breakfast potatoes.

But tomorrow I'll sear an Impossible patty and put that on the toast!  I like using turkey sausage in soups but that seems like a waste for vegan sausage like this.  It's got that unique, almost meat-like taste.  Usually not worth the price IMO (I'm still not vegan nor particularly fond of meat) but it's a nice novelty.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: August 25, 2022, 04:26:04 pm »

... yeah, mentioning it made me curious as to salt content. 380 mg per 2 ounces, ahaha.

It's actually a little less than some comparable pork sausage brands, but... still.

Semi-related, I've been getting pretty close to making very low salt hamburger patties (75 mg or so per patty, it's not major, and it's pretty much the only salt involve at all) taste dead on like regular sausage. Pepper, chili powder, rosemary, and cane syrup added early to crumbled hamburger during pan cooking, so far -- it's close, but not quite there. Still really damn tasty, but not quite 100% genuinely low sodium sausage-equivalent... yet. Getting there, though.

really I should just, like. Look at the ingredients used to season common sausage, but that feels too easy, y'know? Half the point is the fiddling about.
Ask not!
Ask!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: August 25, 2022, 07:18:58 pm »

I got two tubes of Impossible sausage because it is/was BOGOF at Food Lion yesterday!  This is even more exciting than Burger King having the Impossible burgers on their 2-for-$6 deal. 

Not quite sure how to use it, but I've been having a lot of fun toasting sliced bread in a pan for breakfast.  I've been cracking eggs on them to make french toast, I guess, which is sooooo easy and satisfying.  I don't add sugar or salt as the bread seems to have plenty already.  This morning I added some hot sauce as it cooled, which worked nicely.  Makes me want to experiment with hash browns again...  I have a jar of sliced jalapenos that'd be great in some breakfast potatoes.

But tomorrow I'll sear an Impossible patty and put that on the toast!  I like using turkey sausage in soups but that seems like a waste for vegan sausage like this.  It's got that unique, almost meat-like taste.  Usually not worth the price IMO (I'm still not vegan nor particularly fond of meat) but it's a nice novelty.

I've been frustrated at my inability to find the Impossible sausage lately.  I saw it at Lidl for a while, then when I wanted to buy some it was gone.

I like Impossible hamburger a lot so I hope it's as good.  The hamburger equivalent is close enough to real hamburger that I use it interchangeably when I have it, and in some ways I prefer it to the real thing.  Depends on what I'm making though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: January 17, 2023, 06:44:30 pm »

Yeah yeah, rise from your scoops buried grave.

Anyway, necro to say this: If you haven't put curry powder/seasoning on chicken nuggets, you have something to do with your life now. It's delicious.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 333