Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The worst animals ever.  (Read 17256 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The worst animals ever.
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 08:41:45 am »

I have some thrips men that consistently fly 1-2 z levels off the ground, my marksdwarves won't kill them, and they won't leave.  Next world I gen will have thrips removed entirely.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 09:28:29 am »

I LOVE Keas, they swoop into my above ground forts in swarms snatching up people's belongings and fortress valuables and occasionally scratching up people's faces. It's the perfect blend of Fun and fun. When a hole in your defenses lets the enemy slaughter you it's generally only fun after the fact, watching your little mans wrestle with thieving birds is hilarious. In the future Kobold raiding parties should come in with trained keas that snatch your things before returning to their masters.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 09:33:10 am »

In the future Kobold raiding parties should come in with trained keas that snatch your things before returning to their masters.

I dunno, I think a flock of Kea would make a meal out of a few kobolds. Those things are nasty. Have you seen what they can do to a sheep, a sheep being more than twice the size of a likkle kobold?
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 09:34:34 am »

Ravens. They're far more common than keas, they're annoying, they come in groups, and they often fly into your fort. I also had a dwarf die from an infection caused by a raven 1 z level above him.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 09:52:16 am »

I dunno, I think a flock of Kea would make a meal out of a few kobolds. Those things are nasty. Have you seen what they can do to a sheep, a sheep being more than twice the size of a likkle kobold?
I think they could train Kea's one at a time, the reason they can kill sheep is because sheep don't have daggers and can't turn around. Plus unlike sheep when Figglsirtgup see's Tykiztert getting pecked at he'd probably come to his aid.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 09:53:45 am »

The list of condemned fliers:

Buzzards
Ravens
Keas

??

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 09:55:05 am »

EMUS.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 09:58:48 am »

I think they could train Kea's one at a time, the reason they can kill sheep is because sheep don't have daggers and can't turn around.

Ah, but aren't you forgetting that sheep have particle accelerator cannons hooves? The deadliest weapons known to dwarfkind.

The list of condemned fliers:
Buzzards

Honestly I've don't think any of the other annoying fliers come even close to buzzards, which seem to have been put in the game precisely to piss people off and cause havok for early forts. Sure a kea can nick a few items, sure ravens come in unending swarms, but they don't all kamikaze your fort and cause mass panic on a regular basis until you exterminate the entire species.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 09:59:09 am »

Badgers. I still have nightmares about the goddamn badgers.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 10:01:47 am »

Remember the carp from 40d? -shivers-
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 10:04:08 am »

Honestly I've don't think any of the other annoying fliers come even close to buzzards, which seem to have been put in the game precisely to piss people off and cause havok for early forts. Sure a kea can nick a few items, sure ravens come in unending swarms, but they don't all kamikaze your fort and cause mass panic on a regular basis until you exterminate the entire species.

In .31, I made entire embark profiles dedicated to defending against buzzards. Not seen a single one in .34, and I'm almost sad.

I'm almost, because there's ravens everywhere.

Loud Whispers cancels lament : Interrupted by raven corpse x99

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 12:21:48 pm »

I hate ravens with a passion. They always clog up the haunted embarks, cannot be butchered, attack in groups and peck everything to death when undead.
Even on my current non-haunted embark they continue to annoy me because their pathing gets stuck on some trees and they never move unless I declare them to be archery practice. I managed to catch some, though. Maybe it would be stylish to tame them and to pasture them on statues above some chamber doors.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 12:29:53 pm »

I've had a few embarks where there seems to be a Giant Wolverine on the map AT ALL TIMES. Every one I kill is immediately replaced. Giant Badgers were worse, since they ran in packs, but at least they could be relied upon to leave eventually!

And yeah, Keas are assholes.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 12:51:54 pm »

I've had a few embarks where there seems to be a Giant Wolverine on the map AT ALL TIMES. Every one I kill is immediately replaced. Giant Badgers were worse, since they ran in packs, but at least they could be relied upon to leave eventually!

Sounds like you have an infinite food supply. :)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Murgy

• Bay Watcher
  • Is one of the first of his kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 01:06:54 pm »

Giant Grasshoppers, man.
You laugh, but just wait until a single one hospitalizes five of your starting seven dwarves.
Quote from: Cruxador
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
I made a mod where giant spiders, snake-people, minotaurs, dwarves, and a gnome-like creature were all the same species.  In spite of being radically different sizes, a snake-person and a spider could get married and have a minotaur as a child.
A wonderful love story of a family that is truly without prejudice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6