Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs dont like bridges?  (Read 1673 times)

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs dont like bridges?
« on: April 18, 2012, 07:42:10 pm »

I am trying to build a drawbridge that can cut off access to my fort from the outside if I come under seige. Problem is, my dwarfs refuse to use it.

http://s1165.photobucket.com/albums/q587/GenJeFT/?action=view&current=Whyohwhy.png

In that screenshot you can see both the bridge and the stairs.

I had built the stairs so that my dwarfs could get out of the fortress untill the bridge was up. Now that the bridge is up if I destroy the stairs I get job cancelled spam and the jobs never restart. My dwarfs REFUSE to use the drawbridge at all. I know they have access because my squad will move ONTO the bridge but all the dwarfs refuse to route accross the bridge and will ONLY use the stairs to get in or out.

Anyone have any sugjestions? I tried building it in several different ways to no avail.

As you can see I really need that bridge for defense. Its a nice keep after all.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs dont like bridges?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 07:51:51 pm »

I'll be honest, I'm having trouble understanding that tileset - but I think that that's a wide moat around the keep, correct?

That means, if the dwarves are using that downwards staircase in the bottom left to get in and out, there must be a door/passage on the floor below.

This means that the problem might actually be with those nine staircases in the middle. Check those?

Also, what is that on the north end of the bridge?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 07:54:11 pm »

I can't tell anything from that picture about how they are supposed to get to the bridge from undergound, inside the walls, so I have to ask this question.  From which side does your squad approach the bridge?  From outside of the walls (having exited by the stairs) or from inside the walls?  Can you make your squad stand inside the walls, aboveground, by crossing the bridge?  When you tell them to go underground from there, do they go down somehow inside the walls, or walk out of the keep and go down that outside stairs?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 08:00:12 pm »

I don't know... Did you build the bridge so that both ends are directly above solid ground (i.e. resting on it)? In adventure mode you can't cross bridges that don't have both ends flat on the ground - I don't know if it works the same way in Fortress mode, but it's a thought.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:19:10 pm »

I'll be honest, I'm having trouble understanding that tileset - but I think that that's a wide moat around the keep, correct?

That means, if the dwarves are using that downwards staircase in the bottom left to get in and out, there must be a door/passage on the floor below.

This means that the problem might actually be with those nine staircases in the middle. Check those?

Also, what is that on the north end of the bridge?

You are correct about the 9 staircases in the middle. The dwarfs will not use those for some reason.

That is indeed a wide moat around the keep and there is a door with a passage on the floor below (I want to remove it).

That thing north of the bridge is a trade post, with a lot of crap on it.

I forgot the other screenshot.

The basement that was not included.

http://s1165.photobucket.com/albums/q587/GenJeFT/?action=view&current=Whyohwhy2.png

I gota find out what is wrong with the stairs.

*Edit*

Figured it out. The basement level had up/down stairs on it, when I mined out the area to build the passage I appear to have accidently mined out the stairs, so I have to build new stairs.

Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:20:50 pm by GenJeFT »

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:47:27 pm »

*Edit*

Figured it out. The basement level had up/down stairs on it, when I mined out the area to build the passage I appear to have accidently mined out the stairs, so I have to build new stairs.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, I thought that would be it. I've done that a couple times myself.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 11:59:52 pm »

*Edit*

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, I thought that would be it. I've done that a couple times myself.
This is why I replace any mined stairs or ramps with built ones asap...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...