Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too stupid and uncreative to make my own decisions. Help?  (Read 911 times)

Dish It Out!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Too stupid and uncreative to make my own decisions. Help?
« on: April 18, 2012, 10:53:19 pm »

I've done something I usually don't do and embarked in an area devoid of trees.  It's a desert next to a volcano.

I have an abundance of copper, silver, gold, zinc, lead, and sand, but no clay.  There's some iron around as well as some marble but I have no coke/coal/lignite.  I pretty much need the wood for construction when I come by it.  The caverns were headed for and breached immediately and I'm mining out the sand to start farming trees.

I have three dwarves with pig tail fiber fabric in their preferences.  One I made a weaver, one I made a dyer, and the third likes both pig tail fabric and brass.  So here's the questions:

Should I use the brass to make the buckets and bins I'll need?  What would you do with it?  It's sort of a pretty metal and in forts past I might use it for doors but without any wood I think I'll need the bins.  Or should I have the PigtailBrass guy make clothing and bags?  Or split his time 50/50?

Also, I have a guy who likes green glass currently training glassmaking with goblets.  Should I make a bunch more glassmakers?  I have infinite sand and infinite energy, I could have a master glassmaker who constructs lots of serrated disks, intermediate glassmakers for cages, vials, and furniture, and everyone else for raw glass and glass blocks.  Do you kids like GLASS?

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
Re: Too stupid and uncreative to make my own decisions. Help?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:08:44 pm »

You can get wood from the caravans as they come around, candy requires no fuel if you have a volcano, and you can make pots out of rocks which are basically just barrels.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Dish It Out!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:12:50 pm »

You can get wood from the caravans as they come around, candy requires no fuel if you have a volcano, and you can make pots out of rocks which are basically just barrels.

Right, I mean, the barrels are covered, and I'm ordering wood, I'm just wondering what you guys do with stuff like lead and brass, and if people use glassmakers a lot.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:17:06 pm »

You can make bins from metals.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:22:40 pm »

I like using green glass for things. All you need for green glass is magma+sand+bag (to hold the sand). The only things named differently for green glass compared to stone is terrarium, which is simply cage. The other is portal, which is a door. Most importantly, everything is uniform and green :D

Sometimes the cavern layers are sand, so it could be a shorter distance to collect it compared to the surface. If you set the item producing furnace to a particular dwarf or skill level, you can leave all the others with collect sand on repeat and give glassmaking to some hauler dwarves. That will let them grab sand but not make anything, speeding up the process. Serrated discs are great against unarmored things too.

Green!

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:32:28 pm »

I like using green glass for things. All you need for green glass is magma+sand+bag (to hold the sand). The only things named differently for green glass compared to stone is terrarium, which is simply cage. The other is portal, which is a door. Most importantly, everything is uniform and green :D

Sometimes the cavern layers are sand, so it could be a shorter distance to collect it compared to the surface. If you set the item producing furnace to a particular dwarf or skill level, you can leave all the others with collect sand on repeat and give glassmaking to some hauler dwarves. That will let them grab sand but not make anything, speeding up the process. Serrated discs are great against unarmored things too.

Green!

He has a volcano so he won't need to go down to the caverns for anything but fun, candy, WOOD, ...

Yeah you can get wood from the caverns :P
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Linenoise02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 11:36:56 pm »

Glass also sells for a good amount..  glass trap components are quite valuable to trade to caravans, and its an infinite resource.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 12:37:35 am »

Build a curious glass structure rising out of the desert, something like this: