Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Finally dug to level 0 without dying and found FUN  (Read 5395 times)

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finally dug to level 0 without dying and found FUN
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 07:07:16 pm »

I'm going to go with a standard pit double-drawbridge system right by the adamantium.  I tried to link images but apparently I'm newbly at DF and forums.  I'm willing to go the uninformed route and see what happens.  I'm assuming if the baddies fly that won't work but I can always wall off higher up the pipe so I suppose I'm not too worried about the whole ordeal and I already have some solid adamantium out of it so what's the worst that could happen :)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 07:17:45 pm »

why is everyone so down on the clowns?

Clowns need love too!  Some make delightful silk for you, and only demand to see cuddly, cute adorable kittens through the peep hole to get it from them!

They are just desperate, unfathomably aged entertainers that got trapped in the basement! Have you ever been trapped in the basement? Its no fun, trust me. 

Just give them a really nice room with some wholesome sunshine, and a nice view of cuddly kittens and cute puppies. It's really all they want.  Sure, they can be a little "animated" about how happy they are about getting out of the basement, but then again, black Friday shoppers kill people too. Are ya gonna get all down on them too?

So, feel free to help the poor tortured souls out. Just show them to their new luxury suites, and its all good after that.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 08:52:21 pm »

The difference between trolls and us is that if he honestly asks about what to do, we'll tell him and help.  This is just amused nudging. 

Haytrid, remember to save your game regularly and if all goes wrong, you can savescum by ctrl-alt-delete'ing and stopping the Dwarf Fortress process.  That'll let you get around the game forcing you to save before you quit.

I'm not evil or a dick, there's just some things that are best learned for yourself.  Look at my sig thread if you want, but it won't be anywhere near as Fun (of the Dwarf variety) as discovering what lies down there yourself.

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 09:36:45 pm »

Actually, I don't mind losing it all in the name of. . . . FUN.  I never savescum or copy my directory, I just look for pointers now and again, I don't want a walk-through or a full explanation, maybe just a "hey, may want to look out for this or don't do something completely retarted like this".  Oh, and for the record, you ARE Evil and you ARE a Dick, and I'm alright with that as long as you keep your masterpiece adamantine weapon to yourself.  Cheers.

The difference between trolls and us is that if he honestly asks about what to do, we'll tell him and help.  This is just amused nudging. 

Haytrid, remember to save your game regularly and if all goes wrong, you can savescum by ctrl-alt-delete'ing and stopping the Dwarf Fortress process.  That'll let you get around the game forcing you to save before you quit.

I'm not evil or a dick, there's just some things that are best learned for yourself.  Look at my sig thread if you want, but it won't be anywhere near as Fun (of the Dwarf variety) as discovering what lies down there yourself.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 09:38:25 pm »

Fair enough.  In that case, make sure that any entrance leading down into the spire has a floorhatch over it.  Nothing can break through a locked one from below it.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 09:44:33 pm »

This thread makes me feel horrible. I haven't even made to to caverns 3 yet, without m fort dying from FPS or boredom.

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 10:04:10 pm »

Thank you, that is a good piece of advice I hadn't actually stumbled onto before, I will take it to my dwarven grave and never reveal it's secret to anyone!. . .oh wait.

Fair enough.  In that case, make sure that any entrance leading down into the spire has a floorhatch over it.  Nothing can break through a locked one from below it.

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 10:24:44 pm »

TBH, if I feel even a *tinge* of boredom I attempt something. . . . completely different.  I try to learn something I don't know, perfect something I feel I could be doing better, or just drink more and dig to 0 (per the current post).  I figure the worst that can possibly happen is that I learned one(1) more thing on DF, watched some anime on Netflix, listened to some Pandora and had generally a great gaming evening.  I'm about 3 months deep on this game and it's already scaring me.

This thread makes me feel horrible. I haven't even made to to caverns 3 yet, without m fort dying from FPS or boredom.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 10:32:51 pm »

I was one of the lucky people who wasn't spoiled about the HFS prior to breaching it, despite having been on the forums. I was lucky enough not to see unspoilered descriptions of the HFS, and have enough self control not to look at spoilers.

Unfortunately I was too genre savy not to take precautions against digging too deep, and had walled the peasant I sent to retrieve the adamantine short sword into my curious structure. When the clown car arrived, there was but a single death.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 11:07:20 pm »

I breach all of the caverns and start mining adamantine by year 1 lol.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 11:13:18 pm »

As ‼Fun‼ as it is to see newbies encountering the HFS unspoiled...

Outright lying to them is kind of a dick move.
I agree on this.

Haytrid, just remember both the boy scout and DF mottos.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 11:26:39 pm »

żBe prepared to have fun losing?  Or was it !!MAGMA!!?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 12:13:45 am »

As ‼Fun‼ as it is to see newbies encountering the HFS unspoiled...

Outright lying to them is kind of a dick move.
I agree on this.

I swear on my honor,
To release the HFS,
To use magma on the elven caravans,
To perform horrible experiments with evil weather whenever possible
And to create hoplessly elaborate and malfuncton prone mechanical contraptions?
Pages: 1 [2]