Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Finally dug to level 0 without dying and found FUN  (Read 5388 times)

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finally dug to level 0 without dying and found FUN
« on: April 18, 2012, 10:31:58 am »

For the first time, I have managed to dig to level 0 without dying (although I had one very close call with an FB).  I dug looking for magma and found adamantium instead!  So I am now meticulously digging into the middle of the adamantium vein without breaching the cavern because the FB is outside of it.  So far so good though and I now am starting adamantium production! 

So are there any gotcha's I should be looking out for?  I was reading through the forums that there may be demons inside pockets of adamantium?

Looks like from what I've read adamantium should be used for armor and edged weapons primarily?

Also, I went looking for magma I suppose assuming that it would be there but never found any, is magma not a guarantee on a map?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Finally dug to level 0 without dying and found FUN
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:34:57 am »

Nah, there's nothing in adamantium. It doesn't even exist in DF.

Also yup.

Armour.

And edgy-edgy weapons.

Magma should be guaranteed unless your world genned without a magma layer, as usual, dig deeper, find more.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:35:43 am »

I was reading through the forums that there may be demons inside pockets of adamantium?

FORUMS.. YOU RUINED THE FUN!.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:37:00 am »

Also, 0 may not be the bottom. I've had magma at -20, fun stuff down around -27. You probably just hit the top of the spire. Keep digging ;) ;)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 10:43:51 am »

Magma is present on every map unless you designed a world without it. Digging straight down is perfectly safe way to recover the cotton candy without risking magma flooding into the spire.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 10:46:13 am »

FORUMS.. YOU RUINED THE FUN!.

SRD! YOU RUINED ANY RECOVERY!

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 10:47:33 am »

...no i d'int.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 12:01:48 pm »

So are there any gotcha's I should be looking out for?  I was reading through the forums that there may be demons inside pockets of adamantium?

A few armed militia dwarves will suffice.  You get one or two demons hidden random layers of the spire to surprise you, nothing more.  Keep a couple of guards on standby while you dig down and you'll be fine.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 12:10:03 pm »

As ‼Fun‼ as it is to see newbies encountering the HFS unspoiled...

Outright lying to them is kind of a dick move.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 12:13:28 pm »

It isnt. It isnt lying, it's just how things can be seen in one frame. and he did not expand about how armed and trained the militia should be...

and if it still seem a dick move, look at his sig.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 01:18:57 pm »

Guys. really? Stop trolling the poor newbie!

The thing you want to do is pierce the center and seal off the path that they can use to get to your fort. You want to make sure you use a wooden door, as they cannot pierce them since they are accustomed to piercing stone, not wood. Drawbridges are actually toppled by the HFS, but they aren';t used to breaking wooden doors.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 01:44:50 pm »

Haytrid,

Don't trust anything you've heard on this thread. Even the people telling others not to troll you are trolling you. It's pathetic. I'm sorry that this is your introduction to these forums. They used to be better than this.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 01:48:49 pm »

Haytrid,

Don't trust anything you've heard on this thread. Even the people telling others not to troll you are trolling you. It's pathetic. I'm sorry that this is your introduction to these forums. They used to be better than this.

Except for me, all I said was the fun stuff is deeper, he'll find it if he keeps digging :p

That was before it devolved into true and total trolling :p

Ya, look at ThatAussieGuy signature. That little bit of spoilerite will fill you in quite nicely on the dangers of breaching the Happy Place :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 01:51:31 pm »

At least you can win the fight against HFS now. Back in the 2D version once you dug out adamantine it simply rolled a die at the start of every year based on how much you had mined and if you lost then your fortress immediately ended.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 06:51:16 pm »

We'll, I'm a big boy and trolling can be FUN too, so don't feel too bad for me.  I've lost several forts already and due to a lot less FUN than demons raping and sodomizing my dwarves.  Sounds like I can pull this off by building a lot of wooden doors :)

Haytrid,

Pages: [1] 2