Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: !!Science!! scale of a large dwarf fortress world  (Read 22373 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: !!Science!! scale of a large dwarf fortress world
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 03:24:42 pm »

Another important thing to keep in mind is that the world of DF is most definitely not a sphere.  It's a flat square (or rectangle) with invisible, impermeable straight walls at the edges keeping the air and water in.  The math for gravitational attraction doesn't quite work the same in that case.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 03:45:29 pm »

It could also be a very small fraction of a very large planet. Each region has one very cool edge and one very warm edge, north and south, everything in-between being a temperate transition. This would best represent a fraction of a hemisphere of a planet that has an axis tilted similarly to the Earth's, but a surface area several times the size of the Earth's.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 04:08:32 pm »

I only considered if the df world was a sphere. as for the hemisphere there are planets that rotate so slow around the sun that they have one side always facing it. such as mercury with it's slow orbit, or Uranus with it's 90' tilt compared to earth.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 04:15:53 pm »

I only considered if the df world was a sphere. as for the hemisphere there are planets that rotate so slow around the sun that they have one side always facing it. such as mercury with it's slow orbit, or Uranus with it's 90' tilt compared to earth.

Actually, mercury doesn't always have the same side facing the sun. It has a 3:2 resonance. They used to think it was 1:1 because it's pretty hard to observe it well from the Earth, plus by coincidence of orbital periods, when mercury is in a good location to be observed from the Earth, it always shows the same face to the Earth.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 09:43:18 pm »

Another important thing to keep in mind is that the world of DF is most definitely not a sphere.  It's a flat square (or rectangle) with invisible, impermeable straight walls at the edges keeping the air and water in.  The math for gravitational attraction doesn't quite work the same in that case.

Yeah, I was thinking that the layer of ultradense slade on the underside of the flat world creates the gravity. Another option is that the DF worlds (perhaps every possible one!) are on a Ringworld.

Relevant side-topic: people who like indie games that are well-thought out and attempt to model realistic physics, while involving planets, gravity, and atmospheres, should look at this: http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/
I have piloted a spaceship in that game from the Earth to Mars, and it took a few years with time compression.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 11:27:24 pm »

Yeah, if df worlds are spherical, the portion you are shown is no more than a hemisphere, since it has a hot side and a cold side.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 12:09:26 am »

or it could be like Uranus and be on a 90' angle compared ot earth, that means one pole is always pointed towards the sun and the other away while it rotates in the direction it's traveling around the sun.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:11:28 am by darklord92 »
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 02:01:39 am »

And yet plants still grow on the side that never sees light...

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 02:19:50 am »

i see df tiles as being about a meter square, making my dwarves very stumpy.
It seems to scale fairly well for most structures i build, a doorway being about a meter wide, each story being 2 DF levels high. The problem i have is always walls being a meter thick themself.
For instance my DF titanic will be 280 meters long (almost 6 entire embarks long) 170 meters high (34 z levels) and arojund 29 tiles wide (abouut 2/3 of an embark square)
It should look pretty good, but i can't cram in all the 3rd class staterooms because they'll end up being 2x3 burrows surrounded by huge volumes of megalithic walls (actually thers pretty standard for 3rd class by df standards)
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 12:32:00 pm »

I would love a if Dwarf Fortress simulated a planet. World gen options for axis tilt and such might create planets with interesting climates. High level of seismic activity could make the cultures more nomadic because fortifications just will not last.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 12:44:47 pm »

Awesome math bro!
The only problem with this is that the world basicly 'ends' on all four sides, so one could assume that there is a huge-ass ocean besides that.
Wich makes it (mayby) double the size :D

EDIT:
assuming that the world is a sphere, there is a huge ocean covering the df world except for the mega-continent. you cant go to the outsides because there is nothing but water there.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:54:46 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 12:46:52 pm »

It could also be a very small fraction of a very large planet. Each region has one very cool edge and one very warm edge, north and south, everything in-between being a temperate transition. This would best represent a fraction of a hemisphere of a planet that has an axis tilted similarly to the Earth's, but a surface area several times the size of the Earth's.

Exactly what I said, cept everyone ignored that part of my post ;)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 01:33:31 pm »

I've always thought of a DF tile as a 2m x 2m x 3m box, the bottom 2x2x1 section of which is the floor of that tile.  That allows an entire bed to fit in one tile and gives adequate headroom.  It does mean that one tile should easily be able to allow two dwarves to pass each other, but maybe they have severe personal space issues or something.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 01:04:48 am »

That's a pretty big bed for a dwarf.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 [2]