Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: !!Science!! scale of a large dwarf fortress world  (Read 22311 times)

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
!!Science!! scale of a large dwarf fortress world
« on: April 18, 2012, 10:39:36 am »

Posting for discussion and science not rage.

world tiles: 16x16=256 tiles2
region tiles 16x16=256 tiles2
local tiles 16x16=256 tiles2
embark tiles: 48x48=2304 tiles2

2304*256=589824
589824*256=150994944
150994944*256=38,654,705,664 tiles2

Assuming each tile during a game is 3ft by 3ft by 7 ft tall

38,654,705,664*6= 115,964,116,992 ft2

which converts to

35,345,862.859 km2

The diameter of a sphere with 35,345,862.859 km2 of surface area is 3354.2417300660018 km from one side to the other.

in comparison:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
planetoidsurface area km2diameter in km
earth510,072,00012 756.2
Moon37,930,0003,476
large DF world35,345,8633354.24
Nirn (elderscrolls planet)22,571,4292680.43
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other fun facts about the df world:

the atmosphere of a df world is approximately 0.64 km high, (300 tiles *7feet each to the max height<presumed as survivable altitude>) earths is 100-120km

The depth of a dwarf fortress world is ~700(from core to end of breathable atmosphere) tiles meaning there is 4900 ft or 1.49352 km.

the complete surface of a dwarf fortress world (cubed counting air and solids from core to end of breathable atmosphere) would be 173,194,728,009.892 km^3      Earth's is approximately:  3,314,447,856,000km3   (diameter km/2 +120 km(max breathable atmosphere)*surface area km2so: 6498*510072000)

the earth is 3.803005575 times larger than a df world. (earth diameter / df diameter )

take in mind it is still very large: if you could fill a df world with human sized cubes ( ~0.07m3) you could fit 54,328,679,102,474,210,400,140 people in it. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:48:15 am by darklord92 »
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

MikaTheCrazy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't know why this is my avatar now
    • View Profile
Re: !!Science!! scale of a large dwarf fortress world
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:41:39 am »

Hooray for random facts that show DF is even more insane than we thought!
Okay fine, maybe I'm too lazy to find something to put here.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:42:57 am »

Those are definitely numbers alright.

Good work darklord92's brain.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:43:11 am »

You.... have too much time on your hands.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 10:44:51 am »

Of course, this all depends on the assumption of how large a DF tile is, which has never actually been defined.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

LeonL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 10:46:51 am »

Hmm... If the world really is that small, what generates the gravity holding everything down? If the mass is equal to about Earth's moon, then a good punch would send both combatants flying. Must be all that super dense slade.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 10:47:23 am »

2 things:

1: I would have assumed a larger tile. 3x3x7 doesn't leave much room for them to pass like they do. Also a 3x3x7 smelter or furnace (the impassable tile) is a bit tiny. I would have assumed more like 5x5x5 (short little guys). :p

2: ... Magma and smr, does that really mean core? Don't the continents float on magma here on earth? Relatively, that's only a few miles down.

Something I've not seen mentioned, when we gen a new world, we're cooking an island or a region... Both are places in much larger areas, so why do we assume what we gen is the entire planet? Island is easy to explain, region simply could be the only inhabited or inhabitible part of the planets, therefore the only region that matters.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 10:47:59 am »

if a dragon fits on one tile, it could be a 20mx20m
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 10:48:25 am »

How did you get the data for atmosphere height?

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 10:53:54 am »

You.... have too much time on your hands.
always~

Of course, this all depends on the assumption of how large a DF tile is, which has never actually been defined.
2 things:

1: I would have assumed a larger tile. 3x3x7 doesn't leave much room for them to pass like they do. Also a 3x3x7 smelter or furnace (the impassable tile) is a bit tiny. I would have assumed more like 5x5x5 (short little guys). :p

2: ... Magma and smr, does that really mean core? Don't the continents float on magma here on earth? Relatively, that's only a few miles down.

Something I've not seen mentioned, when we gen a new world, we're cooking an island or a region... Both are places in much larger areas, so why do we assume what we gen is the entire planet? Island is easy to explain, region simply could be the only inhabited or inhabitible part of the planets, therefore the only region that matters.
if a dragon fits on one tile, it could be a 20mx20m

1)It is absolutely Dependant on the size of a dwarf fortress tile, and until that is confirmed I can only guess the actual size of a df tile, 3x3x7 leaves enough room for two people to pass, and 7 feet(presumed once again) of fluids fill a vertical layer.

2)i divided the diameter to find the circumference of the planet. so half of the planet( from surface to exact center)

How did you get the data for atmosphere height?

for earth or dwarf fortress?
earths i looked online for the defined boarder of earths atmosphere.
for df i took 300 tiles( max height to build to in fortress mode) times it by 7 (so 7 feet per vertical tile) so 2100ft which translates to 0.64008 km from sea level to end of breathable atmosphere.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:14:17 am by darklord92 »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 11:58:32 am »

Posting for discussion and science not rage.

the atmosphere of a df world is approximately 0.64 km high, (300 tiles *7feet each to the max height<presumed as survivable altitude>) earths is 100-120km

100km is considered the edge of space, not the max breathable altitude. Mountain climbers find that anything over 8000 meters pretty much requires an oxygen tank. Yes, some have climbed Everest (and other 8000+m peaks) without oxygen, but it's pretty difficult and you can't stay up there for long. Just doing simple tasks at that altitude w/o an oxygen tank is very difficult. And studies have also shown brain damage from it. Much higher than 8000m and you'd pass out.

Pilots are required to be on oxygen or have a pressurized cabin any time they go above 15,000 feet (~4,500 meters). So that's probably a better figure for the max altitude at which one can function normally.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:03:56 pm by khearn »
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 12:12:56 pm »

Everyone seems to forget that size in DF is relative. The utterly awesome Bronze Colossus with its extreme size can still get the head struck by a dwarf planted firmly on the ground. They can also be stacked a thousand times over in a single tile, and everything drowns in the same level of water.

I can only conduct that objects in DF warps the space around them so everything fits perfectly in a tile. This means that a dragon cannot pass a standing kea in a tunnel without laying on the ground, but can still crush it like it was made out of cotton candy (*snort snort*).
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 12:18:01 pm »

Hmm... If the world really is that small, what generates the gravity holding everything down? If the mass is equal to about Earth's moon, then a good punch would send both combatants flying. Must be all that super dense slade.

Gravity?  Is that the mysterious force that causes all creatures and objects to fall at a constant speed (not acceleration, speed) no matter how far they fall, while water falls at a slower semi-random speed, and cave-ins fall instantly?  Oh, and the same force that allows smears of blood to hang in mid-air?  I don't think we can assume that the laws of physics in DF can directly compared to those in the real world at all.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 12:21:21 pm »

Gravity?  Is that the mysterious force that causes all creatures and objects to fall at a constant speed (not acceleration, speed) no matter how far they fall, while water falls at a slower semi-random speed, and cave-ins fall instantly?  Oh, and the same force that allows smears of blood to hang in mid-air?  I don't think we can assume that the laws of physics in DF can directly compared to those in the real world at all.
I believe that in my adamantine science thread that discussion ended up in slade creating gravity wells.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 03:21:58 pm »

Slades gravity could also be holding the atmosphere to the planet despite being a third the size of the earth it still retains a often lush amount of flora and fauna.
Pages: [1] 2