Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to use dwarf bones?  (Read 2174 times)

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to use dwarf bones?
« on: April 17, 2012, 10:42:37 pm »

I'm building something that needs alot of bones, so I'm planning on killing off migrant waves for their bones.

I've edited the default_entity to:
        [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]

But I can't figure out how to get them to take a dwarf corpse to the butcher shop and chop it up. If anyone could tell me what I'm missing I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd really like to get this megaproject started.
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to use dwarf bones?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 11:34:21 pm »

You seem to be missing the fact that you can't use the bones of your own race in fort mode. That's a pretty difficult obstacle to overcome, being as it would require a change in game code that modders don't have access to. It may be possible with memory hacking or hex editing, but that's outside the purview of most game mods.

If you want to kill dwarves for their bones, you're going to have to play a race other than dwarves, which will also make it so that dwarves don't come as migrants, so it's sort of pointless.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:47:45 pm »

I think it COULD be possible to replace the bone material of dwarves with bones from another creature (changing LOCAL_MAT to CREATURE:SOMETHING) but there may be something hardcoded interfering with it. I haven't tried it though, so it might work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:07:01 am »

I dont think that the material is the problem, but that the corpses and bodyparts are still considered a part of your civ. Reanimated dwarf corpses are friendly, which means that they keep their alliances.

If you do mod your game to make a megaproject easier, why not just make a reaction that produces bone-blocks from bodyparts (limbs, meat, hoof, horn) and remains ? I know that butchering dwarves would be more fitting, the only way you can do this is by making a dwarf caste, and give it the PET tag. you can order them at embark, from caravans and butcher them, getting dwarf bones. They wont do labor though, but you get an unlimited source for dwarf bones.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Slidey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 04:57:44 am »

Maybe giving chickens and peahens and cats and dogs etc extra butchering drop using the tags in creature tokens. Use the birds eggs to get a population of boney breeders up fast for lasting bone production. And butcher any nonpetted dogs and cats you dont need

Generally start with males btw..leave 2 or so breeding age ones (not used as fighting fodder and/or secure them since they breed by radiating maleness/spore) as the female population increases.

Though if you wanted dwarf bones for atmosphere..you could rename the dwarves entirely and rename another species you CAN butcher to dwarf (maybe reshape the species too+extra drops)

edit:i just noticed this http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6180 maybe that will serve your need/want
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:00:32 am by Slidey »

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 09:51:54 am »

The general goal of the project is to build a giant structure out of bones obtained in Dwarfy ways, so breeding anything but the most viscous animals wont do. Unless someone can point out a way to flag friendly corpses as usable I'm just going to give up on using migrant bones and build the whole structure from the bones of my enemies.

i just noticed this http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6180 maybe that will serve your need/want

It's funny you found that considering that was put up just for my project.

The All Guardsmen Party

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 10:02:58 am »

Can anyone confirm if letting a corpse rot to bones gets around the friendly corpse problem or raising the corpses as undead?

I don't have any experience with the new undead.

The All Guardsmen Party

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 10:31:31 am »

The general goal of the project is to build a giant structure out of bones obtained in Dwarfy ways, so breeding anything but the most viscous animals wont do.
Then couldn't you have some reaction that grants you some building material which is exclusively obtained by sacrificing a dwarf? The point is to convert useless migrants into a megastructure, not the actual bones themselves, yes?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 10:36:43 am »

The theory is to build a giant skeleton out of bones. I have a reaction for turning bones into blocks currently but if I can't use that for dwarf bones a reaction that eats a dwarf and returns a bone block is acceptable, but I have no idea how to code something like that.

The All Guardsmen Party

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 11:03:44 am »

You should be able to create a reaction that kills the user via a short-lived vapour which gives a deadly interaction. I've never tested it but you should also be able to produce dwarf bones as a product of that reaction and use them just fine.

Look at some of meph's reactions for insight. A lot of his interaction-based reactions are based off the premise of short-lived vapours, I think.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 11:06:43 am »

A funnier way: make a temple. When a dwarf prays here, he does not die for bones. Instead he temporary turns into a maniac and can use demonic powers to transform any dwarf he sees into a dying husk which leaves bones/bone block behind (an interaction to turn into a dying creature with an itemcorpse). Profit!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 11:35:43 am »

A funnier way: make a temple. When a dwarf prays here, he does not die for bones. Instead he temporary turns into a maniac and can use demonic powers to transform any dwarf he sees into a dying husk which leaves bones/bone block behind (an interaction to turn into a dying creature with an itemcorpse). Profit!
Sounds amusing but I'm going to try to keep things as close to vanilla as possible, so I'm just adding a reaction like Deon suggested.

I found another thread where they made an altar to turn dwarves into adamantium so I'm going to rip them off and turn a migrant into three blocks of bone.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The All Guardsmen Party

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 05:46:24 pm »

Related: I once tried to make dwarves just drop adamantine boulders on death. It worked, but I couldn't use the boulders.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 07:42:02 pm »

How about a reaction that creates a stone that instaboils and has an attatched syndrome that transorms dwarves into a caste of dwarves that never appears naturally, and has the [PET] tag?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.