Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom Race/Entity help!  (Read 5702 times)

Triskelli

• Bay Watcher
  • A man of wealth and taste
    • View Profile
Custom Race/Entity help!
« on: April 18, 2012, 02:08:16 pm »

Long time lurker, first time poster.  I'm working on a few custom creatures and items for some friends.  I've mostly got it handled, but thought I would throw it to Bay12 to see if I can improve/customize these creatures a little more.

Here's the more complete race file to start with.  I've gotten these to spawn on the world map in about the desired location.  Some of the long-term effects need to be hashed out though.

CHURUSAN

Description:
The Churusans are a jungle dwelling race of cat-like humanoids.  To escape the predators of their environment they have adapted to live in the trees in the forest canopy.  Of note is the short brown fur to help insulate and camouflage the Churusan, as well as the highly specialized head-whiskers which are used to detect movement.  These antennae a

Peculiarly, despite their obvious mammalian features the Churusans are a species of egg layers.  A breeding pair can produce an egg each year.

During their mating season, the female churusan grow drastically in size and strength, increasing their mass by an average of 60% over the course of a few weeks.  The influx of hormones is a side effect of their bodies preparing to create the egg.  The females then compete over nesting materials, food for the yet unlaid egg, as well as the right to breed with the selection of males.  Some churusan have discovered how to trigger this growth intentionally, and venture out of their jungle homes in search of adventure and fame.

The Churusan are a gentle but uncivilized race, having yet to discover metalworking.  Theirs is a matriarchal society, where the oldest and strongest lead the various tribes.  Wooden spears are the weapon of choice; and in the heat of the swamp a simple loincloth suffices for clothing, if a Churusan decides to wear anything at all.

See comments inside spoiler.
Spoiler: creature_churusan.txt (click to show/hide)

Just copied most of the Elf code for now.  Churusan seem to populate perfectly well, but they fight and die in hordes during wars (700 in attacking army, 500 die to handful of goblins)
Spoiler: entity_churusan.txt (click to show/hide)

Yeah, it's an odd blend of other creatures.  But this is what the guy wrote, and I'm fairly close to realizing it.  Mainly need some advice on the syndrome length and application.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Race/Entity help!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 02:11:44 pm »

Churusan seem to populate perfectly well, but they fight and die in hordes during wars (700 in attacking army, 500 die to handful of goblins)

[WOOD_WEAPONS]
   [WOOD_ARMOR]

Nuff said.

Also, egglayers with boobs? Do want.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 02:14:08 pm »

For the seasonal syndromes, sadly the only way to get it to work is the START:386400:END:403200 that you have suggested. Also in adventure mode this syndrome will run it's course 16x faster then in fortress mode, not really anything you can do about that. Lastly instead of needing to create a new creature class you can use [SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:CHURUSAN:FEMALE] and it should only affect the female ones, also meaning you don't need to specifically exclude the males.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Triskelli

• Bay Watcher
  • A man of wealth and taste
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 03:10:11 pm »

[WOOD_WEAPONS]
   [WOOD_ARMOR]

Nuff said.

Yeah, I figured as much.  Still, they're a group of tribesmen, so I don't want to give them iron gauntlets or anything.  Are there any good ways to reduce the number of wars they get in?  That, or make wooden spears more effective...

Also, egglayers with boobs? Do want.

Haha, pretty much.  Still undecided if I want to give them a rack though.  Not too hard to add them as another tissue, the problem is that they wind up being described as "tall breasts" or "narrow breasts" if they're mentioned at all.  Toady needs to add a simple SIZE modifier that just goes from "tiny" to "huge".

For the seasonal syndromes, sadly the only way to get it to work is the START:386400:END:403200 that you have suggested. Also in adventure mode this syndrome will run it's course 16x faster then in fortress mode, not really anything you can do about that. Lastly instead of needing to create a new creature class you can use [SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:CHURUSAN:FEMALE] and it should only affect the female ones, also meaning you don't need to specifically exclude the males.

Thanks.  A few more questions though:

---Would it be possible to tie the syndrome to the werewolf interaction?  It would be that time of the month again rather than that time of year.  ;)
---Will probably have a "force hormones" interaction for adventurer players to use in lieu of the normal syndrome.
---Is there a better way to apply syndromes that I've missed?  May go back to using the liquid secretion.
---When I tried adding eyestalks initially, the game crashed at loading the Arena.  Is there something I'm forgetting to add?

Thanks for all the help so far!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 03:41:38 pm »

You could probably indeed tie it in with the [CE:PERIODIC:MOON_PHASE:27:0] tag, though I personally don't really know enough to tell you exactly how to do it in this case.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.