Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Tower of Legends  (Read 17375 times)

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tower of Legends
« on: April 18, 2012, 05:18:08 pm »

Started working on a megaproject. A tower full of murals depicting forum legends.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I made Sphalerite first. Marble and cobaltite.

Aussie, Kodkod, Girlinhat, and Loud whispers are next.
Assuming I get around to it.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Legends
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 05:27:24 pm »

Started working on a megaproject. A tower full of murals depicting forum legends.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I made Sphalerite first. Marble and cobaltite.

Aussie, Kodkod, Girlinhat, and Loud whispers are next.
Assuming I get around to it.

Holy smokes, Batman, that's awesome. Is this tower going to be used for anything specific or is it primarily for show? It sounds complicated, plixelated pictures like some avatars are one thing, but I wish you luck with making a Fennec fox, et alles.

I'm a legend, though? Damn, I work fast.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 05:29:53 pm »

Well, at the very least very well known and currently active.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 05:35:57 pm »

Really though, I am interested to know how you're going to approach avatars such as Loud Whispers' and Girlinhat's. They seem rather intricate for Dwarf Fortress alone.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 05:38:10 pm »

Awesome work with Sphalerite's! Looking forwards to seeing the rest of them.

I'm most curious about how you'll overcome Loud Whisper's shapeshifting habits... And this thread reminds me again that I still need an avatar. :-\
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 05:49:34 pm »

Loud whisper shape-shifts?
*Checks* So it does.
Experimenting with Girlinhats pixel-schematic right now. And I think I'll make hers slightly larger and in the basement. Its simply too detailed for a 50x50. Especially with the limited color scheme. Edit: Got it to work right with a 75x75 I believe. But I think I'll leave hers and whispers for last, and do aussie and kod's first. By which I mean I'll work on them WAY later tonight cuz that shit makes the eyes bleed if you work on it for too long.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:54:23 pm by Schizotek »

PoodleIncident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 06:12:36 pm »

Hatches, linked to water logic based on time of day. That'll get you a shapeshifting loudwhispers.

I need to upload my avater too...

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 06:39:24 pm »

Well, you're loud (in terms of volume or posts) and opinionated, and you have a very recognizable avatar (or three), so you get noticed a lot. ;)

I guess I gotta get myself an avatar someday, so people will notice me.   :-\
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 06:43:04 pm »

Well, you're loud (in terms of volume or posts) and opinionated, and you have a very recognizable avatar (or three), so you get noticed a lot. ;)

I notice you. lol   The only reason I don't have an avatar is that I have no idea what would "fit" me.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 06:50:13 pm »

It's always interesting how much whether your considered a "legend" is dependent upon how loud/rememberable you are.

There's a bunch of people like KodKod who are very vocal and are fall into the forum "legend" category yet usually only have a thousand or so posts and have only been around for a year or two. Then there's the group of old timers that are a bit quieter yet have been around since 2008 or earlier.

It's just always interesting who the forum elects to elevate. :P

As a side note I've tended to notice that those who the forums elect to elevate tend to be very active either in the Dwarf Mode Discussion or the General Discussion forums, or they tend to operate their own large mod (Deon for example). Those who tend to post in the Gameplay Questions or Modding Forum (without large mods of their own) tend to remain fairly anonymous.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 06:51:57 pm »

Indeed :P

kronith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 08:09:56 pm »

awesome picture, this i will watch with exuberance :P and im looking forward to how you deal with girlinhats avatar as well

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 08:15:53 pm »

It's always interesting how much whether your considered a "legend" is dependent upon how loud/rememberable you are.

There's a bunch of people like KodKod who are very vocal and are fall into the forum "legend" category yet usually only have a thousand or so posts and have only been around for a year or two. Then there's the group of old timers that are a bit quieter yet have been around since 2008 or earlier.

It's just always interesting who the forum elects to elevate. :P

As a side note I've tended to notice that those who the forums elect to elevate tend to be very active either in the Dwarf Mode Discussion or the General Discussion forums, or they tend to operate their own large mod (Deon for example). Those who tend to post in the Gameplay Questions or Modding Forum (without large mods of their own) tend to remain fairly anonymous.
I agree with this..... Honestly I would consider Mitchewawa, NW_Kohaku, Quietust and a few others as forum legends... Or perhaps a better term would be "DF legends", as they've done noteworthy !!SCIENCE!!. I agree with Sphaelerite, ThatAussieGuy and Girlinhat being in the list, though.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 08:17:03 pm »

I know I'm not that special (except for being insane), but if you want, mine should be easy to do. It's only 6 colors.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 08:18:11 pm »

I notice you. lol   The only reason I don't have an avatar is that I have no idea what would "fit" me.

I imagine you as a blond girlish boy figure.

....DONT KILL ME!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5