Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siegers steal items when retreating.  (Read 1235 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siegers steal items when retreating.
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:16:10 pm »

In any historical siege, the attackers burned and looted everything. Dwarf fortress sieges go "Ooooh......naaaah....just here to kill....."

Goblins may not care, but elves and humans (And others) may want to get a profit from a defeat. On retreat they grab and burn everything. (Burn meaning smash, if theres a nearby statue on retreat he will smash it.) or if theres adamanite flasks nearby he will grab it.

Elves would grab logs and wooden items to "avenge there fallen friends."

Humans would grab coins, metals, and fish for there rulers.

Goblins would steal children.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:21:43 pm by Corai »
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siegers steal items when retreating.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:58:24 am »

indeed, i would love it if amputee goblins would stop running for their lives and start attacking statues as my military pursues them.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:43:23 pm »

indeed, i would love it if amputee goblins would stop running for their lives and start attacking statues as my military pursues them.

Not like that, if you were a tiny annoying pesk, wouldnt you want to get some form of damage in? This means they route there "escape" to also smash nearby items as they flee.

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 10:25:06 am »

but when they escape, they're running for their lives.  This sort of pillage behavior would only make sense if they're locked out, in which case there may not be much to steal/destroy.  They won't bother with this if they can chase and kill dwarves.  Now, if you wait out a siege and they can steal stuff, then yeah they should pillage as they leave when they can't find anyone to kill.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 01:53:12 pm »

I know that, personally, if the attacking force I was a part of had been forced to retreat after being broken and devastated, picking up a souvenir on the way out probably wouldn't be very high on my priority list.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 01:59:40 pm »

It depends on the situation.  My defenses are often static - chokepoints and marksdwarf bunkers.  (Screw that honorable fighting bullcrap.  I'm an engineer!  I say the purpose of combat is to prove you have fully prepared for every eventuality that the enemy could possibly come up with by deploying countermeasures in advance with redundancies.  "Honor" is for those too dumb to understand "Strategy".)

If the last stragglers who let their "courageous" and "honorable" leaders brave the head of the charge into the first wooden cage trap before the magma pours in, and happen to scramble to safety like any creature with enough wits NOT to get naturally selected by my front door, then they should clearly help their chances of procreation by liberating some of the nearby loot for their own purposes.

And by "loot", I of course mean the equipment on the bodies of their slain or imprisoned and soon to be magma-melted companions, of course.  No sense being loyal to the dead, and I'm sure not leaving any valuables anywhere outside my impregnable ring of deathtraps.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 08:28:20 pm »

This would be an interesting addition; maybe siegers under direct fire or being chased when retreating would just run, while those gobbos/humans/elves/others who aren't being attacked could grab some loot as they left. Also cool would be if retreating siegers of races whose ethics allowed it could take some trophies from dwarven dead - you know, a head here, a hand there. I mean, if I were retreating from an impregnable dark castle, I'd definately saw off some body parts while the defenders were busy with the other guys, if I had managed to kill a dwarf or three.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.