Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Glass in the raws  (Read 2375 times)

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Re: Glass in the raws
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 06:39:09 am »

Oddly enough, despite having green salts, glass made with metallic copper is dark red, and is used as a cheap substitute for gold glass.  Bone ash or cassiterite can be used to make milk glass.  Gold makes a red glass called Cranberry Glass. Manganese can be used in small quantities to make raw green glass clear, or in larger quantities to give an amethyst purple color, which the egyptians were fond of.  The only manganese mineral in DF at the moment is spessartine, but pyrolusite would be a sensible thing to add as a rare stone type, and would also work.  Cobalt was also used for decolorizing (in very small amounts), and can be used to give a nice dark blue.  Green vitriol and some carbon gives amber glass.

All of these could also be used as glazes.

EDIT:  since the acid thread is three years old, I'll just mention here that fairly concentrated sulufric acid (oil of vitriol) can be made by burning saltpeter and sulfur while adding copious steam.  This can be done in glass containers, but it's much easier to use lead.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:48:07 am by Sadrice »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 08:03:40 am »

Interesting, Sadrice,

I'm curious as to how one would go about adding steam? how is that accomplished?
For they would be your masters.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 11:52:43 am »

With that many choices, it's very Dwarfy.

However, I would point out that by using special INORGANIC materials and custom reactions at a glassmaker workshop, it seems like it's already possible.  Is there really anything denying the possibility of making those types of glasses through reactions right now?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 01:56:47 pm »

If the brimstone and saltpeter are boiling, I assume just pouring water into the reaction vessel would work.  Of course that might involve taking the lid off and getting a faceful of noxious gas...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 02:44:19 pm »

With that many choices, it's very Dwarfy.

However, I would point out that by using special INORGANIC materials and custom reactions at a glassmaker workshop, it seems like it's already possible.  Is there really anything denying the possibility of making those types of glasses through reactions right now?

Not really, in fact, someone has made colored glass in a mod before.  I already linked it earlier in this thread: Colored Glass Mod.

Of course, if we wanted farmable saltpeter, we'd need to have the collection process for the ingredients of saltpeter actually put in the game...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]