Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On visuals: Tilesets and resizing. (I like big tiles and I cannot lie.)  (Read 5613 times)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like big tiles and I cannot lie.  And by lie, I mean see.  See the small, small, teeny tiles.  I need new glasses and my monitor is freakin' tiny AND I WANT MAXIMUM RIDICULOUS MAX ZOOM IN ON MY DORFS.

I put off asking about this because I didn't think getting a closer zoom/bigger picture was possible, but having just been reminded that I don't know jack about DFHack, this is worth a try.

Is is possible to moosh vanilla DF into displaying its tiles as square?  Vanilla DF tiles are big enough for me, but...  not equilateral.

(Current fort is all about the radial symmetry, and rectangular tiles are not suitable.)

Failing that, is there any goddamned way to make a tileset bigger than this one?  It's nice, aside from the kerning, but too small.

(Tried copying that tileset, blowing it up 200%, and using the new image...  the colors got weird, but the graphics stayed the same size.  Tried renaming the file 32x32 instead of 16x16, but still no dice.  I know my way around basic image editing, but have no fucking clue how to make init.txt realize that MEL NEED BIG PICTURES.)

Lowering my screen resolution to 800x600 works on other games, but not DF.  Getting new glasses is necessary but not happening any time soon.  (Don't worry; I see good enough to drive; I just like being able to zoom in ultra-close.  And you probably don't live near me.  Probably.)
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile

you can zoom in using the scrollbutton on your mouse.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

cidrei

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

In regards to init.txt, the changes to make are primarily to point to the new tileset, assuming you changed the name. FONT and FULLFONT for ASCII mode, GRAPHICS_FONT and GRAPHICS_FULLFONT for graphics mode.

As for resizing and making it look nice, Tilesize Resizer sounds like what you're looking for. A little setup is involved, but after that you can resize the tileset of your choice using various means. I'm currently using Phoebus in a nice 20x20 size, and it helps immensely on actually being able to see things.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I need new glasses and my monitor is freakin' tiny AND I WANT MAXIMUM RIDICULOUS MAX ZOOM IN ON MY DORFS.

What is the actual horizontal hardware resolution of your monitor?
Dwarf Fortress enforces a hardcoded display of a minimum of 80 tiles in the horizontal direction.
Because of this the maximum tile size (in pixels) that can be displayed on a monitor can be calculated the following way.

Maximum Tile Size = (Monitor Horizontal Resolution In Pixels)/80
The Cooz tileset you linked is a 16x16 tileset, requiring a minimum horizontal screen resolution of 1280, e.g. 1280x800.  If your monitor isn't any higher resolution than this, you may not be able to get any larger.  If it is, you could try an existing 18x18 tileset (min. resolution 1440), 20x20 tileset (min. resolution 1600), or 24x24 tileset (min. resolution 1920) for size.  Once you find a size that works for you and your monitor, you can look for existing tilesets that you like the look of, or if there aren't any upscale a smaller tileset using a graphics program or the resizer (best upscaling results are probably from one exactly half the size you want). 

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online

I use the following in vanilla DF.  It comes out fairly square.

[WINDOWEDX:960]
[WINDOWEDY:600]
[FONT:Tileset_unknown_960x300_02.bmp]

Example:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.