Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Giant Jumping Spider...  (Read 23154 times)

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Jumping Spider...
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 10:30:59 pm »

yeah giant jumping spiders don't jump, so they're not use for now.

They're fast, it also just demolished a rutherer in 1v1.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 04:20:36 am »

So it's really more of a Giant Wolf Spider.  I think I'm ok with that.  Although, a true giant jumping spider would be pretty cool.  It could leap a few dozen tiles into the middle of an invading squad.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 04:45:34 am »

That's too many spiders. Have you not seen Eight Legged Freaks? It can only end in tears.

Do you remember the bit where the trapdoor spiders emerged from the ground to begin nommin' people?

(A plot hole in the story being that those spiders also would've survived the explosion in the end... Have fun Aussies).

Now imagine those in a Dorf Fortress. Fighting for or against, either would work.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 06:19:20 am »

b+T+t

build+Traps+trapdoor spider.. A mix of a weapon trap and a cage tap where the enemy is snared 1z level down and is viciously mauled by a spider.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 10:01:17 am »

Do you remember the bit where the trapdoor spiders emerged from the ground to begin nommin' people?
(A plot hole in the story being that those spiders also would've survived the explosion in the end... Have fun Aussies).
Now imagine those in a Dorf Fortress. Fighting for or against, either would work.

Of course I remember, I've only seen the movie eleventeen times.

I think they'd be a great danger for the caverns, hidden away out of visibility. You don't even notice that they are there until every dwarf who enters the caverns turns up missing without any sign of a struggle. They just plod along collecting webs and then bam, in the blink of an eye they're gone.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 10:45:02 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or even better, digging along a nice iron vein, when you stumble upon a mysterious tunnel... BAM! Spiders everywhere, penumbra style.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 11:04:24 am »

Digging out an adamantine vein when BOOM 'eerie cavern' and spiderdemons come flying out spraying webs, spiderman style.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 11:12:33 am »

I just tested a giant brown recluse against a Yeti. Guess who won with a single broken foot?
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 11:15:57 am »

I just tested a giant brown recluse against a Yeti. Guess who won with a single broken foot?

All of dwarfdom.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 11:18:21 am »

Interestingly, he was also able to beat down a Batman, a Beakdog, a Black Mamba man, and a Blizzard man (one on one, at least), before finally getting demolished by a bronze colossus.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2012, 11:46:22 am »

So it's really more of a Giant Wolf Spider.  I think I'm ok with that.  Although, a true giant jumping spider would be pretty cool.  It could leap a few dozen tiles into the middle of an invading squad.

Jumping spiders are a somewhat diverse group, and some of them do have venomous bites, but the jumping is probably what most people expect, just because of the name.

Some species will tether themselves to where they jump from when they make a jump, and can spring back to where they jumped off of their silk lifeline, in case they miss their target.  They also love to jump down on prey from above, so it acts as a bungie cord safety line. 

Diving down on dwarves from ledges in caverns would make for a rather neat surprise, especially if they could form some "ladders" of silk when they jumped. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2012, 12:51:09 pm »

That's not a plot hole, that's leaving the door open for a sequel.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2012, 03:29:50 pm »

Jumping spiders are a somewhat diverse group, and some of them do have venomous bites, but the jumping is probably what most people expect, just because of the name.

Some species will tether themselves to where they jump from when they make a jump, and can spring back to where they jumped off of their silk lifeline, in case they miss their target.  They also love to jump down on prey from above, so it acts as a bungie cord safety line. 

Diving down on dwarves from ledges in caverns would make for a rather neat surprise, especially if they could form some "ladders" of silk when they jumped.

Also they are just the cutest little things.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2012, 03:35:58 pm »

Spiderbro ;_;

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 03:38:32 pm »

That spider can't beat this one:

Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7