Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military menus really annoying, is there a better way?  (Read 2677 times)

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
Military menus really annoying, is there a better way?
« on: April 21, 2012, 02:20:29 am »

Is it just me or are the military menus really annoying? When you choose a noble it sorts the list by relevant skills, that would be nice! When you have 200 dwarves it takes ages to go through them all.

Another thing is when you select one the list resets to the start! Somebody said that the dwarves pick the best equipment from the top of the list down so I like to put the best ones at the top but you have to go through the whole list before you know who the next best guy is. Worst thing is if you find somebody, move left and go up or down to select a different person to replace: the list resets! Arrrg!

So if you see a guy who is better then your number 2 you have to sort though the list, find the guy, realise he's better, deselect the number 2, sort through the list from the start to find the new number 2, sort through the list from the start to find the number 3 and hope you don't find somebody that supersedes the new number 2 or 3 or you'll have to start all over again!

Without all this resetting to the start if you were to just pick out 10 guys with skill X it should only take you looking at 200 dwarfs. With the list resetting each dwarf will take an average of 100 dwarves to find so you effectively have to look through 1000 just to make the list. This is without any attempt to order them which will increase the amount of work you have to do by an order of magnitude. 

Yeah you can just use Dwarf Therapist, pen and paper I guess but it could be so much easier.

P.S. actually thinking about it taking down names doesn't help much as you still have to look through the constantly resetting random list to find the name. Just a sort mode toggle would really help, alphabetical or by skill X.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 02:59:06 am by SAFry »

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military menus really annoying, is there a better way?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 04:19:29 am »

Yes, the military setup is annoying right now. Game's still in alpha; it'll get better when Toady gets around to fixing it, probably as part of the military arc.

In the meantime, Therapist and custom names and/or professions will solve about 80% of your problem, there, especially if you include special characters to make 'em easier to pick out of the list - if your first squad has professions of "^1", "^2", "^3", "^4" and your second squad has professions of "*1", "*2", "*3", "*4", you should be able to get them sorted out quite quickly, and you can set those professions up in about a minute with Therapist.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 04:50:02 am »

Good idea with putting the character at the start and ranking them like that. Should help a lot, cheers!

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 06:53:23 am »

Game's still in alpha; it'll get better when Toady gets around to fixing it

While true, the game probably never will be complete.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 05:26:59 pm »

I've always had the impression that the list is in arrival order - so whenever I get migrants, I sort Therapist by migration wave, decide which newcomers I want to draft, and start looking from the bottom of the in-game list.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 05:32:49 pm »

pretty much yeah
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 05:47:12 pm »

AdeleneDawner's idea works well, plus you can set nicknames for your essential workers too so you don't put them in the front line. I have a few masons for example but only 2 I care about protecting.

The reason I sort them is somebody said that the best equipment goes from the top member of the top squad down so I want my best warriors in charge of each squad and them to get the best equipment.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 06:03:49 pm »

Game's still in alpha; it'll get better when Toady gets around to fixing it

While true, the game probably never will be complete.

Army arc isn't insanely far off, though.