Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Nethercap arrows/weapons  (Read 17264 times)

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Re: Nethercap arrows/weapons
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 10:11:46 pm »

In the modding forum there's a 'community spellbook' thread with a number of freezing vapor interactions, which are deadly to both target and user without cold resistance.

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 11:12:40 am »

So if one could make a full set of nethercap armor, could one then make a magmaproof dwarf?
Well not magmaproof, since immersing said dwarf in 7/7 magma would still end with the dwarf on fire, but maybe magmaresistant, so that one's dwarves could wade in 3/7 magma without harm?

Hmm, if that is the case, then it is good that elves only use wood that they have grown themselves.
If elves had access to nethercap.....*SHUDDER*

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 12:07:31 pm »

Well nethercap logs are SO cold that they are magma resistance soo... perhaps arm hunters (that have no fat) with nethercap bolts and make the hunt imps! It would be like a silver bullet to a werewolf.

Toady changed the way fire works, so now burning off all you fat wont make you immume to fire (you win this time, thermodynamics!)

Hmmm, then we'll call it a bug when I flooded my fort with magma to end it, and my dwarves all swam around in it until it reached 7/7, and they began drowning.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 12:10:51 pm »

So if one could make a full set of nethercap armor, could one then make a magmaproof dwarf?
Well not magmaproof, since immersing said dwarf in 7/7 magma would still end with the dwarf on fire, but maybe magmaresistant, so that one's dwarves could wade in 3/7 magma without harm?

would save their feet when walking through "puddle/smear of magma"  It would not save them from actual liquid magma.  I recall even 2/7 and 3/7 liquid will completely cover every part of a dwarf.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 01:35:42 pm »

would save their feet when walking through "puddle/smear of magma"  It would not save them from actual liquid magma.  I recall even 2/7 and 3/7 liquid will completely cover every part of a dwarf.
Yes, but if you have a full set of clothing, with at least one of every type of clothing that has a [COVERAGE = 100] tag in the raws, then you should be fully covered.  After a quick glance just now, it does indeed appear to me as if this is the case.  Hoods, for example, have 100% head coverage.

As long as each item is coded as "100%" coverage, DF will not worry about things like how dwarves can see out of a 100% coverage hood, or how they breathe, etc.  It should still fully protect you, whether it actually makes logical sense or not.

Setting aside the problem that you can't make wooden hoods, of course... elves might have such things, or artifacts, though, so it is theoretically POSSIBLE without modding.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 01:37:22 pm »

Don't robes cover the entire body with 100% coverage?  Just edit robes to be made of wood. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 01:54:39 pm »

I'm fairly certain that since the magma update (to fix dwarves with all of their fat melted off not dying) even if you have 100% coverage you still die.. It takes quite a bit longer, potentially making it possible to quickly walk into the magma and then walk out again, but if you remain in there for a little while then you still die.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 12:11:29 am »

I'm fairly certain that since the magma update (to fix dwarves with all of their fat melted off not dying) even if you have 100% coverage you still die.. It takes quite a bit longer, potentially making it possible to quickly walk into the magma and then walk out again, but if you remain in there for a little while then you still die.
well then we just have to make the DWARVES out of nethercap.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 10:40:54 am »

Well nethercap logs are SO cold that they are magma resistance soo... perhaps arm hunters (that have no fat) with nethercap bolts and make the hunt imps! It would be like a silver bullet to a werewolf.

Toady changed the way fire works, so now burning off all you fat wont make you immume to fire (you win this time, thermodynamics!)

Hmmm, then we'll call it a bug when I flooded my fort with magma to end it, and my dwarves all swam around in it until it reached 7/7, and they began drowning.

Well, I'm pretty sure toady did that for the 2012 release. That must of been a early version, but anyway I would much prefer to see dwarf running around screaming and on fire than swimming happly.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2012, 10:54:45 am »

Don't robes cover the entire body with 100% coverage?  Just edit robes to be made of wood. 

....Then make adamantine robes o.O?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2012, 12:04:34 pm »

If I remember correctly, [MAT_FIXED_TEMP], which Nether Cap is the only vanilla material I know of that has that tag, doesn't emit temperature. That is, it doesn't change the temperature of anything it comes into contact to. However, using [MELTING_POINT] and [BOILING_POINT], which sets the temperature ranges at which it's a solid(below [MELTING_POINT]), liquid(between the two), and gas(above [BOILING_POINT]), you can freeze stuff that way, I think.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2012, 12:48:07 pm »

I recently experimented with melting stuff in adventure mode. Got a chunk of some fire demon, which had a fixed temp of 25000 °U. Put in a backpack with some stones or metal objects, it almost immediately melted them (and ignited the backpack). The only materials weren't affected were adamantine and dolomite (melts at about 16500 °U). I guess that's because of environment's influence, not sure, was it direct or through the backpack. If latter, maybe bag sewn of fire webber demon silk could solve the problem. Also, speaking of demon silk, there was some talk about it recently and it seems that it always has a fixed temperature like the demon itself, and if demon isn't material-based (those usually have some strange temp values), it works almost like nether-cap. Dwarves covered in such silks unfortunately won't become magma-proof, but it does help aganist fireballs.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2012, 01:34:42 pm »

Doesn't work in Arena Mode as stepping into 1/7 lava with a full set of armor still kills you by melting exposed fingers, toes, and your mouth. The only way around that is with a cloak and you can't make those out of wood.

If you add in a thread-bearing plant that has the same qualities as nethercap wood and make clothes out of that cloth, it might work.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2012, 06:54:39 pm »

Nethecap robe:

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2012, 07:07:12 pm »

Adding a thread plant with nether-cap's properties seems to work just the same as wooden armor made of nether-cap, but test goblins in the arena with a robe, chausses, and hoods, all made of icicle grass, on top of a full set of nethercap armor still have two fingers on each hand, two toes on each foot, and their mouth melt, which kills them fairly quickly by bleeding out. Apparently, no matter how much coverage you have, those parts are still exposed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]