Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Nethercap arrows/weapons  (Read 17261 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Nethercap arrows/weapons
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 12:54:19 pm »

Given that we have infinite cold sinks and infinite heat sources, it's not actually all that surprising that it's possible to build a perpetual motion machine out of logs and rocks.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 12:56:45 pm »

Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 01:06:28 pm »

Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.
Physics are awesome and the universe is a troll.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 01:26:16 pm »

Given that we have infinite cold sinks and infinite heat sources, it's not actually all that surprising that it's possible to build a perpetual motion machine out of logs and rocks.

Well, I was assuming they were "functionally infinite" (as in, not going to run out any time soon, like how the Sun is a functionally infinite source of energy for as far as humans are concerned), although that does open up some interesting concepts.

One of the things I was thinking of talking about in the alchemical property thread was how we could hypothetically start creating tools of multiple arbitrary magical properties, of the like of nethercaps as perpetual thermal sinks and matching them up against perpetual thermal fountains. 

Place a magma-temperature device in a nethercap box to make it "off", but slide the nethercap lid away to generate a heat source like an oven. 

Alternately, a magma-temperature sword might come with a wooden nethercap crossguard. 

Then, of course, there's the functional free energy reactors if we just plain build a steam engine off of a perpetual thermal fountain reactor with a perpetual thermal sink condenser.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 01:29:14 pm »

Well nethercap logs are SO cold that they are magma resistance soo... perhaps arm hunters (that have no fat) with nethercap bolts and make the hunt imps! It would be like a silver bullet to a werewolf.

Toady changed the way fire works, so now burning off all you fat wont make you immume to fire (you win this time, thermodynamics!)

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 01:30:12 pm »

Heh heh, a stirling engine with one end made of nether cap and the other end dunked in magma man blood......
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 01:54:53 pm »

Having done some fairly rigorous testing with extreme cold in DF, I can confirm that creatures will die of frostbite, but it takes quite a while.  They also have to be in contact with the cold object for a long time, and it has to be really cold.

EDIT:  Sorry, had to leave the computer I was working on.  Anyway, yes, frostbite is possible, but rarely fatal in the short term.  It took me quite a bit of tinkering to get a material which could reliably cause frostbite, and it ended up being around 2500 U.  As a liquid spray, it would coat the target and cause frostbite on all their skin in a relatively short period.  Unfortunately, this did not seem to be reliably able to kill on its own, though I'm pretty sure frostbite will cause death by infection if left long enough.

As a weapon, it was nigh useless, as it would only cause the wielder's hand to freeze.  When I made a bolt out of it, it only caused frostbite when it lodged in the target, and it still took a while before there was any noticeable effect.  Unless it managed to freeze a vital organ (the impact of the arrow/bolt would probably kill/seriously wound the target anyway in this case, as frostbite is very localized), I doubt a frostbite-based arrow/bolt would kill in any reasonable timeframe.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:14:01 pm by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 02:38:14 pm »

Wait, then how come I can make charcoal and ash out of nethercaps, unless Dwarven smelters can actually disassemble and reassemble  stuff down to a molecular level without using any heat?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:44:51 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 02:39:50 pm »

Dbl Post
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:44:04 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 02:43:57 pm »

Clearly wood furnaces use strong oxidizers, rather than fire.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 02:47:36 pm »

I shudder to think at what sort of acid/base compounds can actually smelt adamantine.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 08:26:58 pm »

I shudder to think at what sort of acid/base compounds can actually smelt adamantine.
OR the answer to the riddle is that Dwarves can "turn off" the magic temporarily or are resistant to it, another common fantasy trope.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 08:51:46 pm »

I think I've said this before somewhere else, but I've always thought of Dwarves as being Magical as long as it relates to industry.
So they can effectively use their Industrial magic to counteract Nethercaps' magic.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 09:21:54 pm »

I made a creature that was essentially human with a fixed temp of zero.  It was kindof boring after my unbelievably hot adventurer who could set fire to people with grabs and turn picked up rocks to boiling magma - grabbing people wouldn't really yield any effect, so I wouldn't be hopeful that a mildly cold nethercap weapon would do anything through cold.  Actually, the main change for this species was that entering water would cause it to be instantly encased in ice and killed (I was hoping the water would freeze before I stepped in, but that doesn't seem to work).

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 09:40:26 pm »

I once made two creatures. One that was hotter than the surface of the sun and the other about 0 urists. One had dragon fire breath. The other had vapor breath attack of a 0 urist liquid. I think the latter one was more deadly because while testing in arena even if I managed to wash off the super cold liquid it would still cause what ever I was playing to steadily freeze to death after about 20 to 100 frames depending on the size of the creature. And part of the reason it was more deadly is probably thanks to the fact the those vapors flows aren't blocked by shields. But this was quite a while ago, some time around the "acid" rain bug.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: 1 [2] 3