Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!HOLY HELL!!  (Read 1794 times)

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile
!!HOLY HELL!!
« on: April 19, 2012, 12:43:22 pm »

!!magma fish!!
!!live in magma!!
!!catch the fish!!
!!eat the fish!!
!!SCIENCE!!

??!!is this possible!!??
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: !!HOLY HELL!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 12:53:30 pm »

I tried it and it does not work. I made a fish farm instead for underground/indoor fishing. You could easily do a magma fish farm, that needs magma and makes exotic custom fish like fire shrimps and such.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:55:55 pm »

It is kind of funny since the game actually has the option of producing the message "There is nothing to catch in the magma sea".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 02:12:22 pm »

Really ? I never could get my fishers to walk there to fish, so maybe it does work in theory, dwarven AI is just too... underprivileged.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 02:27:38 pm »

It is kind of funny since the game actually has the option of producing the message "There is nothing to catch in the magma sea".
This is what happens when dwarves attempt to fish in water that is near the magma sea, rather than in the magma itself.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:11:29 pm by Stoup »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 02:35:22 pm »

This is, this happens when dwarves attempt to fish in water that is near the magma sea, rather than in the magma itself.
Really? That's interesting.

I personally was just getting my information form the string dump on the wiki, though it was even funnier back in 40d because the string dump actually contained the messages "there is nothing to catch in the magma pipe" and "there is nothing to catch in the magma pool", though no one could ever figure out how to trigger them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 04:34:48 pm »

I think removing magma and filling the same place with water may allow magma fishing.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository