Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Strange migrations...  (Read 8162 times)

byrnsey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange migrations...
« on: April 19, 2012, 06:29:03 pm »

So I've been playing for two years now and every migration shares the same characteristics.

All dwarves are competent in a weapon skill.  All dwarves are Adequate maximum in labor.  Dwarf labor distribution seems more useless than usual, except for my starting seven, my fort consists almost entirely of adequate fishery workers, farmers(non-secific), and animal trainers.

Is this normal?  I'm guessing my civ is at war with an elven one (almost everyone shows up with an elf or large animal kill or two under their belt)  does that mean no one takes a civilian job in worldgen?  I'm currently at peace with the local elf civ, although I did accidentally offer them a wood crossbow and then stole what I needed before they could leave.  So that may change.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange migrations...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 06:50:50 pm »

I've been getting similar patterns. I'm guessing it relates to the "jobs" that your home civ mainly employs.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

byrnsey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:58:37 pm »

It's just wierd that everyone is adequate.  No experts, legendaries, or even novices.  Anything labor, is adequate.  All weapon skills are competent, all other combat skills, shield, dodge, etc., are novice.  I did just get a great tracker though.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 10:01:01 pm »

Yep, that sounds pretty standard.

More boring migrants is a new feature I guess.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:09:29 pm »

I've noticed similar patterns, though I usually end up with some pretty skilled migrants.

Also, my first thought when reading the title was to start whistling "Good Vibrations."
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 10:10:59 pm »

I've had this happen on one or two embarks in the last weeks, but I've gotten some pretty proficient soldiers, more then novice in most fighting skills.

Someone in another thread said this might happen when you get a goblin king or some such, check out your legends?
I voted for BANANA!

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:56:06 pm »

I just got my first not boring migrant wave a few minutes ago. Level 13: cook, butcher, mason, stonecrafter, glassmaker, armorer, and metalcrafter. Level 6: weaponsmith, furnace operator, seige engineer, and carpenter. Level 3: architect.

The rest were assorted boring fishers... Didn't check military skills yet:p I saved and exited when I realized every skill I've started guys leveling on has a new migrant with double their skill level. Decided to sort it out tomorrow :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 11:12:36 pm »

I have 26 competent macedorfs, 13 competent speardorf, 15 competent sorddorfs, 42 axedorfs, and one hammerdorf.

72 of them have fishing skills.

Dafuq happened to DF?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:20:16 pm »

Toady changed migrant waves. The dwarf who is novice in all farming skills probably used to own a farm or whatever. It's really because migrants are now taken from historical figures, and farming skills are common in worldgen. From an ingame perspective, would YOU send your good weaponsmith to another fort? No, you'd send the useless farmers 
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 11:40:10 pm »

Feels like 1/5 of my migrants have all 3 fishing skills in this latest fort as well, I'm not sure why either.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 12:07:04 am »

I'm lucky I guess. All my migrations come with, like, master miners and great marks dwarves. One time I even got a whole wave of great furnace operators. Like they knew what was coming.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 12:08:22 am »

I'm lucky I guess. All my migrations come with, like, master miners and great marks dwarves. One time I even got a whole wave of great furnace operators. Like they knew what was coming.

Well fuck you.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 12:12:15 am »

Well fuck you.
You shll be cursed as a furnace operator for.... Cursing.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 12:20:06 am »

Hahahah... :P

I've been getting copious levels of fisherdwarves, too, and ahve noticed the nearly complete lack of any sort of deviation in migrant skill. I haven't been getting any military dwarves in my current fort, though, besides hunters. I've had to train melee troops up from recruits.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 01:44:08 am »

This is why I prefer abandoning over destruction, that way I get my legendaries in my next fort.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: [1] 2 3