Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Strange migrations...  (Read 8185 times)

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange migrations...
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 11:05:51 pm »

I've been getting loads of older (90-160 years old) and highly skilled (great in 1 or more skills) migrants in all my recent worlds pretty much. Every now and then a young couple show up, but the vast majority is quite old, some of them even die of age just after arriving pretty much. As for the type of professions, I'm getting loads of fisherdwarves and rangers, then a godd spread of everything else pretty much. Feels sort of like cheating somehow when I get free great skilled workers in pretty much every profession though :(

byrnsey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 12:30:32 am »

Ugh, yea.  I'll have to do something about these babies.  I hate editing the raws though. 

Looks like there was two battles with an elf civ, we conquered and pillaged the first one, fought them to a peace treaty the second time.  Much more fighting with gobbos, but no gobbo kills.  Not sure why two battles means everyone has combat skills/confirmed kills, I suppose that means my civ practices total war.  Guess I should be honored I was allowed to drive 176 slutty fascists insane. (edit: just realized I could legitimately put a "This Machine Kills Fascists" sticker on my Laptop.  God, the looks on people's faces when I try to tie Woody Guthrie into a nerdy ascii game for ocd cases make me half tempted.)

For the record I only made it to year three before the tantrum spiral.  No doubt I would have been 50% or more babies if I'd made it five years.

Thoughts. 

Didn't know clothing was fixed.  Took forever to figure out why all the nude former babies were being such shits and tantruming.  I guess that one's on me.

All females are carrying a baby (on their back, they are ALWAYS pregnant, more on that later) after the first year.  That's 50% of your working population that is unsuited for combat or outside work. (combat is miscarriage/starving orphan tantrums. Snatching becomes tag.  Gobbos always have the baby before they get spotted.  Not that I mind having one less mouth to feed, but the dwarves hate it)  I use a Mac, so DF isn't an option, and I really, really, don't feel like micromanaging to the degree of checking gender every time I assign labor. Even assuming all males are drafted, miners, woodcutters, hunters, and or herbalists, I'm not sure that'll be enough to support/protect a 200 or so strong fort.

It seems like dwarves are immediately impregnated after having a baby.  Had a pissed off miner after getting walled in for a while.  Had a miscarriage, which mystified me at first because she JUST HAD A BABY!  Why not a season or two between.  Also all migrants are married, why don't we de-Duggar Dwarf fortress, and make the ages they get hitched somewhat random?  The only marriage in 3 years was two of my starting 7.  Everyone else was already hitched with kids and more on the way.  Why don't we tone that down, Toady? 

Assuming I made it 12 years, all those babies would be useless, unskilled dwarves (Although one got a Secretive mood, so I guess he'd have been a legendary craftsman.  Is this normal or a bug?) I'd have to train up, although by that time I'd have hit the pop cap and could start using my females.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:33:46 am by byrnsey »

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 02:40:17 pm »

Baby population caps dont require raw editting.   It's one of the ini settings.  See previous post on how the settings in d_init work.

I've tweaked my worldgen settings to make oceans almost non-existant, and rivers quite rare... and fisherdwarves are definately not common in my immigrant population.  I've gotten several great weaponsmiths and armorsmiths, in the "useful" pile.  Farmers (of any sort) are rare though, let alone the useful farming skills.
Pages: 1 2 [3]