Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So it seems that the upkeep requirements for sentient 'pets' have changed in .07  (Read 8527 times)

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On a whim, I modded the animal-person template to give all animalfolk the [pet] tag. I was expecting them to act like regular animals, or perhaps like tigermen used to. Instead, I got a bit of a surprise with my trained wrenfolk and bushtitfolk:

* They can be butchered, but the products won't be eaten, tanned, or even hauled, despite the fact that there are entries in the stockpile interface for them. The products also don't show up on the z-kitchen list and don't show up under 'meat' in the trading interface (haven't checked whether they turn up on search). I don't have a bonecrafting industry set up, but I expect that the bones won't be used for that, either. Eggs appear to be hauled as usual, though.

* They can be assigned to both pastures and burrows. I've confirmed that they respect burrow assignments; I believe that they respect pasture assignments, but I'm not sure what happens when they're assigned to both at the same time - their current assignment is an overlapping burrow and training-enabled pasture, just to be safe.

* They get thirsty, and will seek out water when they are. I suspect that they follow the same rules that dwarves do regarding thirst and burrows - I had a thirsty wren man in a burrow with a stagnant pool, and he declined to drink from it. I removed him from the burrow, and he went to the non-stagnant lake I'm embarked on and drank from the edge of that. I haven't checked on whether they'll use a well or not, and haven't tested whether they'll break their burrow or pasture assignments to drink.

* They get hungry, and seek out food. I've seen one (a wren) eat a fish-based roast. They appear to be able to take food from barrels.

* They get tired, and sleep. So far, they're sleeping on the ground in their area; I'm still putting rooms together for my dwarves but will be giving them some beds soon. It won't surprise me much if they can have rooms assigned to them.

* I think I saw one removing some construction - at least, he was in the right spot for it at the right time, even though it was well outside the burrow area and not someplace he would have been as a matter of course.

I've never kept tigermen, so I suppose I could be wrong about this being mostly new behavior, but I'm pretty sure tigerfolk care instructions were 'make sure they have water they can stand in to drink, and you're golden', and that's not what I'm seeing here at all.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

I think it's pretty much the same from what I read on this previously. You'd need to edit the raws a bit to allow the eating of sentients if you want to use them as meat source.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile

Keep them away from social situations with your dwarves (basically just keep them out of the meeting area) unless you want bushtit people as elected officials.

Dish It Out!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Keep them away from social situations with your dwarves (basically just keep them out of the meeting area) unless you want bushtit people as elected officials.

I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it's pretty much the same from what I read on this previously. You'd need to edit the raws a bit to allow the eating of sentients if you want to use them as meat source.

The ethics prohibitions generally apply to butchering; I've never heard of being able to butcher something but not being able to eat it before, and in fact I've heard people predict the opposite of what I'm experiencing - the prediction being that if you manage to butcher something, you'll be able to eat it regardless of ethics issues.

I think that'd be pretty awesome, actually.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

I remember people talking about crundle mayors in 31.xx, sounds like fun
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I LOL'd and then stole it for my sig.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Will vampires feed on them if they sleep?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile

Vampires feed on animals too btw.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

Has anyone else noticed the bug that in a vanilla game, you can order barrels of animal person blood from the dwarven caravan, and that humans sometimes have animal person leather or meat in their shops?

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has anyone else noticed the bug that in a vanilla game, you can order barrels of animal person blood from the dwarven caravan, and that humans sometimes have animal person leather or meat in their shops?

I have 3 barrels of tigerman blood, just in case I need it.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really have to question when barrels of nothing but blood could ever be useful.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

PoodleIncident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

BL OD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

ddonohu2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

This sounds similar to the requirements for pet animalpeople in previous versions.  They need to eat food, and certain creatures (including tigermen) have a behavior tag that forces them to only eat meat.  They need to drink water (not booze) and will only drink it from a valid water source zone - they won't use a well.  Previously, you could designate them for slaughtering, but your dwarves would never actually slaughter them.  They need to sleep, but as far as I've seen they can't be assigned rooms and don't bother with beds anyway.  They won't do any useful job, or at least they wouldn't in older versions.  I'd like to see more testing and confirmation as to if that has changed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: [1] 2