Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Vector art project - 1 hour a day  (Read 14310 times)

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vector art project - 1 hour a day
« on: April 20, 2012, 02:40:09 am »

Started some work for some 2d layout of a few fleets before I push them into 3d. Let me know what you think.

The rest of the ideas..

Hoping to make a bunch more then get one or two races made into 3d with Blender
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:49:58 pm by Abregado »

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector ships concept art
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 03:22:30 am »

I think you should check this out:
http://www.blendernation.com/2011/09/14/model-download-shipyard-v0-7/

It looks like the same concept a you are doing =)

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 04:48:56 am »

Yeah similar i guess. They seem to have pretty high poly stuff.

The plan will be to end up with low poly (3-700 tri) models for 2 races. Each race should have a particular style. But instead of just going ahead and making 3d models i'll prototype them in Illustrator like this first.

Thanks for the link ill download it and see what module ideas they had. Might make good inspiration.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 08:33:46 am »

I saw the title of this thread and thought Vector had come back and was imagining relationships between prototypes of characters. Then I realised that was ridiculous.

As it is, it's a wee bit hard to make out the ships from the white background. Maybe a darker grey? What I can see looks fairly promising.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 03:10:41 pm »

I saw the title of this thread and thought Vector had come back and was imagining relationships between prototypes of characters. Then I realised that was ridiculous.

Me too.  (que irrational sadness for a forum member I didn't even converse once with)

I like the crystalline group the best. The ones made out of ovals are... weird.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 03:22:27 pm »

I also thought Vector had returned and was now into spaceship art.

Suggestion: Your designs would be much better if you took influence from the Mongols. Just look at their cultural style.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 03:34:54 pm »

Syreen Penetrator...

Chmmr X-form...

Shofixti Scout...

Those are the only ones I can identify. I think you should add an Ilrwath ship.

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 08:09:17 pm »

Syreen Penetrator...
Chmmr X-form...
Shofixti Scout...
What are those from? Ive never heard of those races but enjoy a good bit of artistic research

I saw the title of this thread and thought Vector had come back
Anyone got a link to this persons art? I've never heard of this fabled character and I've been lurking in bay12 for years!

As it is, it's a wee bit hard to make out the ships from the white background. Maybe a darker grey?
Yeah I was thinking that. Need to find a good prototyping scheme. Illustrator has a slightly darker grey on the artboard so i didn't notice until I exported them to .png

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 10:55:30 pm »

Syreen Penetrator...
Chmmr X-form...
Shofixti Scout...
What are those from? Ive never heard of those races but enjoy a good bit of artistic research

Star Control 2, *camper*!!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 11:06:32 pm »

Syreen Penetrator...
Chmmr X-form...
Shofixti Scout...

Star Control 2, *camper*!!
Don't be a *sad puppy*. We *campers* love visitors in our *happy town*. Anyone that doesn't like us make us feel *frumple*, and they're none more than *silly cows*. We don't like *dancing* with them. Starcon 2 (available as freeware these days) is a *level* unlike any other. Don't use spoilers if it's your first time playing, however; Doing so will make you a *sad puppy*, and joining our *party* will be more difficult.

Which reminds me, I gotta play that game again. Made me feel *squishy*, and like a *happy camper*.

EDIT:
And I was thinking the same thing about those too. The first set definitely look Syreen in nature.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 12:08:50 am by Itnetlolor »

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 01:54:54 am »

oh yes, i have played Star Control 2 but never the adventure mode, as much as it gets talked about within my friends group... Even tho im old enough to have been involved with it, it slipped past somehow. Its probably why I dont recognise the race names, but i do remember the ships.

Yes.. *blush* I had to have a go at the ubiquitous cockships. I mean, who doesnt want a full length spinal mount cylindrical heatsink(read: lovesink)?

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 02:15:32 am »

Other than the one in the top picture, right top side with the small protrusion sticking from the side to line up with the front of the ship, I like all of the ships. I think you might be able to do something like a Homeworld-esque game and have the ships running around. Zoom out on the camera and instead of having uber small 3D images you have visible 2D representations of the ships. Galactic Civilizations does this, made by Stardock, and so does Sins of a Solar Empire, made by Ironsomethingorother. I think it is also prevalent in Supreme Commander. If you can get some 3D models going I would like to give a short critique on them and make suggestions if you are up to it. I enjoy Blender, though I am not very good, and can possibly help a little when it comes to making a nice looking ship design that is both practical for the race and to its use.

GalenEvil
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 02:29:19 am »

If you can get some 3D models going I would like to give a short critique on them and make suggestions if you are up to it.
3d isnt going to come along just yet. Ive set myself a task to complete minimum 1 hour of art per day for 2 weeks, just to get my brain used to doing art again. All of this will be 2d (sketches and vector art). Then ill work on the smaller craft, probably 300 tris roughly, minimal texturing, and work up to the larger ships 700-1000 tris.

I'll keep posting for critique.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 03:19:30 am »

Awesomes... since I posted I'll keep updated with proceedings so let me know if you want any help with designs... sometimes I am quite skilled at making minimalist things though most of the time it blows up in my face :P

GalenEvil
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 03:59:06 am »

There's a signature function built into the forum, and you seem to be able to use that. Just put your username there...?
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4