Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Witty Webcomic  (Read 1895 times)

judegraves7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Witty Webcomic
« on: February 19, 2012, 05:45:11 pm »

Have you ever wondered what the dungeon looks like from the eyes of the evil demon who makes his home there? Me neither. But when I found True Villains, I got that perspective. Spanning several years and three great artists (with a few filler artists), True Villains tells the story of an ex-adventurer who joins forces with the dungeon-dwelling demon he had set out to defeat. Written by Joshua Kurtz and Madison Hughes, this webcomic blends hilarity, action, and great character development in a glorious taco-salad of entertainment.

http://www.truevillains.com/

Oh, and did I mention there's a musical?

http://www.truevillainsmusical.com/

If you could check it out, it updates every Tuesday and Friday. Let me know what you think of it! Also, I'd be interested in getting someone to build Xaneth's dungeon within Dwarf Fortress. Be sure to use lots of caged elves.  ;)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Witty Webcomic
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 06:42:29 pm »

Let me know what you think of it!

I made it as far as the the paladin. The characters are unmemorable and the narrative is occassionally difficult to follow. It is neither witty nor funny, and not very entertaining at all.

judegraves7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:32:40 pm »

Granted, the beginning is somewhat slow, but the same is true of "The Lord of the Rings." It does pick up the pace after the paladin's assault is finished.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:21:58 am »

I didn't actually go back to the beginning because the art style has improved immensely since then. What I saw was cool.

judegraves7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 04:44:01 pm »

Yeah, Max (the current artist) has plans to redraw the beginning of the comic. Thing is, his own style has changed since this time last year. Compare the recent panels with this http://www.truevillains.com/comic-2011-02-18-Secret%20Weapon-jpg.htm

The first artist (Maddie) has retired to the position of co-writer, and the second artist (Stephanie) mostly just returns for full-color panels. I'm glad you (NobodyPro) liked it, and I'm glad LordBucket gave it a try. If you could tell your friends about it, I'd be most grateful.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 01:53:00 am »

This is poo.

The writing is crap. The characters are ill define. The jokes (I think their jokes) are poorly set up and delivered.

I'm reading from the start, and the art is terribly bad... it's pretty constantly bad though. So, yea... but everyone is like Gumby, and it doesnt seem to really understand how to use or implement it's anime expression exaggeration. It can't even play the words into the text bubbles very well.

It shows off that low barrier of entry for web comics.

The art does look better for the more recent works, but it seems to be using the same character and it seems to be closer to a serial serieces over episodic, so I'm assuming, probably overly so, that the past matter to the comic.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

judegraves7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:57:35 pm »

The new artist is in the process of redrawing the earlier parts of the story. The writer was still in high school when he began it, and I've talked to him about re-writing the beginning. So yeah, it is poo, but work is being done to metaphorically turn this poo into a UNESCO poo-processing plant to extract valuable methane fuel from the poo.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 05:10:46 am »

I will give it a shot over the next few days. I should be able to read through most if not all of the pages from beginning to end during that time. When that time is over I will rend unto you mortals my judgement!!! DUN DUN DUN!!! >.>
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

judegraves7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 11:20:28 pm »

Don't start from the beginning, start with Saga 4. The beginning is being re-done.