Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Vector art project - 1 hour a day  (Read 14301 times)

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector ships concept art
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 03:28:07 am »

Next instalment

Trying out some ideas with cutouts and floating sections... Does it remind anyone of anything?

EDIT: Also need to find a good color combo for showing silhouettes.. black/white seems to harsh, but the two greys i've chosen seem too similar....
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:30:07 am by Abregado »

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 06:54:38 am »

Higher res. 85% and 30% seem to be a good combo.. the shields look good even tho they are easy to throw on in photoshop

EDIT: A close up with some basic shading and using different grey% on the building blocks...

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 07:15:28 am by Abregado »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 11:48:44 am »

Ooooh, I like the last batch, just the right contrast and it isn't eye-jabbingly strong.

Have you thought about doing sidewiews?

They should help give a better idea of how the ships look, and they can't hurt if you plan to make them into 3d eventually.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 12:05:16 pm »

Aaand a Chenjesu Broodhome. :P

Okay, I'm done. Pretty good work though, you got some decent looking designs so far. An angle other than top down would be nice though, as has been mentioned.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 06:33:14 pm »

The shading on that last one looks pretty good, but you may want to give it some extra shading from the engine flames as well.

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 06:47:37 pm »

Aaand a Chenjesu Broodhome.
AWWWWW comon! Just because it has octagons?! :P

Admittedly, SC2 must have used a similar art development methodology. Make a race for each geometrical shape...http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/List_of_ships

The shading on that last one looks pretty good, but you may want to give it some extra shading from the engine flames as well.
Yeah I put some on the trail itself but no coloured shading on the ship. I had already run into overtime on my 1 hour of allocated time. Next ones ill spend more time in photoshop.

edited as I actually counted the number of sides in the shapes
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 06:52:18 pm by Abregado »

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 04:21:39 am »

Next hour done. I imagine they have some superfriction surfaces for "swimming" through space. I'm guessing, like most creatures the soft tissue is for doing work while the hard tissue is for protection... I get this image of bio-ships fattening up before entering FTL and then emerging anorexic.

NB4 - Tyranids, Vorlons, Zerg, Mycon :P

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 09:30:02 pm »

Pretty cool! Having the different colors next to or on top of each other makes it feel like a different art style, less symbolic and more realistic. perhaps the realism of the alien swarm contrasts their pragmatism against the hopeful or scrupulous ideology of the other races.

But, I feel like I've seen the ship on the left somewhere before. Oh yeah!

...it's a deformed sperm cell.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 09:39:08 pm »

I guess that a bio-tech race not having strong tech-eugenics would be very bad for the race as a whole... kinda like us and capitalism... hmm.

Something to think about. We kinda suck at doing things for the betterment of our own race. What would alien races do that would look stupid to us?

I really want to have visible style differences between races, even when this is not realistic. I would love for someone to notice "race X has stolen/traded engine tech from race Y". As with my asymmetrical race in the first post has clearly taken engine tech from the tech traders.

Today I'm doing ship modules.

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 09:57:08 pm »

Just these six took me the whole hour! Heyzues!

Still look fine in a smaller res.

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 05:34:52 am »

After the failed module attempt I decided I need to work on details more. Probably need to practice using different line thicknesses in Illustrator to create depth

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 07:26:46 am »

Whats going on up there with the arrows? Is that bit supposed to be flat, and are they supposed to extend past the edge?

Also its like looking at one of those cubes with the impossible angles that makes your brain go wtf. :P

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 08:12:54 am »

Agreed, the blue bit was just attached to the rest at the end of the hour, so i left it there. Amazing that I did so little in this hour, compared to the others!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 08:18:58 am »

The thing in the bottom right of the image looks neat, but it looks likes its resting on and otherwise extending into a flat paper ship.

And none of the possible 3d representations of how it could look make any sense at all.

but the details are nice!

Where did you stick your vanishing points for that one, by the way? I can't make it out. Is it supposed to be coming off the other thing (as the front indicates) or laying against it (as the back indicates)? Or both?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:20:46 am by GlyphGryph »

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 08:25:37 am »

I didnt intent to create any perspective, it just came out that way. Most of my stuff so far is plan view, and this was supposed to be no exception. The flat looking parts just didnt get any details, and i think its causing a vewpoint issue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4