Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Vector art project - 1 hour a day  (Read 14312 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector art project - 1 hour a day
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2012, 06:14:30 am »

Dropping the outset back end completely was a good idea, I think.

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2012, 06:11:42 am »

I didnt like the reference gun really, but it was more interesting than a stock Beretta pic i had. In hindsight it was not the best choice.

Interestingly, when you remove the grip part, it looks like a sweet spacecraft facing to the right. :D

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012, 12:11:19 am »

Today and yesterdays art hours.

Started using Illustrator in a "pixel perfect" mode. Drew the smaller scale then scaled it 200% and started to add detail. Various reference material used for each part but the overall design just evolved as I was drawing.

again, feedback welcome

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2012, 12:18:24 am »

Very, very cool. Though there's something... disturbing about it. Almost inappropriate...

I like it.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2012, 12:20:15 am »

The hairy-looking balls are creeping me out. <_<

Beside that, everything looks good!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

TheDecline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2012, 02:04:31 am »

Very cool, Its inspiring to see art like this just wish i wasent sooo lazy and do some myself.
And so we go on with our lives
we know the turth, but prefer lies
lies are simple....simple is bliss

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2012, 02:34:59 am »

Its inspiring to see art like this just wish i wasent sooo lazy and do some myself.
Thanks, These latest pics were done in an hour each. I've only spent about 10 hours total in Illustrator actually drawing. Try the challenge yourself for an hour a day, and I can guarantee results in a week...

Or just buy my book for $39.95 (plus P&H).

8)

TheDecline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2012, 05:13:28 am »

I dont have issues with drawing as such ( but i dont class myself as any good) , its focusing on a perticular subject or media......

Actually i read an article somewhere about why certain people cant draw and its to do with the way people percieve distance and objects around them apprently.

Personally I Blame it on my short attenti...... oh look a sweet!
And so we go on with our lives
we know the turth, but prefer lies
lies are simple....simple is bliss

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2012, 07:26:23 am »

Seriously, these are the things that were stopping me from doing it. I am that guy who always has 100 projects on the go, and always looking to start more but never finishing any of them... My first project was finished last year. I turn 30 this year and it was the only thing I ever completed.

I have always had trouble drawing in perspective and 3d. Also I failed my drawing class at uni because my teacher issued a task where we had to draw WITHOUT LINES. Just shaded areas mashed together to make a picture. COULD NOT DO!

Some good tips I've been operating by:
A little a day is better than a lot once a week
Stop BEFORE you have had enough
Set extreme short term goals, as well as the regular short and long term ones.

Seems to be helping so far.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2012, 03:15:17 pm »

Seriously, these are the things that were stopping me from doing it. I am that guy who always has 100 projects on the go, and always looking to start more but never finishing any of them... My first project was finished last year. I turn 30 this year and it was the only thing I ever completed.

I have always had trouble drawing in perspective and 3d. Also I failed my drawing class at uni because my teacher issued a task where we had to draw WITHOUT LINES. Just shaded areas mashed together to make a picture. COULD NOT DO!

Some good tips I've been operating by:
A little a day is better than a lot once a week
Stop BEFORE you have had enough
Set extreme short term goals, as well as the regular short and long term ones.

Seems to be helping so far.

Aye. The only time I've worked in 3D was in mid-high school, and my teacher loved it. Not that it made any sense... The perspectives were totally out-of-sync, and they more resembled a Lovecraftian 4d-5D object than a coherent 3D shape. That miiiight have to do with my skewed depth-perception due to my shitty eyesight though. :P

I've always had the same issue. I paint, I sketch, I write poetry, I'm working on a novel, I write lyrics for myself and a friend's band, I play guitar, I play piano, I sing, but I'm always jumping from one thing to the next and rarely ever finish anything. :P

I think the only major project I ever finished was a symmetry design I created in MS Paint when I was in high school, literally 1 pixel at a time in maximum zoom.

I don't have the finished version on this computer but I think I have an older version somewhere, hold on...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It took me about a year to get that far. 1-3 hours a day, 5-7 days a week. I'm pretty sure I spent the entirety of my Health and Spanish II classes working on that <_< Ahora yo se porque yo no hablo mucho Espanol... XD
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2012, 03:42:58 pm »

As a symmetry project, tell me that you at least only did one fourth and folded the other components... :P

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2012, 03:49:17 pm »

As a symmetry project, tell me that you at least only did one fourth and folded the other components... :P

Well there's 4 different modes of symmetry. The actual name being Chaotic Origins; Asymmetry... :P

And yes, I reflected components to save time, though the amount of time I spent fixing errors and editing more than made up for that, lmao.

There's different reflected parts, and later on I purposely changed certain aspects as a game to see if my friends would notice what is and isn't actually reflected.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2012, 03:50:26 pm »

I started with a 5x5 pixel box and it just went from there. I never planned for it to be this big, but every passing month I found it becoming more and more massive. <_<

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2012, 07:42:38 pm »

that, my good sir, is epic MSpaintwork.
Should just move a few pixels around to make it no longer 100% perfect. Would probably make for mindrape...

I was having an inspiration block, so I invited my house-mate (sci-fi book devourer) to be a "director" while I designed a new ship. He was allowed to suggest things, and had veto power to remove any parts he didn't like(almost total control). Was really good to end up with something that was not at all of my design, but was still my artwork. He was also impressed with the result as he considers himself to have less than zero artistic capabilities.

The first ship we made and a turret. Next task will be to detail this like the engine

A larger one we started to go with the turret

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2012, 07:57:17 am »

Started the detail on the cruiser. Started with the guns of course! Most of the hour was taken prepping the rest of the drawing. Only spent about 20 minutes actually detailing the gun. I'll be working on this until its done or I'm bored of it, so I wont upload the progress until the end.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]