Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 58

Author Topic: Day Z  (Read 218074 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Day Z -A Zombie mod for Arma 2
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 12:57:14 pm »

Do i need a legal version of Operation Arrowhead for this? I only have Arma II...
The website says you need CO, which is both ARMA2 and Operation Arrowhead.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 04:37:21 pm »

This mod looks awesome but the limited information raises so many questions. Will it work in single player? How hard is it to set up a multiplayer server for it? What is the chance of a Bay 12 server? Has anyone actually tried it with just Operation Arrowhead?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 05:44:10 pm »

Wild guess the mod use dependencies included only in ARMA 2, model? gun? who knows. Again its a wild guess.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 06:03:03 pm »

It outright says it takes place in Chernarus. So it needs Arma 2 AND OA combined. So there's probally no way to get it working with just Arrowhead and it would be lacking the extra scripting commands that Arrowhead adds if you just have Arma 2.

Combined Operations works a ton better than stock arma 2 as is, so there's no reason not to have it if you like the game.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 08:55:13 pm »

This looks super cool, I'll be trying it out later tonight.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 09:06:29 pm »

I tried it out, had fun. I found a crossbow and some other goodies in a group of barns at a farm, and then derped off into the woods as the sun set.
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 01:13:07 am »

just arma 2 throws out errors,
just arrowhead throws errors too.

so both are needed, got it working now with arma 2 installed from dvd and arrowhead from steam... steam seems to notice the arma2 vanilla installation and gives the option to start combined operations when i launch arrowhead.

so works with steam too... create the folders like in the instructions where its installed in steam (steam/steamapps etc) and put the the
-nosplash -mod=@dayz;
in the steam game preferences/launch options and select combined operations launch then.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 02:12:03 am »

so works with steam too... create the folders like in the instructions where its installed in steam (steam/steamapps etc) and put the the
-nosplash -mod=@dayz;
in the steam game preferences/launch options and select combined operations launch then.

I put this in the instructions, I hope you don't mind. If you do just tell me and I'll remove it.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 09:21:29 am »

This looks pretty awesome, might finally get Arma 2 for this. Also, just want to point out, the lets-play series linked to in the OP, is really great. If anyone missed it-

First Video
Second Video
Third Video
Fourth Video

Its a large group of dudes who all have teamspeak and work together (mostly) and it's really well edited, so all you get is amazing hilarity, action, or suspense. There wasn't a minute I was bored.
The videos are a good way to see if you'd like the mod, and even if you don't plan to play this mod or even this game, they are very entertaining.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 09:33:58 am »

My main problem with this game is that it uses realtime. I know it's for realism - as people keep on telling me when I complain about it - and whatnot, but it simply doesn't work with a computer game. If I am only allowed to play in the night, then it's only night all the time for me, which gets tedious. I know there are several servers in different locations, but there are times where all the servers are night.

Also I won't have the chance to see day coming to night, then coming to day. If we could have faster progression of time, I have a real sense of hurrying up to gather items and quickly find a safe place for the night. Right now I can just gather things with my own sweet time and just log out when it's night.

This game isn't as packed and fast-paced as Project Zomboid or games like that, so the day-night progression should be relatively slow, but realtime is dumb. Sure, the loot, zombies, and buildings may all be spaced out and such, but we can sprint forever, cutting the time travelled significantly, unlike real life where we have to rest and stuff.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:40:02 am by justinlee999 »

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 09:55:05 am »

... Considering there are servers in what I assume to be on both US coasts, Europe, France, Russia, Australia and New Zealand, you will not have a point where all servers are pitch black.

Chasing daylight seems pretty cheap, though.

There are a few of us who play it. We've had some amazing close shaves, like ducking behind a grassy verge by the road as two other players wander down and chat in direct. No contact whatsoever, but you always play it safe...

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 09:56:57 am »

... Considering there are servers in what I assume to be on both US coasts, Europe, France, Russia, Australia and New Zealand, you will not have a point where all servers are pitch black.

Chasing daylight seems pretty cheap, though.

There are a few of us who play it. We've had some amazing close shaves, like ducking behind a grassy verge by the road as two other players wander down and chat in direct. No contact whatsoever, but you always play it safe...
Well I guess there was a bug today, European servers were out of sync.

Anyway the NZ servers are usually full when it's daytime there.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 10:11:07 am »

I followed the directions to the letter, but when I connect to the server I get disconnected because it says the mod depends on deleted dayz(and then lists several of the files. Obviously I have not deleted the files and they exist in the proper folders.

I am stumped.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 01:21:27 pm »

-nosplash -mod=@dayz;

I put this in the instructions, I hope you don't mind. If you do just tell me and I'll remove it.
Code: [Select]
-World=Empty -nosplash -mod=@dayz
This will make the game load up quicker, since instead of having to load in an island for the menu, it just loads a blank ocean.
You may also create a non-steam shortcut to the ARMA2OA.exe and run it through that if you wish to be able to use a non-steam version with the steam overlay, or for it you want multiple shortcuts for different mods. If you do, the path should look something like this:
Code: [Select]
"K:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\arma2oa.exe" -World=Empty -nosplash -mod=@DayZassuming you're not using the beta patch

My main problem with this game is that it uses realtime. I know it's for realism - as people keep on telling me when I complain about it - and whatnot, but it simply doesn't work with a computer game. If I am only allowed to play in the night, then it's only night all the time for me, which gets tedious. I know there are several servers in different locations, but there are times where all the servers are night.

Also I won't have the chance to see day coming to night, then coming to day. If we could have faster progression of time, I have a real sense of hurrying up to gather items and quickly find a safe place for the night. Right now I can just gather things with my own sweet time and just log out when it's night.

This game isn't as packed and fast-paced as Project Zomboid or games like that, so the day-night progression should be relatively slow, but realtime is dumb. Sure, the loot, zombies, and buildings may all be spaced out and such, but we can sprint forever, cutting the time travelled significantly, unlike real life where we have to rest and stuff.
There are scripts and commands which accelerate time, though I don't know if DayZ uses them since I haven't played yet. You can have days that last half an hour if you want. You can even make days only last a minute, though I haven't tried that yet, would probably look freaky or lag.

I followed the directions to the letter, but when I connect to the server I get disconnected because it says the mod depends on deleted dayz(and then lists several of the files. Obviously I have not deleted the files and they exist in the proper folders.

I am stumped.
Are you running the game through steam? What does your launch path look like?
When you're at the main menu, on the right side of the screen it should say what mods your running. Make sure @DayZ is appearing in the list.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 01:33:29 pm »

I had this working last night and enjoyed it (though it was very dark), but I kept getting errors when trying to join today and somehow completely broke my installation while trying to fix them. Oops.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 58