Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 58

Author Topic: Day Z  (Read 217858 times)

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Day Z - A Zombie mod for Arma 2
« Reply #585 on: June 24, 2012, 05:46:22 am »

I love that you have to reload your hatchet first and then it's good for 10,000 swings. I wouldn't have the first clue where to go to find morphine, and havent laid my hands on a single firearm since I got into the game. Plenty of Ammo though, no weapons. No idea how to find the fabled deer shacks either.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 24, 2012, 07:27:55 am »

Here are some maps. If you're looking for deerstands you want to head away from the big cities.

Also I'm pretty sure the loot tables are buggared at the moment. I had three lives last night where I found noting but tin cans and fire axes. Like Barns with 6 fireaxes in. Must've searched 10 buildings in a row and all I found was fire axes.

And I'd agree that it seems way to easy to break your bones, I'm pretty sure Rocket increased the chances of it happening in one of the 1.7.1 patches. If you're looking for morphine your best bet is probobly finding one of the hospitals... but generally speaking if you have a broken leg and don't have any on you you're probobly best just suiciding.

And the hatchet works like that because as far as the games concerned it's basically a really short range gun. It's also why it makes bullet noises and you see gunsmoke when you swing it. :P

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 25, 2012, 04:32:00 am »

This mod, and the emergent gameplay it involves, is incredible. I just spent the better part of 20 minutes trapsing up and down a secluded wood path in dayz trying to find the gun I dropped accidentally. It's 2 in the morning, pitch black, I can hear zombies in the distance and I need to use a flashlight to find it, broadcasting my position to anyone in the area. I have literally no other weapon and I'm far too close to Novy Sobor for comfort. I eventually found it by the roadside, picked it up, ran my ass out of there because I was starting to hear funny noises and quit from sheer exhaustion.
It was the most terrifying, intense and gratifying thing I think I've ever done in a game.

e: just figured out where I was on the map: Pop Ivan. The noises must've been coming from Vyshnoye, I guess I was straying too close. Jesus, it's freaky to know that they were that close. Couldn't see a thing in the dark.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 04:37:20 am by Jackrabbit »

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 26, 2012, 01:00:52 pm »

God, this mod should really be listed as more of a horror game than zombie simulation.
On my most recent character I had just found a Winchester and a ton of ammo, but was thoroughly lost. Having got more confident through playing it I was looting a village, carefully creeping through, getting more and more nervous. Then I got careless. I ran inside a barn and a zombie heard me, forcing me to shoot in the crowded village. Luckily the zombies slowed as they came in, making them easy to pick off without getting injured. However, shortly after this incident, as I was sneaking towards the church in the centre of the town I heard a gunshot.
My first thought was: "Idiot." By shooting from what sounded like the middle of the town they were endangering both of our lives. But as more zombies sprinted past and the firing of quite a high calibre weapon got more frantic, I began to feel scared for the survivor. Sneaking towards the edge of the wall I was cowering against I could clearly hear the gunfire was coming from the very church I had been heading for. Then, just as yet another zombie ran past, the shots stopped. I froze. Waiting for the fire to resume when the survivor had reloaded. And I waited. And waited.
Deciding that maybe he had killed all of the things, I edged around the wall and peeked in to the church, only to see about five zombies crouched over a body.
Now, while in any other game I'd be happy and go to loot his corpse, this merely shook me and made me leave instantly, but I don't know whether it was in respect for the fighter or because it made me realise how easily death could come in that game.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 26, 2012, 01:08:37 pm »

Luckily the zombies slowed as they came in, making them easy to pick off without getting injured.

Zombies have to walk indoors. Basically if you get too many of them on you, run inside a building. If it has two entrances you can easily lose the zombies as they'll be slowly walking through while you sneak out the back.

I was playing the other night and found my first vehicle, a tractor. Got it all repaired up except for the engine, so I drove to a petty station and filled it up with a single jerry can. Then I drove off towards a nearby factory complex. Going was slow, since I was going through the woods for safety and if your engine is red any slight bump will probobly explode the vehicle.

When I finally made it to the factory complex I parket my tractor in a forest on a nearby hill, so it was hidden from the road and factory, snuck inside and searched around for a bit. Eventually I had to go upstairs, but the inside stairwell was fenced off with barbed wire. Sneaking out the back I caught some aggro and had to shoot a couple of zombies. After a few minutes I hear two really loud explosions come from the direction my tractor was parked in.

I basically dropped everything and made my way there as quickly as I could. Tractor was nowhere to be seen. After a few minutes searching around I found it at the bottom of the hill, wrecked. There was a survivor corpse lying dead next to it. He must've heard me shooting, snuck up and noticed my tractor, got in it and drove about 5 feet before hitting a tree and exploding it. He didn't even have any loot on him, so he must've just spawned and made his way inland.

RIP tractor. :(

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 26, 2012, 03:23:25 pm »

God, this mod should really be listed as more of a horror game than zombie simulation.

It's not so much a zombie simulation as it is a social experiment.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 26, 2012, 03:27:25 pm »

How so?

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 26, 2012, 03:37:35 pm »

There's a really good PCGamer article about an interview they had with Rocket.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/22/day-z-arma-3-interview-on-left-4-dead-skyrim-player-emotion-and-in-game-disease/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

It's pretty lengthy but there are some good details in there about what direction Rocket wants to take the game in.
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 26, 2012, 07:56:09 pm »

I don't think it was intended to be. It's a zombie simulator that became a social experiment and then Rocket was all "let's experiment the shit out of this socialness" and here we are. The infection update's a good example of that. He added it in to see what happened and the Corrupted Blood Incident happened all over again. Except people caught the sniffles instead of dying horribly but you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:59:48 pm by Jackrabbit »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 26, 2012, 08:40:53 pm »

Wouldnt a good zombie sim also be a social experiment? The most interesting part of the zombie apocalypse setting is the mistrust and backstabbing among survivors.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 26, 2012, 08:58:52 pm »

Wouldnt a good zombie sim also be a social experiment? The most interesting part of the zombie apocalypse setting is the mistrust and backstabbing among survivors.

Just because something is socially dynamic doesn't mean it's a social experiment.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 26, 2012, 09:27:04 pm »

Socially dynamic, that's a good word for it. On a slightly related note Cherno is just the most nervewracking place. In the two respawns I've had since the 'no-weapon-on-spawn' update I've been lucky enough to spawn outside of it twice, which is great because I have no fear of death and desperately need the weapons Cherno seems to spawn like candy, but also terrifying because fuck, it's Cherno. Today I got an M1911 and 10 clips but holy shit am I lucky to be alive. Met a player who was really kind and gave me spaghetti and pointed me towards the fire station before heading off to Elektro. Ran into two other players, one of whom asked to team up with me and the other I quickly lost sight of. I probably should have tried to keep in mind where he was because we received sporadic automatic weapons fire at one stage and bolted through town with our tails between our legs.
After that we ran around for a bit, I found my M1911 and we headed towards the fire station only to see someone had blocked off the door. Seconds after running up to it and realizing this I hear a silenced MP5 and some grunts of pain. I bolt in the opposite direction to my new friend, who is presumably fighting zombies in heaven right now. I feel bad for him but simultaneously glad they targeted him first.

Socially dynamic, that's what I'm going to call my assholery from now on.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:33:14 pm by Jackrabbit »

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 26, 2012, 09:51:02 pm »

I spawned slightly outside of cherno and started to run torwards anywhere but there when I heard the sound of a engine. I hid myself from the road behind a fence and watched the two people on the bus get out and raid the gas station.

I had no weapons but it was the first time I wanted to kill someone to take their stuff.

They drove away honking and attracted every zombie that I could see. If you ever get a vehicle running, trust no one.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 26, 2012, 10:24:37 pm »

I spawned slightly outside of cherno and started to run torwards anywhere but there when I heard the sound of a engine. I hid myself from the road behind a fence and watched the two people on the bus get out and raid the gas station.

I had no weapons but it was the first time I wanted to kill someone to take their stuff.

They drove away honking and attracted every zombie that I could see. If you ever get a vehicle running, trust no one.

The correct course of action in this situation is to run or sneak over and try and steal the bus, failing that just casually get on and demand to be taken on a sightseeing tour of Chernarus. :P

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 26, 2012, 10:30:08 pm »

This makes me want this game so bad.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 58