Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 58

Author Topic: Day Z  (Read 181772 times)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: Day Z - A Zombie mod for Arma 2
« Reply #615 on: June 27, 2012, 02:10:35 pm »

As much as I enjoy Day Z, "social experiment" is just a codeword for "I'm making shit up as I go along."

This is basically what I was getting at. It also carries the implication that no matter what happens you can't criticise because it's all an experiment so it's supposed to be that way!

Yeah he's talked about himself raging, he's glad he does, he says it shows he still cares. Rocket removed the starting weapon because it was an idea he had and he's trying it out, it's not concrete, and it's not because he thought it was too PVP centric.

Also, these are coming from his personal replies on the forums themselves, not what some gaming website has said, so I really don't think you have a clue about what you're going on about there then.

That'll be why he had anyone who ever ran a script in DayZ banned from playing Arma2 online then. Because he was so happy about it I guess? Maybe it's that he had a bit of a meltdown then after the fact tried so save face with "oh yeah totally what I wanted, I loved you guys really!"

Do you have any links to these replies, BTW? I'd honestly love to read them. I can't remember where I read that he took out the starting weapons to de-insentivise PVP, I'll have a look for it in a bit.

And I never said it was concrete, and that it isn't something he's just "trying out." But I know that he wiped all the tents a few patches ago specifically because people where building tent cities, yet he also talks in interviews how he hopes the game will one day be about rebuilding civilisation. And that he introduced the infection/disease mechanic because groups of players were congregating together (he might've been referring to specific groups of players?) and yet he claims the game is all about social interaction.

When did I say anything about him being happy with the rage- what?

Hold on, I'll try to find the thread.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 27, 2012, 02:11:32 pm »

What is an experiment? You do something to something else and record the reaction.

Criticism is one such reaction. It's perfectly fine to criticize things.

Is he following proper scientific method? Hell no, but that doesn't mean it's not an experiment.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 27, 2012, 02:26:38 pm »

Alright there WAS/ORHIDDEN thread that was something like ROCKET FAQ and it was a collection of a shitload of rocket's posts explaining these types of rulings and matters. I don't know if it's deleted or rocket deleted it, or something but I can't find it now, after searching whole forum a few times, and a few sections through 20 pages, even though that only takes you to two days ago, that's ridiculous.

So I guess you have me beat there now, but it was a question and then a link regarding Rocket's replies in some other thread that would give a statement of the question in the FAQ. Maybe my history. Yep.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8979

Originally the thread was titled "The rocket said... FAQ", it's now been edited to just this, which does have the infected people aren't the main threat post, but it's missing a lot of things that used to be there.

Unless it really was deleted and the thread numbers overtake. In which case it doesn't exist and this is just some other thread coincidentally having the same link.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:28:34 pm by Vherid »

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 27, 2012, 04:06:19 pm »

Yeah he's talked about himself raging, he's glad he does, he says it shows he still cares.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 27, 2012, 04:11:32 pm »

Yeah he's talked about himself raging, he's glad he does, he says it shows he still cares.

Right, which means that he's content that he rages, because getting mad is a sign of showing you care. What does this have to do with him being happy about people hacking his game?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 27, 2012, 04:48:18 pm »

Ah I guess I misinterpreted what you said then, though it's not a huge logical leap to go from
a) knowing he wants this game to be all about delicious tears and
b) he's happy when he gets really upset

... to the conclusion that he's happy when people make him upset. Especially when you posted that in response to a conversation where people were talking about this exact situation. My mistake though.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 27, 2012, 06:21:19 pm »

New patch:

* [FIXED] Infected hear perfectly through objects (noise reduced by 50% through an object)
* [FIXED] Animal bodies despawn way too fast (now despawn automatically after 2 minutes)
* [FIXED] Corrupted update data causes people to spawn in debug forest (now will not save corrupted position data)
* [FIXED] States where animal might stop walking around (now should walk around more)
* [FIXED] Animal AI routines consuming large amounts of FPS (now in line with Infected AI routines, reduced FPS usage)
* [NEW] Player Syncing system replaced (increased performance and ammo quantity tracking)
* [FIXED] Error reports are almost invisible (has now been fixed)
* [FIXED] Daylight calculations causing slight FPS issue
* [NEW] Visibility now smoothly alters based on sun, moon, cloud, rain, and fog state
* [NEW] Aubility now dampened in rain and increased by fog
* [FIXED] Object cleanup causing significant (huge) performance issue on servers (reduced by up to 50%, means more players + zombies possible)
* [FIXED] Use of "allMissionObjects" causing performance issue on clients (new engine command "entities" used to improve FPS on clients)
* [FIXED] Too easy to break legs due to infected (reduced probability of leg damage, reduced amount of leg damage)
* [FIXED] Inspection of dead bodies does not work (fix only applies with ArmA2 Beta 94033 and above)
* [NEW] Exponent driven probability introduced into visibility calculation
* [FIXED] Hatchet/Crowbar requires reloading ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/34903 )
* [FIXED] Unlimited Wire fence/Sandbag/Tank Trap Bug ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/34283 )
* [FIXED] Duplication Exploit on object pickup ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/34031 )
* [FIXED] Not full magazines disappear when you reconnect ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33998 )
* [NEW] Set Bear Traps that break player and infected legs, kills animals, when activated
* [NEW] Authentication process streamlined with new ArmA2 Beta commands (publicVariableServer and publicVariableClient)
* [NEW] Authentication for duplicate IDs supportive of the new beta patch (ArmAX users)

Also apparently the master server is either down or being hammered at the moment. Which is a shame because I wanted to trap me some bears survivors.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 27, 2012, 06:25:47 pm »

That looks like a pretty good patch, but I wouldn't be surprised the server is dead on a release.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 27, 2012, 06:44:36 pm »

I don't know why but I found the need to reload the melee weapons really endearing. Also, the crowbar is actually godawful. Why would anyone ever pick it up, ever?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 27, 2012, 06:45:13 pm »

Umm... I'm not finding any new patch anywhere... same ole 1.7.1.5 everywhere I look.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 27, 2012, 07:10:25 pm »

Man this game has gotten ALOT harder lately. I spawned somewhere outside Kutkoma or something, and ran inland. That is the best thing you can do. Raided a couple deer stands and managed to find a remington, and a knife. My plan is to go raid deer stands/city's until I have supplys to take on the NW airfield. Wish me luck.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 27, 2012, 07:41:16 pm »

Umm... I'm not finding any new patch anywhere... same ole 1.7.1.5 everywhere I look.

I think its because of the master server trouble? I dunno really tbh, not tried it myself.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 27, 2012, 08:18:03 pm »

It still says "Pending update" and since it didn't roll out monday, and it said backup was saturday, I wouldn't expect to see it until saturday at the earliest.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 27, 2012, 09:33:21 pm »

Ah fair enough, I read it was allready out. My bad.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 09, 2012, 03:59:40 pm »

1.7.2 is finally out. Apparently Rocket has been taking the last few weeks to move to a different country.

Be sure to read the instructions on the forums. It requires beta patch 94444.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 58