Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58

Author Topic: Day Z  (Read 217853 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Day Z
« Reply #825 on: February 25, 2013, 09:00:57 pm »

They need to hurry up and release this so I can play. Been wanting to play DayZ for months now, I just don't want to fuck with installing it as an Arma2 mod.
It's one of those mods that are incredibly easy to install. You can't possibly fuck it up.

When the mod first came out, it was an absolute pain in the ass to install. Everything had to be done manually, and ArmA is notorious for having crappy mod support. It's much, much easier now, considering steam and six-launcher can do it for you.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 26, 2013, 04:28:24 am »

They need to hurry up and release this so I can play. Been wanting to play DayZ for months now, I just don't want to fuck with installing it as an Arma2 mod.
It's one of those mods that are incredibly easy to install. You can't possibly fuck it up.

When the mod first came out, it was an absolute pain in the ass to install. Everything had to be done manually, and ArmA is notorious for having crappy mod support. It's much, much easier now, considering steam and six-launcher can do it for you.
What. No it wasn't. Even before Six-Launcher there were multiple mod launchers available. Sure, it was annoying to update mods on occasion but it was never that big of a deal.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: February 26, 2013, 11:15:30 am »

Am I the only one that doesn't use a launcher and installs my mod manually (and my beta patches manually cause for some reason it refuses to say the game is installed...)?
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 26, 2013, 04:26:20 pm »

Am I the only one that doesn't use a launcher and installs my mod manually (and my beta patches manually cause for some reason it refuses to say the game is installed...)?
I always install mod manually, this way i have more insight on file architecture and what i should modify if need arise.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #829 on: February 26, 2013, 09:20:20 pm »

DayZCommander is leagues and leagues better than SixLauncher.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: May 10, 2013, 10:04:26 am »

Necroing the thread because I do not want it to die and responding to the post above

It's so, SO much better. I though there was going to be some install sign up email bullshit - not at all. Simple install, and then you can download all the dayz mods with a click. Helped me very much.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: May 10, 2013, 10:34:20 am »

I've been eyeing this one up for a while, and recently got my soul eaten by Cataclysm: DDA. Just how good is this? I have never touched the ARMA franchise, but Day Z's success has my interest piqued.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: May 10, 2013, 10:47:47 am »

Right now, I can't really tell - the game servers are not what they were back in the day, when you only got a pistol, 3 mags, a can of beans and a soda. Right now, you get a compass, a machete, sometimes you get an entire goddamn inventory, map and gps included. It's the deal of finding the right server, I guess.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: May 10, 2013, 10:49:02 am »

I can only tell you how it was, back when i played.

Hackers were everywhere, at all times. I don't mean auto-aim or invincibility bullshit cries, that dominate competitive multiplayer, no.
I mean entire servers being teleported to a single spot, everyone dying suddenly, hacked, illegal items and many, many more.
225km2 of terrain, and you get found and murdered 10 seconds after logging in - in the wilderness - by the only other person on the server.

Following that you had people ghosting, alt+f4'ing and more, to gain advantage of the broken, garbage system that Arma runs on.

Zombie AI was utter garbage, and a day or two into playing the game, they were but an annoyance, and a potential radar against other players. Nothing else.

The anti-cheat system that the game used, was causing all sorts of issues, from compatibility problems, to multiple cases of thousands of auto-bans for script usage. Including, but not limited to, exiting a vehicle (script), turning your pistol flashlight on (script) being shot while piloting a helicopter.. And more. Followed by a day of apologies, and ban-reverts.

The entire survival concept goes out of the fucking window, as soon as you as much as look at a tent. They allowed you to stash gear, that respawns after each reset.

In between the hacker invasions, all major traffic points were hosting dozens of snipers. Sometimes people were using a helicopter on a clan server, to land on top of an otherwise unaccessible building, and then switched servers, to mow people down without being spotted.

..But on those rare, incredibly bloody rare occasions, that none of the above was true.. The incredible tension of incredibly big map with hostile players looking out for you. The incredible night battles. The insane feeling you get, when you hear shots fired (Things like FN-FAL could be heard from another dimension). The unbelievable opportunities and danger that vehicles brought. The sick cat and mouse games. The ghillie sniper duels. The full automatic silenced weapons inside zombie infested cities.

These were all amazing.

I've spent more than 10 hours playing the meanest son of a bitch imaginable. Placing bear traps and hunting people with broken legs. Sometimes i didn't kill them, but instead allowed zombies to eat them. Sometimes i just boxed them in between tank traps, after ensuring they have no weapons. Sometimes i drove over newbies with a bus. Sometimes i blew up half of the bloody city with satchels. Sometimes..

But too rare, and less frequent still, as the game went on.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:53:05 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: May 10, 2013, 12:22:19 pm »

If you want to have a good look at what game was like in early stages, go and watch jefmajor's let's play. He is one of the youtube LPers that I am not actually ashamed of on this forum.
Mind you, servers are different now, with people spawning in game with a lee-enfield or some crazy bullcocks.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: May 10, 2013, 12:28:39 pm »

If you want to have a good look at what game was like in early stages, go and watch jefmajor's let's play. He is one of the youtube LPers that I am not actually ashamed of on this forum.
Mind you, servers are different now, with people spawning in game with a lee-enfield or some crazy bullcocks.

From this and other comments, looks like I'll get back to daily versions of Cata. Oh well :)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: May 10, 2013, 04:32:09 pm »

Official Hive servers still have people start with nothing.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: May 10, 2013, 09:05:55 pm »

If people want me to set up my private hive, I can do so again. You start just like the official servers, with nothing, and nothing is modified afaik.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: May 12, 2013, 02:42:48 pm »

So I got this over the weekend....

Any tips for finding weapons, or gear in general? In 5 or so games I've found diddly squat. Every set of buildings I come across can't be entered. Is getting gear in DayZ mostly knowing about where it spawns, or are spawns semi-randomized or....?

Having fun, but I'm not finding anything of worth before I inevitably pick up some zeds. I'd rather just die and start somewhere else than spend the next hour running from zeds while looking for gear. Servers that start you with a melee weapon are slightly better, but only just.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: May 12, 2013, 03:29:31 pm »

Barns. Fucking barns. They are called high-value spots on the interactive maps for a reason - I found a Lee Enfield with a mag, 2 heatpacks, and a hatchet in the first one.
Also, best servers are those you start with nothing. I'm playing on this Moscow-hosted one - it gave me a flashlight, a bandage and painkillers. That's it, nothing else.
I fell in love in that server.
After about 10 minutes of walking around, I found a hatchet that can be used both to cut down wood to get a fireplace, and as a melee weapon. Need I say that every weapon 1-shots zombies, no matter where it hits?
If you're having problems running from zeds, try crouching. Pay attention to those visibility and noise indicators, try to keep vision under 4 and noise below 2. And keep heading north. Look at the signs. Scout the area before moving in. Learn russian alphabet. Kill people for beans. Check corpses.

... now I look at it, those tips are actually according to the game.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58