Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 58

Author Topic: Day Z  (Read 217841 times)

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
Day Z
« on: April 20, 2012, 05:19:02 pm »

"Welcome to Chernarus. A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.

Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive.

This is Day Z - This is your story."

Rather Awesome Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Q8c8jnL3s&feature=related

Day Z is a awesome Arma 2 mod I stumbled upon the other day. It's semi-rougelike with; permadeath, random start location, random loot, ect. Think Cataclysm with true multi-player and in a 3-D engine. Team work is very helpful as opposed to "lonewolf-ing", but you must be careful as there are no enforced teams and anything goes. Example: I came upon a guy being eaten by zombies: I having a lever-action shotgun made quick work of them. Then I walked up to the guy stopped his bleeding and fixed up his leg; he promptly shot me as soon as I turned my back to him. (That was a douche thing to do and most people you come across will happily join you, but you get the idea.)
Free Protip: People are more dangerous than zombies.

Features:
- Persistent world + Characters (The server auto-saves your profile when you quit)
- Navigation (You start with no map, compass, or watch)
- Vehicles (they are rare and take a lot of work to fix)
- Advanced injury and treatment (Bandages to stop bleeding, morphine to "fix" broken limbs, ect.)
- Atmosphere (Nights are very dark and without a light source you cannot see.  Double cool when your flare goes out with 20 zombies chasing you and you have to run in pitch black through the forest)
- working flashlights
- Custom made weapons
   - Crossbow with reusable bolts
- Zombies can knock you out in one hit

Gameplay videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOq3OrGEC7w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ&feature=relmfu

REQUIREMENTS: Arma II: Combined Ops. (Arma II + Arma II: Operation Arrowhead)
RECOMMENDED: Private Military Company DLC (For HD models)

Link:  http://www.dayzmod.com/index.php

Install instructions (hope they help):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyone want to get together and play? Steamgroup: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/bay12survivors
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:38:39 am by MasterFancyPants »
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Day Z -A Zombie mod for Arma 2
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 05:25:23 pm »

I'd be interested, except I don't have ARMA II...  Might want to post a link for that somewhere in OP as well.  Tell me when steam sells it for $4 as will doubtless happen eventually.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 06:15:10 pm »

interesting... what arma 2 does it require? the original or some expansions too like arrowhead?

actually the day z web shows it requires "combined operations"... that is both ? = probably needs arrowhead then or?

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 08:43:46 pm »

interesting... what arma 2 does it require? the original or some expansions too like arrowhead?

actually the day z web shows it requires "combined operations"... that is both ? = probably needs arrowhead then or?
Yes, It requires Vanilla and Op. Arrowhead.
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 08:54:29 pm »

hmmm... so what if i have arma 2 on dvd and arrowhead on steam? do i have to mishmash both installations together to get combined arms? or just throw the mod into arrowhead? (throwing it in vanilla doesnt seem to work)

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 09:09:04 pm »

hmmm... so what if i have arma 2 on dvd and arrowhead on steam? do i have to mishmash both installations together to get combined arms? or just throw the mod into arrowhead? (throwing it in vanilla doesnt seem to work)
Try using six-updater: http://www.six-updater.net/

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 09:19:47 pm »

How do I install it?
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 09:46:52 pm »

How do I install it?

I added directions as best as I could to the OP.

subzeroplainzero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 10:26:16 pm »

This sounds great! Is it possible to play single player, or at least save your game in multiplayer. I really wanted to play the dynamic zombie sandbox mod but it really put me off that I couldn't save and had to lose all my progress when I quit.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 10:30:48 pm »

This sounds great! Is it possible to play single player, or at least save your game in multiplayer. I really wanted to play the dynamic zombie sandbox mod but it really put me off that I couldn't save and had to lose all my progress when I quit.

When you quit the Multiplayer servers auto-save your character, but it's in Alpha so saves are lost quite often.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 11:49:43 pm »

This mod seems promising, but the mod is so pitch black when I play it. Seeing everything in red flares is just no fun.

Also I have a hard time finding other survivors, dang.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 12:38:13 am »

Do i need a legal version of Operation Arrowhead for this? I only have Arma II...

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 01:20:11 am »

Are there melee weapons?

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 11:22:27 am »

This mod seems promising, but the mod is so pitch black when I play it. Seeing everything in red flares is just no fun.

Also I have a hard time finding other survivors, dang.

That's part of playing at night, try playing during the day. Most people stick to the coast.

Do i need a legal version of Operation Arrowhead for this? I only have Arma II...

The Arrowhead demo may work, I don't know.

Are there melee weapons?

Nope and if there were you wouldn't want to use them, trust me.

agentorangesoda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 11:24:52 am »

It would be equally as unhealthy to use melee weapons in vanilla
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 58