Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 58

Author Topic: Day Z  (Read 217842 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Day Z - A Zombie mod for Arma 2
« Reply #600 on: June 26, 2012, 10:32:29 pm »

I spawned slightly outside of cherno and started to run torwards anywhere but there when I heard the sound of a engine. I hid myself from the road behind a fence and watched the two people on the bus get out and raid the gas station.

I had no weapons but it was the first time I wanted to kill someone to take their stuff.

They drove away honking and attracted every zombie that I could see. If you ever get a vehicle running, trust no one.

The correct course of action in this situation is to run or sneak over and try and steal the bus, failing that just casually get on and demand to be taken on a sightseeing tour of Chernarus. :P

dat second option. There is no way I'm not doing that.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 27, 2012, 02:41:33 am »

There's been a couple of servers where people established a free bus service, following the bus stops that actually are on the map.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 27, 2012, 10:09:39 am »

* [FIXED]   Too easy to break legs due to infected (reduced probability of leg damage, reduced amount of leg damage)

:D

* [NEW]    Set Bear Traps that break player and infected legs, kills animals, when activated

>:(

EDIT: This is all in the pending update. Nothing out yet.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 27, 2012, 10:20:29 am »

It is nice that with the inclusion of melee weapons you can now kill animals for food without alerting anyone in the area that you're there.
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 27, 2012, 10:22:48 am »

The bear traps are going to make us really miss morphine. Forced crawling everywhere is no fun.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 27, 2012, 10:28:49 am »

You know how at the moment those barbed wire fences are basically only used to annoy people by blocking access to buildings?

Now imagine Cherno or Electro filled with bear traps. Bear traps in every door way, every stairwell, every grassey area.

This is why I live in the wilderness.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 27, 2012, 11:49:14 am »

It's a social experiment because Rocket himself has stated time and time again, that this is more of an emotional social experiment over actually being a zombie survival simulator. He has stated time and time again, that zombies are a third party, and that the human emotion/reaction play is the main feast of the game.

This is why when people cry about the game being too pvp centric, they are just feeding him delicious tears.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:55:23 am by Vherid »

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 27, 2012, 12:19:58 pm »

It's a social experiment because Rocket himself has stated time and time again, that this is more of an emotional social experiment over actually being a zombie survival simulator. He has stated time and time again, that zombies are a third party, and that the human emotion/reaction play is the main feast of the game.

This is why when people cry about the game being too pvp centric, they are just feeding him delicious tears.

The thing is though... I mean the thing with that... Well the problem is that Rocket is kinda full of shit.

If it's such a social experiment about delicious tears, then when people realised the Arma2 engine has absolutely no protection to stop people from running any script they can think of, including spawning nukes on top of every player in the server, Rocket should've been over the moon about that! Instead he spat his dummy out and threw a tantrum. (Proving that his tears are the most delicious of all I guess?)

I mean Rocket also says it's "not a game" and yet it has a headshot score counter. Rocket just says things. The term "social experiment" implies some sort of hypothesis or goal. If giving people an envorment to interact in is a social experiment then everything and everyplace is a social experiment and the term is meaningless.

I mean Rocket removed the starting weapon and ammo because he wanted to limit early-game PVP. So obviously even he thinks it was too PVP centric? But then he keeps saying things to the contrary.

At this point the term "social experiement" has been so bastardized by the gaming press that it's just a buzzword.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 27, 2012, 01:23:26 pm »

The thing is though... I mean the thing with that... Well the problem is that Rocket is kinda full of shit.

If it's such a social experiment about delicious tears, then when people realised the Arma2 engine has absolutely no protection to stop people from running any script they can think of, including spawning nukes on top of every player in the server, Rocket should've been over the moon about that! Instead he spat his dummy out and threw a tantrum. (Proving that his tears are the most delicious of all I guess?)

I mean Rocket also says it's "not a game" and yet it has a headshot score counter. Rocket just says things. The term "social experiment" implies some sort of hypothesis or goal. If giving people an envorment to interact in is a social experiment then everything and everyplace is a social experiment and the term is meaningless.

I mean Rocket removed the starting weapon and ammo because he wanted to limit early-game PVP. So obviously even he thinks it was too PVP centric? But then he keeps saying things to the contrary.

At this point the term "social experiement" has been so bastardized by the gaming press that it's just a buzzword.

Yeah he's talked about himself raging, he's glad he does, he says it shows he still cares. Rocket removed the starting weapon because it was an idea he had and he's trying it out, it's not concrete, and it's not because he thought it was too PVP centric.

Also, these are coming from his personal replies on the forums themselves, not what some gaming website has said, so I really don't think you have a clue about what you're going on about there then.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 27, 2012, 01:29:21 pm »

As much as I enjoy Day Z, "social experiment" is just a codeword for "I'm making shit up as I go along."

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 27, 2012, 01:43:24 pm »

As much as I enjoy Day Z, "social experiment" is just a codeword for "I'm making shit up as I go along."

This is basically what I was getting at. It also carries the implication that no matter what happens you can't criticise because it's all an experiment so it's supposed to be that way!

Yeah he's talked about himself raging, he's glad he does, he says it shows he still cares. Rocket removed the starting weapon because it was an idea he had and he's trying it out, it's not concrete, and it's not because he thought it was too PVP centric.

Also, these are coming from his personal replies on the forums themselves, not what some gaming website has said, so I really don't think you have a clue about what you're going on about there then.

That'll be why he had anyone who ever ran a script in DayZ banned from playing Arma2 online then. Because he was so happy about it I guess? Maybe it's that he had a bit of a meltdown then after the fact tried so save face with "oh yeah totally what I wanted, I loved you guys really!"

Do you have any links to these replies, BTW? I'd honestly love to read them. I can't remember where I read that he took out the starting weapons to de-insentivise PVP, I'll have a look for it in a bit.

And I never said it was concrete, and that it isn't something he's just "trying out." But I know that he wiped all the tents a few patches ago specifically because people where building tent cities, yet he also talks in interviews how he hopes the game will one day be about rebuilding civilisation. And that he introduced the infection/disease mechanic because groups of players were congregating together (he might've been referring to specific groups of players?) and yet he claims the game is all about social interaction.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 27, 2012, 02:10:35 pm »

This is basically what I was getting at. It also carries the implication that no matter what happens you can't criticise because it's all an experiment so it's supposed to be that way!

That'll be why he had anyone who ever ran a script in DayZ banned from playing Arma2 online then. Because he was so happy about it I guess? Maybe it's that he had a bit of a meltdown then after the fact tried so save face with "oh yeah totally what I wanted, I loved you guys really!"

Do you have any links to these replies, BTW? I'd honestly love to read them. I can't remember where I read that he took out the starting weapons to de-insentivise PVP, I'll have a look for it in a bit.

And I never said it was concrete, and that it isn't something he's just "trying out." But I know that he wiped all the tents a few patches ago specifically because people where building tent cities, yet he also talks in interviews how he hopes the game will one day be about rebuilding civilisation. And that he introduced the infection/disease mechanic because groups of players were congregating together (he might've been referring to specific groups of players?) and yet he claims the game is all about social interaction.

When did I say anything about him being happy with the rage- what?

Hold on, I'll try to find the thread.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 27, 2012, 02:11:32 pm »

What is an experiment? You do something to something else and record the reaction.

Criticism is one such reaction. It's perfectly fine to criticize things.

Is he following proper scientific method? Hell no, but that doesn't mean it's not an experiment.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 27, 2012, 02:26:38 pm »

Alright there WAS/ORHIDDEN thread that was something like ROCKET FAQ and it was a collection of a shitload of rocket's posts explaining these types of rulings and matters. I don't know if it's deleted or rocket deleted it, or something but I can't find it now, after searching whole forum a few times, and a few sections through 20 pages, even though that only takes you to two days ago, that's ridiculous.

So I guess you have me beat there now, but it was a question and then a link regarding Rocket's replies in some other thread that would give a statement of the question in the FAQ. Maybe my history. Yep.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8979

Originally the thread was titled "The rocket said... FAQ", it's now been edited to just this, which does have the infected people aren't the main threat post, but it's missing a lot of things that used to be there.

Unless it really was deleted and the thread numbers overtake. In which case it doesn't exist and this is just some other thread coincidentally having the same link.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:28:34 pm by Vherid »

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 27, 2012, 04:06:19 pm »

When did I say anything about him being happy with the rage- what?

Hold on, I'll try to find the thread.

Yeah he's talked about himself raging, he's glad he does, he says it shows he still cares.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 58