Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 58

Author Topic: Day Z  (Read 217857 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Day Z - A Zombie mod for Arma 2
« Reply #630 on: July 09, 2012, 06:02:44 pm »

How long did you wait?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 09, 2012, 06:10:23 pm »

How long did you wait?

5+ minutes on a 32 ping server with a perfect installation. I fucking hate it.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 09, 2012, 06:17:50 pm »

5 minutes isn't gonna cut it.

You gotta wait a whiiiiiile, man. It's annoying, yes, but that's probably the main issue. You didn't wait long enough.

Of course, if THAT doesn't work, I don't know.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 09, 2012, 06:19:09 pm »

If that doesn't work, either create an account on their forum where they can address the issue, or email them.

Not going to be a whole lot of help here.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 09, 2012, 06:57:17 pm »

Finally got through. Arma tutorial never taught me how to open my inventory. Spawned in nighttime, nobody talking or anything. I basically shuffle around for a while before i loose it an just run, training a few zombies after me, eventually they loose track and i sneak around, only stopping to listen to the horrifying ambience. Eventually i ragequit because controls. :P

No tutorial tells me how to get out my flashlight.. someone help me..
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:15:47 pm by DrPoo »

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 09, 2012, 07:17:43 pm »

Finally got through. Arma tutorial never taught me how to open my inventory. Spawned in nighttime, nobody talking or anything. I basically shuffle around for a while before i loose it an just run, training a few zombies after me, eventually they loose track and i sneak around, only stopping to listen to the horrifying ambience. Eventually i ragequit because controls. :P

Play some normal Arma 2 scenarios first, until you get used to the control scheme.

What do you people find so hard about the controls anyway? Even when I was new to Arma I never had a problem.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 09, 2012, 07:22:52 pm »

Guys, if you're running 1.7.2, you might/probably will have problems connecting. I could connect about 100% of the time on 1.7.1.5 but since I updated I haven't been able to connect. From what I read on the Day Z forums, this is commonplace and has to do with either the new server code or 1.7.2. Rocket's working on it, give it a day or two. The servers are already fried from the heavy traffic anyways.

Some people seem to get the "Waiting for character to create" and others get stuck on "Loading".

What do you people find so hard about the controls anyway? Even when I was new to Arma I never had a problem.

I never seemed to have a problem with controls, although I did have some time to mess around with them since I played the demo for an hour before buying Combined Operations. I think the mouse-wheel menu options for switching weapons, getting in vehicles, etc. can be confusing at first. Also inventory management can be strange to figure out. Once you figure out how to use it it isn't as much of a pain.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:28:26 pm by The Mechanical Man »
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 09, 2012, 08:02:22 pm »

Arma II controls just fine, I don't get what's with everyone saying it's so damn hard to control.

You REALLY should go through every single Operation Arrowhead tutorial before playing Day-Z at least. And even then give some normal scenarios and missions some plays, just having A2:CO for Day-Z is a huge waste.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 09, 2012, 08:52:37 pm »

There seems to be some sort of conflict between the ArmA II beta patch 94444 and DayZ 1.7.2, or the DayZ update is bugged somehow. When running the DayZ mod I was unable to play any single player missions except for a few, and when I tried to play those few basically all the vehicles and weapons were not spawning. Disabling DayZ seems to have fixed these problems, as now everything is spawning correctly and missions are loading properly.

My advise (which is really true for every single DayZ update, I should have learned my lesson by now) is to just wait for some hotfixes to come out in the following days.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:05:24 pm by The Mechanical Man »
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 10, 2012, 06:25:36 am »

Arma II controls just fine, I don't get what's with everyone saying it's so damn hard to control.

You REALLY should go through every single Operation Arrowhead tutorial before playing Day-Z at least. And even then give some normal scenarios and missions some plays, just having A2:CO for Day-Z is a huge waste.

Maybe i should bite my own ass for wasting so much money for some stupid mod. I played the tutorial in normal arma, atleast the first one, i drove around then i had to shoot some tanks and i tried to get through that. Then this sabre team are like playing SMOD for Half-life on superhard with weapons realism topped off. Its completely impossible to hit anyone and theres no indicator for any aenemy or anything. I guess this is too hardcore for me. And if i cant survive that, im not gonna survive playing DayZ further than the few minutes of looking around and raging over completely unintuitive keys.

I found a freaking hatchet and i couldnt even equip it, rolling mousewheel revealed nothing and i tried to equip it and ended up dropping it. Then i got some zombies on my ass..

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 10, 2012, 06:27:54 am »

I don't know why but I found the need to reload the melee weapons really endearing. Also, the crowbar is actually godawful. Why would anyone ever pick it up, ever?

Because HL2

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 10, 2012, 07:03:16 am »

Then this sabre team are like playing SMOD for Half-life on superhard with weapons realism topped off. Its completely impossible to hit anyone and theres no indicator for any aenemy or anything.

One thing, if you haven't done this yet in video options change the 3d resolution to something equal to or bigger than your monitor resolution (if my monitor is 1920x1080, I would set the 3d resolution to that or something higher). Also, disable postprocess effects in advanced options. Doing both of these things will make the game look much clearer and sharper and can make it so much easier to see things in the distance. For some reason, the default video options leave ArmA II looking quite blurry.

I believe on the "Recruit" difficulty setting there are indicators for enemies- little round circles on your screen that show where they are. Try that at first. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:05:05 am by The Mechanical Man »

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 10, 2012, 10:16:49 am »

Yeah, I agree with The Mechanical Man - dropping down post processing not only clears a lot of the blurryness up, it stops the motion blur, bloom, and a lot of the really nasty effects that happen with severe blood loss. I'm not advocating "cheating" by tweaking options, but if you ever got down to ~2-4k blood with post process on full, you'll know that you can barely see trees 20ft in front of you, let alone who's shooting you at anything over a few feet away...

The 3d resolution is a lovely feature too - though setting it at anything other than direct multiples of your screen resolution seems odd - a lot of pixel shimmering, especially in the leaves of trees. OTOH, setting your 3D resolution to exactly twice your res (usually the last option in the list) gives a gorgeous clarity, way better than heaps of AA, imho. That's if your GPU can handle, erm, 4x the pixels...

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 10, 2012, 10:38:59 am »

If you're playing ARMA 2 with post-processing turned on you're some kind of masochist who hates himself and wants to fail at video games. Seriously it's terrible and the universal consensus is to just turn that crap off.

The controls for ARMA 2 aren't really that difficult or unintuitive (and you can just rebind anything that is?), it's just that it has a lot of non-standard buttons, like F changing firemodes and stuff, which other FPS games don't have. Also stuff like the inventory is a convoluted mess that's a proper pain in the ass to figure out.

Maybe i should bite my own ass for wasting so much money for some stupid mod. I played the tutorial in normal arma, atleast the first one, i drove around then i had to shoot some tanks and i tried to get through that. Then this sabre team are like playing SMOD for Half-life on superhard with weapons realism topped off. Its completely impossible to hit anyone and theres no indicator for any aenemy or anything. I guess this is too hardcore for me. And if i cant survive that, im not gonna survive playing DayZ further than the few minutes of looking around and raging over completely unintuitive keys.

I found a freaking hatchet and i couldnt even equip it, rolling mousewheel revealed nothing and i tried to equip it and ended up dropping it. Then i got some zombies on my ass..

Give the armoury a go. I got bored of whatever campaign it was I tried pretty quickly, but the armoury lets you pick out specific vehicles/weapons and gives you random missions to help you learn them. You also gradually unlock new stuff for it as you do the missions, which is cool.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 10, 2012, 10:41:35 am »

armory comes with the expansions, but it's quite cool

also, arma II ace mod gets the crown for the most messy key combos
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 58