Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Size and distance...  (Read 1019 times)

Mylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Size and distance...
« on: November 17, 2007, 04:12:00 am »

I'm curious on some people's design strategies.  How big or small do they normally make their fort?  My next for is going to have to be something more grand in scope to take advantage of all of the extra space, but I don't want to have my dwarves wasting a lot of time running around.  At the same time, without cave-in mechanics (or at least with practically no cave-in mechanics, anyway) it's easy to create extra-large storage rooms, like for all of that furniture.

So, grandeur, size (giant storage), and small paths for dwarves to walk are all important, and I'm interested in hearing how some people approach this.

For my own forts, I generally make a bunch of 6x7 or 7x7 rooms that can support 4 workshops and dig out a similar room above and below for storage of raw materials and finished goods.  This mostly works okay, until the fort gets bigger and the workshops still serve the entire fort but the storage does not.  Or maybe I need to give away more of my junk to the caravans.

I create a a large living space, often about 30 rooms or so per and build it up and down as required. giving it adequate space so it's distanced from my workshops.  IF there's magma, often my forges will be quite a bit of distance away for my main fort, though I don't have the patience to manage a second living quarters area / dining quarters / food stockpile just for those dwarves.