Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #18: Feedback  (Read 46527 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #18: Feedback
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 02:45:38 am »

Nice!

And yech, my computer had exactly the same HD failure. Researched it, apparently that is how all HD's die if you use them long enough, they just try to build enough redundancy in so you don't see the errors until after the average computer replacement time...

Of course, since yours was a XP computer.... :p

EDIT: DUDE! Everyone has assumed since Vamps don't drink alcohol, that's why they slow down... Toady said it happens when they don't drink BLOOD.

E2: Toady just said elsewhere it might be alcohol, as well. (since I made this a post elsewhere as well:p)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:40:24 am by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 03:38:23 am »

I have an appallingly edited version i just made that is leveled to make Rainseeker louder if anyone wants it? It is seriously rough though and screws up the music and is not really nice to listen to, just better.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 03:54:26 am »

Cool to hear about the post bugfixing plans, and Threetoes intro was great, made Bay12 sound like a household name in game development  8)
Toady touched upon fire and miasma AI, and recently mentioned dwarves dodging minecarts... would be interesting in a technical way, to hear more about how this is implemented and if this could be a generalized danger awareness system.  Was great to have another podcast, thanks!
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 05:04:43 am »

Sorry to hear about the move to Win7  :(

For backups, have y'all thought of using Google Backup?
I pay like $50.00 a year to backup 200GB, so I just have everything I own saved in my Gmail account (and encrypted too).
Makes it really sweet whenever I'm at a friend's house and I want to show something I own (I disdain laptops).

Good to hear you're paying attention to stuff.
Hopefully don't miss key issues with vampires / alcohol / water / stagnation / etc ...

Cheers.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 07:14:22 am »

I find it funny that toady knows less about some parts of his own game than the modders.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 07:28:29 am »

Rainseeker sounds scratchy but it's not too bad. Toady's tones are as smooth as ever and it's great to hear Threetoe.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-24-lightningtheblindcrossbowchampion <-- I think that's the blind dwarf you were referencing.

"Like the immune system or something, they deal with you." Best line of the talk.

I'm happy to hear animal people are going to be reined in. I guess I don't ever truly forget but it's good to be reminded of how switched on Toady and Threetoe are to the communities concerns and what they are currently doing with the game.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 10:52:32 am »

Does Toady sound different today?

Maybe it's just been too long since the last DF Talk...
[Signature]

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 11:25:06 am »

I have an appallingly edited version i just made that is leveled to make Rainseeker louder if anyone wants it? It is seriously rough though and screws up the music and is not really nice to listen to, just better.

I'd like it. I'm planning on listening in the car while I drive so I can't constantly mess with the volume.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 05:33:48 pm »

Wow, I so forgot about the blind crossbow dwarf.  He's still amazing after all this time.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 07:47:45 pm »

Rainseeker (or Bob) as a suggestion for the future

Don't record your audio 20 feet from the microphone. You are soooooo quiet.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 07:55:45 pm »

Perhaps the audio wasn't balanced during the production process, but I'm not sure, since I didn't edit it.  I'll let Tarn know.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 08:18:36 pm »

The hard limiting didn't work this time -- there was a sharp metallic thing coming through that made it painful when I evened out the amplitudes.  I'm not sure if there's a way to reduce that.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 08:51:29 pm »

This talk was so full of choice quotes.

I lol'd pretty hard at the "world is basically dying, except in your fort. Everyone is coming to your fort to breed to save the species" bit. Maybe that's why dwarven females that can breed do so back to back to back, right up until the day they die of old age.

It will be a pretty revolutionary change for gameplay when inheritance and succession comes in.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 09:24:30 pm »

If I play the fort 200 years, liaisons and human diplomats are going to drop dead when they enter the map. "it's the plague"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 01:40:18 am »

Here is a volume leveled version: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6205
Pages: 1 [2] 3