Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave Crocodile single-handedly halted the fort  (Read 855 times)

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave Crocodile single-handedly halted the fort
« on: July 19, 2007, 08:11:00 am »

Hi. My fort was doing pretty well in the late winter when a cave crocodile popped up from the cave river two squares from the only bridge. Next the dwarfs gave it some name, but oddly I noticed a huge crowd had started to pack on the left side of the cave river bridge. I turned on more error messages and they all complained about cave crocodile interrupting their actions. Soon they all turned hungry and tired, trying to access the food pile and barracks on the other side of the river, but not getting anywhere. Weirder yet, a part of the dwarfs walk across the bridge not caring about the crocodile at all.

This crowd that can't get anywhere includes my miner that I drafted for killing the thing initially, but now only wants to go to eat and sleep (not willing to dig a new hole for a bridge further up the river, either). I don't know if a melee fighter can even kill it, since the crocodile sways back and forth two to three squares off the bridge.

Is it restart time for the fort, and how to guard against this kind of thing in the future? Does just a crossbow and some bolts do the trick?

termitehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Crocodile single-handedly halted the fort
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 08:27:00 am »

just draft everyone and let them go at it

Blue Eagle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »

CRIKEY!!

Dryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 05:28:00 pm »

Try drafting your hunters (if you have them) as they are equiped and skilled.

If you lack anything military you can just whip up some cheap bone crossbows and bolts and hand them to some poor sucker.

You come back from the mansions of sleep with your pockets full of silverware.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 05:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dryn:
<STRONG>Try drafting your hunters (if you have them) as they are equiped and skilled.</STRONG>

And carpenters.

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 05:36:00 pm »

Miners can use their picks as weapons, with the mining skill as their weapon skill. Um. A good miner can usually kill most early threats.

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 07:24:00 pm »

But not if the croc remains out of melee reach. That can be a problem if you have no hunters.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 02:36:00 am »

Well i have no advice to give, in the 20 years of my fort we never had a single thing come out of our river but this isn't the kind of thing you would close a fort down to.

BTW, long shot guess, but did you get your name from the ventrillo harassment video on youtube where the guy says 'huh huh'?

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 06:02:00 am »

If you're VERY desperate dig further up the river and build another bridge?
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 08:11:00 am »

You might be able to prevent further such events by laying the riverside full of stone-fall traps. (In the areas where you don't farm.) That works pretty fine for me and trains up the mechanics, too.

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 09:34:00 am »

The majority of the fort is hungry and thirsty and ready to go to sleep by now. And the crocodile remains out of melee range... Drafting everyone for a final stand seems an appropriate way to finish this run. Next time, a hunter & a crossbow.

My name was a random pick?

[ July 20, 2007: Message edited by: huhu ]

Elshar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheekan.org
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 12:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ColonelTEE3:
<STRONG>Well i have no advice to give, in the 20 years of my fort we never had a single thing come out of our river </STRONG>

That's pretty amazing, I haven't had a fort yet when things DONT come out of the river. Seems like there's nothing I can do to stop the thing from spawning baddies either. I have lots of booze and even made a well in my barracks so they don't drink from the river  :)

arr!

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 01:21:00 pm »

There were several hundreds of drinks available for the dwarfs before and after the croc appeared, too...

But in the end, the panic situation ended up well for the dwarfs of Limârmistêm - after the whole population (17) got drafted, there were a few soldiers who were even able to patrol the length of the bridge. After diddly-daddlying in the river for a long while, the cave crocodile made a fatal mistake by swimming inside the range of the hunger-driven, crazed fighters. The resulting scene reached an amusing level of brutality, painting the whole cave river red in crocodile blood.

Crisis averted.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 02:53:00 pm »

Mmmm bloody
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.