Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cooking Plump Hemlets?  (Read 2455 times)

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cooking Plump Hemlets?
« on: August 17, 2006, 03:55:00 pm »

Is cooking plump helmets supposed to make their seeds never show up? My latest foretress was doing excellently, and easily made it through the winter thanks to the good supply of meat I brought and about 40 plump hemlet spawns, but they seem to have been cooked and eaten and come next spring, I've only got 5, and maybe 10 Plump Helment Biscuts left.

EDIT: And would it be possible to make it so you can process food plants to remove the seeds without having to use them up? If the dwarves can remove it when eating surely a trained farmer-dwarf can remove the seeds while leaving the edible/brewable parts.

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: Zereth ]

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking Plump Hemlets?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 05:09:00 pm »

The seeds can be cooked by accident, and some dwarves love plump helmet spawn as a food item.

I always make sure that the spawn aren't on the menu!

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: Captain_Action ]

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 05:17:00 pm »

Wait, is there a way to tell dwarves not to eat stuff? I can find where to cook/not cook things, and I don't think seeds are cookable unless you explicitly set them to be, but I cant' find a "don't eat this!" setting...

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 07:11:00 pm »

No! Dwarves will eat what they want to eat and you can't stop that. But, on the bright side, plump helmets are a food you can eat twice! If Toady ever fixes the cookable alcoholic drink bug/feature, then eatting some of the helmet spawn may be a very useful tatic.

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: Captain_Action ]

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 09:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Action:
<STRONG>No! Dwarves will eat what they want to eat and you can't stop that. But, on the bright side, plump helmets are a food you can eat twice! If Toady ever fixes the cookable alcoholic drink bug/feature, then eatting some of the helmet spawn may be a very useful tatic.

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: Captain_Action ]</STRONG>

I don't want them to eat it, I want them to carefully store it for spring so I can fertilize the hell out of my farm with potash I made over the winter and grow a ton of them!

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 10:14:00 pm »

It's been my experince that there isn't a way to prevent a dwarf from eating his favorite food.

Maybe I'm wrong on this.

Toady, can we get a ruling?

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 10:23:00 pm »

It would make sense for them to eat seeds rather than starve, but they should be on the very bottom of the list, after everything else has been eaten.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 02:02:00 am »

There is a way to prevent cooking plump helmets. Press 'z' then right arrow then Enter and then select plump helmets and press 'c'. Now you won't accidentally run of plump helmet seeds.

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 02:09:00 am »

True, Grue, that stops the cooking. But some dwarves have a love of the spawn. That is what I am wondering on how to prevent.

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: Captain_Action ]

Oboro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 02:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Action:
<STRONG>True, Grue, that stops the cooking. But some dwarves have a love of the spawn. That is what I am wondering on how to prevent.

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: Captain_Action ]</STRONG>

My dwarves have never eaten raw spawn. I don't think it's possible, actually.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 02:20:00 am »

These are obviously dwarven sabotagers sent by your enemies to deplete your seed resources. Get rid of them immediately!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 03:48:00 pm »

Aside from various workarounds, you know, like floodrooms, I don't think there's a way to stop dwarves from eating their favorites.  Banning brewing and cooking requires the dwarf to think 2 steps, so it's not a law they'd be as likely to violate to get at their favorites.  Banning eating is different -- if I allow it, I'd probably let them break it with justice ramifications if they are greedy or hungry.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 05:22:00 pm »

Can we turn off the cooking of alcohol in the kitchen menu?  The dwarves seem to be cooking my wine into biscuits as fast as I can make it, then complaining that they need alcohol to get through the day...

Or maybe it wasn't on the list because all of it had been cooked away at the moment.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

bloodyfool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 05:25:00 pm »

Alcohol can indeed be turned off in the kitchen screen, as long as you have some in stock.

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 05:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bloodyfool:
<STRONG>Alcohol can indeed be turned off in the kitchen screen, as long as you have some in stock.</STRONG>

Does it keep the "don't cook this" status if you run out then make more?
Pages: [1] 2