Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mine carts: Why yes, lets weaponize them before the release!  (Read 4727 times)

Armv

• Bay Watcher
  • Factotum Savant
    • View Profile
Mine carts: Why yes, lets weaponize them before the release!
« on: April 21, 2012, 06:23:45 pm »

Here's a thought for you Bay12 forum goers, we know that the mine carts are going to preserve momentum, yes? How shall we utilize this feature in the most dwarfy fashion possible?

Two possible options come to mind. That of a long ramp -- but more volatile (And therefore fun) -- would be a water cannon. The classical design of using pressurized water to explode out a corridor can be turned into a rail gun. In theory at least -- we attached an air lock to the 'output' of it, and from there we place a mine cart at the air lock. ...shall the pressurized water send the mine cart flying at super-sonic speeds? We shall see. Only !!SCIENCE!! can tell. But anyways. Thoughts on this concept?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Mine carts: Why yes, lets weaponize them before the release!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 06:27:09 pm »

Toady has said that minecarts will be slowed by traveling through water... If it's actually interacting with the water rather than being slowed by a simple if-then statement in the code, it'll work, I think - but it depends on how Toady decided to code it.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 06:31:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 06:53:20 pm »

Dwarves in metal boxes.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 06:57:15 pm »

Here's a thought for you Bay12 forum goers, we know that the mine carts are going to preserve momentum, yes? How shall we utilize this feature in the most dwarfy fashion possible?

Two possible options come to mind. That of a long ramp -- but more volatile (And therefore fun) -- would be a water cannon. The classical design of using pressurized water to explode out a corridor can be turned into a rail gun. In theory at least -- we attached an air lock to the 'output' of it, and from there we place a mine cart at the air lock. ...shall the pressurized water send the mine cart flying at super-sonic speeds? We shall see. Only !!SCIENCE!! can tell. But anyways. Thoughts on this concept?
Pressurized water doesn't move ANYTHING, including future minecarts.  The water just teleports to the first available air space, and then more water teleports to the next air space.  None of it flows at all during the rush of water, though, so no items are moved.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 07:08:43 pm »

Pressurized water doesn't move ANYTHING, including future minecarts.  The water just teleports to the first available air space, and then more water teleports to the next air space.  None of it flows at all during the rush of water, though, so no items are moved.
Actually, water does move items, pressurized or not (though a trickle of water won't move anything at all). I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between how far pressurized and unpressurized water can move items, though.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 07:13:52 pm »

I'm quite certain pressurized water does not move things.  Water that is spreading at less than 7/7 does, though not all that fast.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 07:17:54 pm »

Ahhh, misread what he said, my mistake. Sorry about that, GavJ. You're right, of course.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 07:18:36 pm »

Minecart drive-byes. That is all.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 07:19:26 pm »

Minecart drive-byes. That is all.

Kobold cancels read book, driveby!

Kobold cancels flee, turf war.

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 07:22:10 pm »

Minecarts full of !!Lignite bin!!s violently derailing in the middle of a goblin siege.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 07:23:58 pm »

Minecarts full of !!Lignite bin!!s violently derailing in the middle of a goblin siege.

Lobsters are adorable.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 07:52:48 pm »

Build gigantic launch ramps, rain ballistic minecarts on siege.

> The flying +mine cart+ strikes the Goblin Lasher in the lower body and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 07:56:38 pm »

Lobsters are adorable.

Lobster

+

Minecart

+

Alcohol

=

Lobster Rage Minecart

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 08:04:39 pm »

minecart with a contagious blood fb in it.
Pages: [1] 2