Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sterile, muddy caverns?  (Read 4438 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sterile, muddy caverns?
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:10:18 am »

So, I embarked on what appeared to be a volcanic glacier, with no vegetation around.

Actually, there's precious little ice, but no trees.

Finally, when the population has used up my precious cargo of imported logs, I've tunnelled down to the caverns, to find them muddy but with nothing growing - no fungi, no trees, no shrubs...

Aside from having to rely on caravans to bring wood, and not being able to support grazing animals, it's not that bad, but does this sort of thing happen often, and, if so, why?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sterile, muddy caverns?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:18:59 am »

It happens rarely.

All of the underground plants except for blood thorns occur only in wet biomes. Although they're not usually apparent, there are biomes underground (they aren't in the same places surface biomes are, either). If there is no water anywhere in a particular underground biome, that biome is dry, so no plants except for blood thorns will grow in them, and since blood thorns occur only on the third layer, that means that a dry biome for the first 2 layers will be completely barren. I don't recall whether there's different biomes for each layer or not, so digging to the other 2 caverns may bear fruit.

If you change the world gen settings so that the minimum water is higher than 0, such things will be even less common than usual and perhaps impossible.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:21:39 am »

It's a side effect of not having water in your caverns. Try digging down to the deeper ones, since the levels are generated separately there is only an extremely small chance that all three lack water. You can prevent this in the future by changing the "Layer Water Minimum:X" (Or maybe it was "Cavern Layer Water Minimum", something like that) to a number that is higher then zero. Personally I prefer having the minimum set to something like 10, and the maximum to something like 90. This ensures that I'll always be guaranteed to have some water in my caverns, but it also guarantees that I'm not going to end up with a cavern layer that is 100% water without any land in it.

Edit: Dang Ninja!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 01:34:02 am »

Thanks guys - but there's mud - doesn't that mean there was water, once, or does it need to be real, wet water?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 01:34:39 am »

needs real water
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 01:35:14 am »

It needs to be real water. If you penetrate a lower level with water (or reach a level that has blood thorn trees, those can grow even in waterless caverns) then those plants should start to grow on the empty level above, but until that point your cavern will remain empty.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.