Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why is most of this forum based on fortress mode?  (Read 5269 times)

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
Re: Why is most of this forum based on fortress mode?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 09:42:18 am »

Because adventurer mode is still pretty bare-bones.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 11:45:20 am »

For the most part, DF doesn't do the adventure aspect as well as other roguelikes. It only gets a little more interesting when you are adventuring in a fort you made in *gasp* fortress mode.

So yea, not only is fortress mode multitudes more fleshed out, but adventure mode gets a good section of its fun from fortress mode creations.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 11:51:23 am »

Mind you, I wish adventure mode was more fleshed out. It desperately needs it and reflects badly on the game as a whole.
It's just no use fluffing it up to sound like something awesome.

It has potential to be something awesome, though.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:02:53 pm by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 03:26:13 pm »

There's more in it.

This, realy. I like cities as much as the next person, but you very well cannot build your own in adventure mode, ehh?
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 04:41:27 pm »

It's the more unique part. Adventure mode is basically "Dwarf Fortress the rogue-like", and I much prefer other Rogue-likes to Adventure mode.

But Fortress mode is the only game where i can build a fort, filled with individualistic dwarves, dynamic industry, unique artifacts, and the sense of achievement of surviving against the odds. The ability to build grand structures and become a trade capital are what make it an amazing experience.
There is also a greater sense of consequence, when a dwarf dies they are dead. They may be a simulation, but you will never see them again.

But most of all is the unique and randomness, The dwarves who do the amazing and unexpected; the times where the weird and wonderful intersect.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 04:53:35 pm »

Eventually, there's gonna be a hell of a lot more stuff to do in both modes, to the point where both are recognized on the same level and are equally as fun and rewarding. Right now, adventure mode is pretty bare because fortress mode has been the main focus for now. I love both modes, but I prefer fortress mode more. The development page has a lot of stuff on it, most of it related to adventure mode. I read one of the older development pages on the wiki and almost had a heart attack thinking of the stuff you could do on adventure mode.

Anyway, most of the forums is based on fortress mode because it is more complete (as much as you could say that for DF, at least) than adventure mode. It has a lot more possibility right now, but that will change in the distant future. There are some hardcore adventure mode players, though.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 01:50:59 pm »

Adventure mode is just Rogue. Rogue was an outstanding game, but there are endless Rogue clones you can play today.

Rogue clones I highly recommend are the Diablo and Torchlight games.

Fortress mode has a very tiny number of games in the same genre. There's Dungeon Keeper, Evil Genius, DF Fortress mode...and thats about it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 02:50:41 pm »

Eventually, there's gonna be a hell of a lot more stuff to do in both modes, to the point where both are recognized on the same level and are equally as fun and rewarding. Right now, adventure mode is pretty bare because fortress mode has been the main focus for now. I love both modes, but I prefer fortress mode more. The development page has a lot of stuff on it, most of it related to adventure mode. I read one of the older development pages on the wiki and almost had a heart attack thinking of the stuff you could do on adventure mode.

Society and the world need more life before you can really poke at it in first person.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 04:24:57 pm »

There's more in it.

This.
Relitivly speaking, adventure mode is quite straight forward. Fortress mode is far more complex and so has more to discuss, as well as more need to discuss it so as to try and make sence of it (ie. !!science!!).
Pages: 1 [2]