Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Minecart damage sounding a little too good?  (Read 11551 times)

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minecart damage sounding a little too good?
« on: April 21, 2012, 08:12:00 pm »

Am I the only one worried that the new minecart physics, while cool, are going to ruin any "fun" that might possibly happen from this release on?  Why risk dwarves in wars when you just blow the enemies apart rolling minecarts onto them?  Who would care about HFS syndromes when the only things at risk are minecarts, which probably can't get sick?   And so on.

The realism is appreciated, but the less blatant game breaking exploits there are, the better, imo - it's not like they are hard to find already, and siege engines are unimpressive enough without minecarts stealing all their thunder.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart damage sounding a little too good?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 08:21:49 pm »

I doubt you can set up tracks outside, as rails can only be placed on stone.

I doubt a FB is going to be in the EXACT square to get hit at the EXACT moment the minecraft hits,
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 08:56:40 pm »

Am I the only one worried that the new minecart physics, while cool, are going to ruin any "fun" that might possibly happen from this release on?  Why risk dwarves in wars when you just blow the enemies apart rolling minecarts onto them?
Enemies can dodge minecarts. If you cleverly set up a death corridor with no room to dodge and build a high ramp to accelerate minecarts into the faces of your enemies, and then successfully funnel your enemies through there, then you should be able to deal with your enemies that way. It's not more powerful than magma.
Who would care about HFS syndromes when the only things at risk are minecarts, which probably can't get sick?
Somebody has to set up the tracks. Those dwarves will be at risk. Instead of trying to set up an entire track system for every FB you find, you'd be better off deploying them. If you want to put in the extra work to wipe them out without risking your dwarves, you should be allowed to. It would be easier to do with cave ins, though.

The realism is appreciated, but the less blatant game breaking exploits there are, the better, imo - it's not like they are hard to find already, and siege engines are unimpressive enough without minecarts stealing all their thunder.
Seige weapons will be getting an overhaul in the army arc. Additionally, they are quite powerful right now. Just set them up and everything in a line is at risk of damage, the same as with a minecart. But ammo is far quicker to produce, and you don't need to worry about building tracks and setting up methods to generate acceleration.
I doubt you can set up tracks outside, as rails can only be placed on stone.
Unless I'm mistaken, this is false. Carved tracks are stone only, but constructed tracks should be viable anywhere.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:12:31 pm by Cruxador »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 08:59:27 pm »

Rails can be put on constructed floors, I think, and there's nothing stopping you putting those outside.

Some of the changes sound a bit too gamey to me. Like being able to fly minecarts over gaps perfectly. People seem to love the idea but it seems lame to me. Mine carts becoming an effective weapon of war would be silly in my opinion. But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 09:50:23 pm »

I like flying minecarts over gaps because it creates one-way gates. That can help segment a fort if you want.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 10:18:48 pm »

Long Hallways filled with Cage Traps already exist.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 10:35:53 pm »

Just because one thing is too powerful doesn't mean that everything should be overpowered. That doesn't make any sense.

Dvalinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 10:41:27 pm »

Long Hallways filled with Cage Traps already exist.
That's what I was about to point out.

The way the game is currently, if you want a challenge, you have to look for one. Set restrictions on yourself. Embark under difficult circumstances. Set goals, some of which might have time limits. It's not ideal, but such is alpha, and I'd imagine that even a "balanced" version of the game post-initial release (in 30 years or so) would have its limits as far as difficulty goes so people would still go about imposing extra challenges that the game doesn't impose.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 05:32:32 am »

Are you somehow implying that goblin-pin-bowling wont be Fun?

That makes me very, very sad.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 06:33:07 am »

FB are HUGE. Minecarts are not going to do jack shit about them.
Goblins are multiple. You won't be able to "reload" your minecart-cannons fast enough to stop them from coming in.

I mean, come on, look at ballista. A metal ballista arrow can kill anything. Do you use it often? Does it WORK when you try?

A tunnel vision is helpful sometimes, but not in this case, nukularpower. You see one "overpowered" element without looking at all other facts which work against it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 09:43:17 am »

Hello!

I agree with those who don't see much of a problem there. As far as I can tell, if you don't choose to exploit the mine carts as weapon, they are unlikely to become them. Mine carts are mainly there to transport goods to and from stockpiles and probably excavation and production areas. While the caverns and things below are likely to be connected to the excavation mine cart system, sieges and any surface perils are unlikely to encounter your mine carts unless you explicitly design it so - especially if we are talking about mine carts that have any speed above dwarven walking speed.

I don't see mine carts as a universal issue as opposed, for instance, to the inability of invaders to dig and other movement impediments which make defense relatively easy unless you put explicit limitations on your designs.

Yours,
Deathworks

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 10:26:34 am »

If you think that minecarts flying over gaps and landing on rails perfectly is bad, simply don't make gaps .The same is valid for cannons and rapecarts.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 10:27:48 am »

My guess is there's going to need to be an opening in your fortress's defences to even be able to get the deathcart rolling. I may be wrong, though.

That said, I'd imagine it would be a difficult task to even get enemies standing on the track.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 10:52:25 am »

I'm not sure of the max velocities but clowns ARE big, I'm not certain carts would be very effective against them. 

It would probably be easy to get the carts to max velocity down there, and weight can be changed, but we aren't certain yet what the max velocity or max weight is.  It might be impractical to get a cart heavy enough to significantly injure any but the loose materiel ones.   It would make lead useful at least I suppose, but even with lead we don't know the limit to what a cart can carry.

I do see a bit of OPness against sieges though.  Three tracks side by side out the fortress gate with pits on each side, and a small tower with some loaded carts lined up, and three dwarves stationed up there pushing the carts down at roughly the same time.  I do use ballista, and to great effect.  You just need to know when to fire, when to hold, and how to design your gate.  I imagine it will be the same with carts, just easier to fire multiple at once without risk of collateral damage.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 12:50:25 pm »

Rails can be put on constructed floors, I think, and there's nothing stopping you putting those outside.

You can't put them on constructed floors, but they can go outside.

Quote from: Heph
Will it be possible to deploy tracks on build/smothed surfaces? Will dwarves use Minecarts as a form of public transport?

You can carve them whereever you can detail, and you can place them whereever you can construct floors.
[Signature]
Pages: [1] 2 3